Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:16 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastender67 View Post
“The origins of this term Redneck are Scottish and refer to supporters of the National Covenant and The Solemn League and Covenant, or "Covenanters", largely Lowland Presbyterians, many of whom would flee Scotland for Ulster (Northern Ireland) during persecutions by the British Crown. The Covenanters of 1638 and 1641 signed the documents that stated that Scotland desired the Presbyterian form of church government and would not accept the Church of England as its official state church.
Many Covenanters signed in their own blood and wore red pieces of cloth around their necks as distinctive insignia; hence the term "Red neck", (rednecks) which became slang for a Scottish dissenter*. One Scottish immigrant, interviewed by the author, remembered a Presbyterian minister, one Dr. Coulter, in Glasgow in the 1940's wearing a red clerical collar -- is this symbolic of the "rednecks"?
Since many Ulster-Scottish settlers in America (especially the South) were Presbyterian, the term was applied to them, and then, later, their Southern descendants. One of the earliest examples of its use comes from 1830, when an author noted that "red-neck" was a "name bestowed upon the Presbyterians." It makes you wonder if the originators of the ever-present "redneck" joke are aware of the term’s origins - Rednecks?”
. . . from Scottish History Online
You know, I've wondered that, too. I don't know if you wrote what I bolded above, eastender, or if it was part of the article but I've read of the origins of the term in many places and they are similar to this. Seems to me it would be a source of pride. Too many people these days are equating "redneck" with "white trash" and that's not necessarily the case. My husband, who is from a small town east of Dallas, proudly calls himself a redneck. He has an independent, sometimes stubborn streak, can take care of himself and his family, can fish and hunt, questions authority (not in a bad way), likes big trucks, is Southern, etc. Just the sort of traits that people used to think of rednecks as having. Nowadays, it's any white trash idiot across the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 11:50 AM

9 posts, read 27,312 times
Default Us Rednecks is pretty tolerant Folk

Hey folks, a little perspective here on 'rednecks' and 'racism'. Frankly, one doesn't have to look too deeply to see that african americans are the most 'racist' people in the country. They think and talk about race 24/7, as if there are no other pervasive issues in the Universe that need attending to. This is not only uber tiresome, it is incredibly dysfunctional. They are addicted to the term, because they think they can manipulate everyone to get exactly what they want, by flashing the 'race card' first thing. It would be a far better thing for them to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, if necessary, like the rest of us, and just INTEGRATE. But, they are obviously first and foremost isolationist. Frankly, the term 'Redneck' could obviously be viewed as an offensive racial slur against white people. Of course, they use it freely. This is because they have been enculturated by their leaders (and with a lot of help from leftie libs) to think they can perpetrate a Double Standard. And they do about everything. Just take a look at Oprah.. This needs to change, because it's the Double Standard that's the problem. The same rules gotta apply to everyone; black, white, rich, poor, or we no longer have a Democracy. BTW, many of our best minds come from 'redneck' cultures. Like a lot of the people working at Nasa.. I for one, am from a 'redneck' culture, yet I managed to graduate Summa *** Laude from college with straight A's and all kinds of other honors, as well. Go figure..

Old 09-07-2008, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 6,287 times
Default Looking to relocate to east Texas

My husband and myself with our two children, 11 and 13, are looking to relocate to east Texas. We are looking for information on the job market, real estate, and schools (the most important for our childrens future). I grew up in Louisiana so I know all about the redneck factor so I do not need to have the conversation about to redneck or not to redneck. We currently live in New Mexico and do not like living here anymore. It use to be really laid back here and people seemed to care about one another. If you are looking at relocating, do not move to Albuquerque. The people have changed here in the last 3 years and if you care about your safety this is not the place to move. People here do not know how to drive or read traffic signs. I would just like to know that we would be able to get a job because without a job we would not be able to get a house or take care of ourselves. Thank you for any help you may be able to give us.

Kristi

Old 09-07-2008, 11:50 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,082,814 times
What do know about Longview or Tyler ? same in a view ways but actually very different and only 35 miles apart. Pull up both Tyler and Longview under city data by state then by city to find out what others are saying. The job market is much better in Lonview right now, if you have medical experience that's the growth area in Tyler as well as some financial/banking etc. Longvew, Tyler schools quality, about the same, with a slight nudge to Tyler. Tyler area has 4 private schools thru grade 12 but again, cost money, however, Lindale, Bullard and Whitehouse which set at the Tyler city limits are quite good school systems. Now, Tyler has the lowest city property tax in Texas of any town over 30,000 population but homes are not cheap but by national standards yes, Tyler - Longview pretty much the same on home cost. Much lower crime rate in Tyler. Tyler, more white collars jobs Longview, blue collar jobs but again Longview has a higher tax rate because they do what is necessary to create jobs and that is pay compaines to move there - incentive in the form of dollars. Tyler will finally do this in the near future but that won't help you today. Tyler is more of a retirement center and the Medical Center of East Texas. Serving maybe 350,000 people. Level one trauma center the only one in East Texas and one of only a limited number in Texas. Job's Longview - pretty much everything else maybe Tyler. Good luck on your move - welcome to East Texas !!

Old 09-07-2008, 07:22 PM

189 posts, read 628,767 times
Pixy, what type of jobs would you be looking for? Good luck with your hope to move.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:51 PM

7 posts, read 28,251 times
My wife and I moved to Longview this last February. The job market is pretty strong and real estate prices are very competitive, compared to other areas of the country. You can get a lot of house for your dollar here.

Regarding race and rednecks, don't fall for the stereotypes. We are an interracial couple, and have had no trouble at all. Every place that we'be been, has been very welcoming and the people are extremely friendly. We do not regret our decision to move at all.

We are planning to start building a home next month.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,390 times
Exclamation Here's a Job in Longview, TX

Hello everyone!

I have a job opening for an assembler I in Longview, TX with a High School diploma or equivalent training/experience.

Under general management direction within a team environment, the Production Associate I performs basic assembly, inspection, material handling, packaging, and special processes. Includes basic machine operation, preventive maintenance. Requires knowledge of processes, standards, and procedures.

Ability to read procedures and process instructions in English. Standard visual skills required to read component values.
All other special skill requirements like soldering, workmanship standards, ESD, machine operation, etc will be taught in-house.
Physical requirements specific to job assignment.

I got 3 Positions and all are 1st Shift (7:00 am - 3:45 pm CT). If you or anyone you know is interested send me your resume to nelson.abreu AT acsicorp DOT com.

Take care!

Old 06-16-2009, 11:38 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizareja View Post
Hi
I am a newbie to this site, and I have some concerns thanks to my husband.
I have been in the US now for 7 years after marrying a firefighter from San Francisco. We have lived in the Napa Valley area the whole time I have been here, and because of our failed relationship, and partly due to some influence from a close friend who is from Longview, he has encouraged me to move their with my 3 children.
Because my husband and I are temporarily parting, I am tempted to move to Longview and I expressed my desire in doing so to him... he informed me that Texas is "redneck" country(to which I still have yet to meet) and that his perception of a redneck was that they ranged from lower to middle class and that they tended to racism. Since I do not have a clue, and my understanding was that Rednecks were just basically country types...I am concerned that he maybe right as I am a New Zealand born Native and my children are as well. My husband says that some redneck Texans have an attitude of "you dont belong here" and if that is true,(which I doubt) I dont want to subject my children to that.
excuse my ignorance but can someone please enlighten me on the area and subject?
By the way, I am in no way, shape of form racist...I just want my family to have a healthy , happy upbringing.
No offense but your husband doesn't know what he is talking about. He's obviously never been to Texas. I live in Houston and there aren't many rednecks here. Here we have a bunch of city slickers that don't know how to use a turn signal or drive for that matter. I know some people around the country think Texas is a land of rednecks since it is a red state but not everybody in red states is rednecks. Most people in red states are Republicans because they believe in low taxes and not giving their hard earned money away to people that don't want to work aka welfare. It's not that they're rednecks it's just that they have a different viewpoint than liberals do. Here in Houston most people are Democrats. Obama won Houston and Harris County in 2008. So Texas has it's fair share of liberals. So Texas isn't any more redneck than California. We do know how to manage our money much better than California though. We're not bankrupt.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:42 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,490,620 times
Frodo why are you digging these redneck posts up and making your own?
Are you considering east texas and afraid of a stigma, or are you just trying to dog an area?

Old 06-17-2009, 07:01 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Frodo why are you digging these redneck posts up and making your own?
Are you considering east texas and afraid of a stigma, or are you just trying to dog an area?
If you look at my post above it's obvious I'm not dogging east Texas or rednecks. I defended Texas against all these untrue stereotypes that some people around the country seem to have. I started my own post because I'm curious what people think about east Texas other than what I've been hearing all these years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas