Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 02:07 PM

7 posts, read 28,807 times

Advertisements

Hi
I am a newbie to this site, and I have some concerns thanks to my husband.
I have been in the US now for 7 years after marrying a firefighter from San Francisco. We have lived in the Napa Valley area the whole time I have been here, and because of our failed relationship, and partly due to some influence from a close friend who is from Longview, he has encouraged me to move their with my 3 children.
Because my husband and I are temporarily parting, I am tempted to move to Longview and I expressed my desire in doing so to him... he informed me that Texas is "redneck" country(to which I still have yet to meet) and that his perception of a redneck was that they ranged from lower to middle class and that they tended to racism. Since I do not have a clue, and my understanding was that Rednecks were just basically country types...I am concerned that he maybe right as I am a New Zealand born Native and my children are as well. My husband says that some redneck Texans have an attitude of "you dont belong here" and if that is true,(which I doubt) I dont want to subject my children to that.
excuse my ignorance but can someone please enlighten me on the area and subject?
By the way, I am in no way, shape of form racist...I just want my family to have a healthy , happy upbringing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 03:20 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
Ah, the stereotypes of Texas and Texans. No, not everyone is racist. The term "redneck" can mean many things. To some that are not familiar w/ the South it has a negative image planted in their head. To those of us from the South it means simply we are hardworking, value family, etc. The image that some equate to the term "redneck" in our neck of the woods is more often referred to as simply "trash". Hence the term "trailer trash" comes about or even "white trash". But realistically, you will see people that fit all of these descriptions EVERYWHERE in the country. I'm in a more upscale area of the Dallas metroplex and there are many here that would even say they are "redneck" but it is in the way I described being hardworking and value family and such. So don't worry about it at all. Be yourself most importantly and if your friendly and outgoing (which most people from NZ tend to be that I have met) you will be fine. I actually LOVE their accents. I was just a bit earlier today speaking w/ a neighbor that just returned from a trip to New Zealand visiting family over the holidays. I'm in the Dallas area and I know of many people that live very close to me that have family in the South Pacific be it New Zealand or Australia.

If moving to Longview means that your children will have both parents close by w/o having to deal w/ crosscountry flights for visits and such, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the acceptance level here. Granted there may be the very few that will not be but that is everywhere and don't pay those people any attention.

Good luck

Old 01-08-2007, 04:02 PM

216 posts, read 935,029 times
I'm from Longview and yes, there are certainly a number of big pickup trucks driven by men (and women) wearing flannel shirts, cowboy hats, wrangler jeans, and dirty cowboy boots. Many of those trucks have Ducks Unlimited stickers on their back windows, mud covering the fenders, and a trailer in tow with one or two four wheelers aboard.

If that is what your ex sees as a redneck, then we surely have quite a few of 'em. But these people are just as likely to be bank presidents, plant managers, "firefighters", or school principals. Any idea of connecting their choices of activities, vehicles, and style of dress with racism, wealth, or character is absurd.

You will see as wide a variety of individuals in Longview as you would anywhere else. This is a good town with lots of wonderful people. This is a city of 70,000+ with several small towns nearby. There are problems here that would be associated with any town of similar size. While not perfect, it has been a wonderful place to raise my family.

Even though I don't own a big pickup, a cowboy hat, cowboy boots, a 4-wheeler, a dirt bike, a shotgun, a golden retriever, a spitoon, a horse, an oil well, a pair of Carhart coveralls, a pair of Wranglers, or a confederate flag ... and even though I don't dip Copenhagen, listen to country music, watch CMT, or care anything about the Larry the Cable Guy and the Blue Collar Comedy Tour ... I have many wonderful friends that do. I feel right at home and am proud to call this place home.

I have good friends from church who moved from Orange County to just outside of Longview and they absolutely love it here. They have a hard time understanding certain things about East Texans for sure, but they are more than happy with their decision to move here.

Last edited by ripley; 01-08-2007 at 05:23 PM..

Old 01-08-2007, 04:53 PM

147 posts, read 241,237 times
Default Anti-Southern Bigotry

The anti-southern bigotry gets really old. Those who brag about how tolerant they are lack tolerance themselves.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:08 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,383,801 times
aint nothin' wrong with us rednecks! )

Old 01-08-2007, 05:24 PM

660 posts, read 2,441,609 times
are there any parts of texas to stay away from if your new in town?

Old 01-08-2007, 05:32 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,383,801 times
if you are a city person from NYC i would think assimilating yourself into the culture of any rural country town in Texas would be a culture shock.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:46 PM

7 posts, read 28,807 times
Thank you all for the replies...they have reassured me indeed. I am leaning strongly to going there if everything else this way marries up. I worked in the large city environment as a young woman, was brought up as a young child into my teens...suburbia style, and raised my kids country, so Ive been in all lifestyles of living.
Truth be known, I am not fond of California or the "shallowness" I have accounted whilst living here. The cost of living is outrageous as well.
SO, much like 7 years ago, I left my family, friends, homeland, and all that I knew to come to the US alone. I guess I will be doing the same again, packing up and moving to a place where my children and I have to readjust again without knowing a soul.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:06 PM

437 posts, read 2,239,360 times
Don't worry, you won't be alone. Wish you lots of luck.

We too are going to Texas but without our children. They are in their 40's now and think we have lots our minds. No, we lost our minds here in Calif. Now we are moving on to be free.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:54 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,226,515 times
The real definition of a redneck is an uneducated white farm laborer, especially from the South; a bigot from the rural working class. I wouldn't worry too much about any of it.

I, too, am from CA but lived there many years ago when it was America's dream state. I still miss it, but I only miss what it once was.

The silliest thing I've been called since living in Texas is a Yankee (Duh! I don't think a Californian is a Yankee), and I've been told even recently after living here for 28 years not to spread it around that I'm originally from California. Now that is pretty much the attitude of a bigot aka a redneck.

One just has to laugh at such a mentality as it really is a fun topic of conversation when people need a chuckle. Just don't tell it to the rednecks.

I wish you God speed as you and your children start another chapter in your lives. May only the best be yours, and may you enjoy the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas