Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 10:05 PM

808 posts, read 3,664,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Are you really serious about the sweet canned drinks? That stuff is lethal. Stick with water; the other stuff is awful for the body.
Oh no, not canned! The stuff in the VERY small glass bottle...and don't drink a whole bottle at once (even though it's only 10 oz!). A Columbia University professor did a study back in the 1920s that found that drinking 6.5 oz of Dr Pepper at 10 AM, 2 PM, and 4 PM prevented a natural loss of energy that comes from the body's dropping sugar levels.

A lot of people take this study and use it to justify drinking Dr Pepper and all sorts of other drinks like there's no tomorrow. Only 6.5 oz of Dr Pepper, and only the type that's made with real sugar (which is very hard to find these days...if you can't find it, don't do it!).

As far as lemonade, I'd never drink a glass of lemonade that I didn't prepare - people put way too much sugar in it.

As for water, the ideal amount for the average person is 64 oz per day. I'm a very active individual so I consume more than that - in summer, I often consume well over 150 oz of water per day!

EDIT: I can't stress this enough...DO NOT overdo the soft drinks, and DO NOT drink any of that stuff with corn syrup in it (which, unfortunately, is most soft drinks these days). If you do, you're not going to stay hydrated enough to survive the summer months in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 10:24 PM

5,407 posts, read 13,340,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
Oh no, not canned! The stuff in the VERY small glass bottle...and don't drink a whole bottle at once (even though it's only 10 oz!). A Columbia University professor did a study back in the 1920s that found that drinking 6.5 oz of Dr Pepper at 10 AM, 2 PM, and 4 PM prevented a natural loss of energy that comes from the body's dropping sugar levels.

A lot of people take this study and use it to justify drinking Dr Pepper and all sorts of other drinks like there's no tomorrow. Only 6.5 oz of Dr Pepper, and only the type that's made with real sugar (which is very hard to find these days...if you can't find it, don't do it!).

As far as lemonade, I'd never drink a glass of lemonade that I didn't prepare - people put way too much sugar in it.

As for water, the ideal amount for the average person is 64 oz per day. I'm a very active individual so I consume more than that - in summer, I often consume well over 150 oz of water per day!

EDIT: I can't stress this enough...DO NOT overdo the soft drinks, and DO NOT drink any of that stuff with corn syrup in it (which, unfortunately, is most soft drinks these days). If you do, you're not going to stay hydrated enough to survive the summer months in Texas.
Interesting. I have never heard of that except I did know corn syrup is so awful.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:47 PM

808 posts, read 3,664,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Interesting. I have never heard of that except I did know corn syrup is so awful.
Corn syrup is absolutely terrible! The reason why most soft drinks are made with corn syrup nowadays is because it's much cheaper than sugar - in fact, the only Dr Pepper bottling plant in the USA that still makes it using the original formula (with real sugar) is in Dublin, TX (well, actually, their machinery won't allow them to use the current bottles, so they have to bottle it in the old recyclable bottles, and they send the rest of their sugar and Dr Pepper formula to the bottler at Temple who sends it back to them in the current glass bottles).

By the way, C*C, if you ever get out to Dublin, check out the bottling plant...it's very interesting.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:16 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,265,866 times
Gee-whiz,

I'd take a Chicago winter over a Houston summer anyday. I travel via subway/bus and taxi when it's 0 degrees outside. It does not bother me at all. I guess it's the same in Houston but the opposite season.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Gee-whiz,

I'd take a Chicago winter over a Houston summer anyday. I travel via subway/bus and taxi when it's 0 degrees outside. It does not bother me at all. I guess it's the same in Houston but the opposite season.
I'm not saying I would like Chicago winters as I've only lived in southern California and Texas so I really haven't a clue, but one thing is for certain. One can dress warmly for cold winters, but it's very hard to get cool in the heat no matter how one dresses.

Today is absolutely gorgeous, 46 degrees with a windchill of 38 and bright and sunny. I'm heading out the door to work in the yard, well...probably most of the day. This is perfect yard work weather. I love it and I won't have to stop and rest or limit my outdoor work to 2 hours. How delightful. It doesn't take much to make me happy and the weather today totally fits the bill of happiness.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Corn syrup is absolutely terrible! The reason why most soft drinks are made with corn syrup nowadays is because it's much cheaper than sugar - in fact, the only Dr Pepper bottling plant in the USA that still makes it using the original formula (with real sugar) is in Dublin, TX (well, actually, their machinery won't allow them to use the current bottles, so they have to bottle it in the old recyclable bottles, and they send the rest of their sugar and Dr Pepper formula to the bottler at Temple who sends it back to them in the current glass bottles).

By the way, C*C, if you ever get out to Dublin, check out the bottling plant...it's very interesting.
I've been to Dublin several times, but I never took the time to check out the bottling plant. I'll bet it is very interesting. I toured the Coors Brewery in Golden, Colorado several years ago and really enjoyed it. I don't drink beer or any soft drinks, but the tour was really fun although it was pretty stinky. I'll have to post a photo of me one of these days standing next to a Coors can taller than I am.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:48 PM

398 posts, read 1,424,128 times
Quote:
EDITO NOT drink any of that stuff with corn syrup in it (which, unfortunately, is most soft drinks these days).

thank god for mexico!

Old 04-05-2009, 03:44 PM

322 posts, read 907,894 times
Actually drinking lots of sugary drinks is NOT a good way to deal with the heat. I don't know about all people, but for me, gaining weight keeps me warm or makes me hot, depending on climate. A LOT of people gain a lot of weight when they move to Alaska, and I think being cold all the time has something to do with it. If you're gaining weight, the cold won't get to you nearly so bad. If I'm losing weight I freeze here all the time and can't get warm enough even if it's weight I need to lose. If you live in a hot climate and lose weight and then maintain your weight, it won't seem nearly as bad. But if you're gaining weight, you will heat up easily. So one way to deal with the heat is to not overeat and keep fit. That may not work for everyone, but I know that when I lived in Texas in the past, my most miserable summer for heat was when I worked at Burger King...and got a giant coke everyday because we got free cokes. I gained weight and sure enough I was hot and tired from the heat all the time.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:02 PM

23,052 posts, read 34,585,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Gee-whiz,

I'd take a Chicago winter over a Houston summer anyday.
Me too!!!!!!!

Old 04-05-2009, 06:07 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,601,031 times
Oh, and don't forget to drink 6.5 oz of DUBLIN Dr Pepper (w/ Imperial Sugar, not corn syrup) at 10, 2, and 4 to avoid losing energy (that doesn't work with regular Dr Peppers...so make sure you have one made with Imperial Sugar!). >>

If you insist! Oh how I love Dublin Dr. Pepper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas