Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 01:18 PM

21 posts, read 72,089 times

Advertisements

My cousin and I are coming to Texas for a week in June or July. We'll probably be staying in Jasper, but are wondering if there are activities we "have" to do while driving around the area. Anything that just screams "East Texas must-do?" Thanks, Sam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 02:43 PM

595 posts, read 2,722,685 times
Are you male or female....a lot of what I would suggest would depend on that.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:04 PM

Two girls needing a bit of adventure.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:38 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,155 times
Oh, my. I hope you're easily entertained!

The only thing I can think of interesting in that area is in the Big Thicket......the Alabama-Coushatta Indian Reservation - they have some tourist things, interesting, educational, very 'different' from the rest of the world.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:55 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
Also a good place to collect petrified wood.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:03 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
A "bit' as in little bit, is about what you will "get". How far are you willing to "adventure" away? Maybe the Oil Musem in Kilgore, sorta neat, a re-creation of a street scene from an oil boom town of the 1930's when the largest known oil field in the world at that time was discovered. Not really an "adventure" nothing really screams East Texas but maybe the pine trees of the Jasper area. What do you consider as a possiblity of an adventure?

Old 02-16-2009, 04:40 PM

Getting away from Southern Illinois is always an adventure. We don't have to go to that area. We just decided on Texas and we stuck a pin in a map of it. Any suggestions on anywhere else? We're in our early twenties but we are more into sightseeing, rodeo, and history, than shopping or nightlife. And we'd really love to skip the cities. Thanks for all your help, Sam

Old 02-16-2009, 04:57 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,155 times
Jefferson would probably be fun for you.....not just antique shopping but also buggy rides and a canoe ride up a creek....ghost stories in old hotels, etc.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:20 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claddagh07 View Post
Getting away from Southern Illinois is always an adventure. We don't have to go to that area. We just decided on Texas and we stuck a pin in a map of it. Any suggestions on anywhere else? We're in our early twenties but we are more into sightseeing, rodeo, and history, than shopping or nightlife. And we'd really love to skip the cities. Thanks for all your help, Sam
Jasper is almost in Louisiana, it's very close to the border. You might think a bit more central East Texas - Jefferson is very historic, same thing for Nacogdoches . I love Waxahachie - it has the advantage of being close enough to Ft Worth or Dallas if you want to do a day trip. The Round Top area in central East Texas is certainly worth a trip as is the entire area west of Austin that we call "the Hill Country". Fredricksburg/Kerrville - any area along the river. Lot's of great little towns in that area and always something going on. It's one of the most beautiful parts of Texas. Lots of small town rodeos.

Texas is a good choice for a visit - lot's to see here, and each area is very different. Fort Worth is a "city" but it's also loaded with great museums, a vibrant/safe downtown (with loads to eat and do), the historic stockyard area -- and it's easy to get around. You won't get the "big city" feel. You will get the "cowboy" feel .... Ft Worth is a very friendly place.

A couple of "event" calendars to get you started.

East Texas Guide

Texas Events Guide - city info

IF you decide on the Hill Country - I know a fabulous place to stay on the river near Hunt AND it's very reasonable. One of those places (family owned) that you used to have to "know" someone to get in. One of the old river lodges (cabins) on a gorgeous stretch of the Guadalupe River.

Where ever you pick ... I'm sure you will have a great time.

K

Old 02-16-2009, 05:24 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
Ok, then the Oil Musem in East Texas not too far from Jefferson and the largest Municipal Rose Garden in the Country in Tyler if you go to Jefferson and Kilgore, and that part of Northeast Texas. Now, many others will respond of the many differents parts of the State, you might have heard Texas really is big and varies greatly from one area to the next. Enjoy !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas