Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 02:48 PM

6 posts, read 14,275 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to East Texas, and specifically at a small community called Cushing. I am not sure what kind of highspeed internet (except dsl) is offered there. If someone could offer me some insight on some good areas I would greatly appreciate it. My priorities are in this order: low crime area, good public high school, highspeed, commute distance to higher education. Would like to stay a safe (hurricane) distance from the coast. As you can see, we don't require much. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 03:23 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Hoping that this is a serious inquiry, may I ask, why Cushing?

Old 11-15-2008, 05:39 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
Pretty part of east Texas within commuting distance to Stephen F Austin University but most folks have problems getting a TV signal out there, never mind high speed internet. Not familiar enough with that specific area to know if cable is available out that way or not, just know I see a lot of Satelite dishes in folks yards when I drive through that area and have familiarity with other ETX towns a little to the NE. I would call someone in the area, maybe at the county offices and get more info. Good luck!

Old 11-15-2008, 05:47 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,237,271 times
Have you visited that area at all?? Unless things have changed since I was thru there a few years ago, Cushing is not really a 'town' (hope I'm not insulting anybody)....just a few houses, a community. Don't know what type of housing might be available......I see a lot of manufactured houses in that part of Texas. As for crime, I doubt there's even a law officer there, they probably depend on the county sheriff's department and that's probably sufficient. I do know there is a school in that area that serves a large rural area and there is aa college at Nacogdoches, just down the road. In areas like that, the secretary at the school is usually your best source of information for everything.....you might call the Superintendent's office for specific questions you might have.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:24 PM

I'm not familiar with this... I hope I'm responding right to Case 44... We have found property there that seems to be far enough out of Nacogdoches to enjoy scenery, but close enough for modern conveniences.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:26 PM

Thanks, we'll be going to Texas next week to check it out.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:30 PM

Thanks Gayle, we'll be going next week to look at the area... I know it's small and the school 6-12 has under 300 students. I like that it's a small community, and the college entrance exam scores seem to be on par with the state. I like the town on the net, but seeing it in person might be a little different.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:10 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,237,271 times
Best wishes to you! How things appear to you depend a lot on where you have been and what it is you're looking for. I love the small schools ..... people from the cities would be amazed at the quality of education offered in them and how well their graduates compete in college and in life later on.....they don't know what they're missing there in the city! Hope you find just the right place for you and your family.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:48 PM

Thanks Gayle, and yes I agree. My son is in an overcrowed school right now and he isn't doing so well. I think he'll do better in a small environment, and we're all ready to slow it down a bit. Thanks again for your insight and kind words.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:38 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving*to*Texas100 View Post
Thanks Gayle, we'll be going next week to look at the area... I know it's small and the school 6-12 has under 300 students. I like that it's a small community, and the college entrance exam scores seem to be on par with the state. I like the town on the net, but seeing it in person might be a little different.

Good Luck! there is truth to what Gayle says. More individual attention in those smaller schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: