Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 08:06 PM

3,013 posts, read 3,565,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Housing is cheap, gas is cheaper than most places, no state income tax.

Ain't that the truth!!!
Houston isn't the only place people can go for what you mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 08:23 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,547,003 times
An alternative to Dublin Dr Pepper (which one can get at more and more places these days! Woo hoo!) is homemade sweet tea. I didn't truly appreciate it until the summer that my husband, daughter and I were putting up bales of hay from the field into the barn, loading them into the pickup and onto the trailer and driving them in and unloading and stacking, in 108 degree weather. That's when I realized the reason for the existence of sweet tea - when you're doing that, it's the original Gatorade!

But only homemade, made right, does the trick.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:27 PM

808 posts, read 3,656,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
An alternative to Dublin Dr Pepper (which one can get at more and more places these days! Woo hoo!) is homemade sweet tea. I didn't truly appreciate it until the summer that my husband, daughter and I were putting up bales of hay from the field into the barn, loading them into the pickup and onto the trailer and driving them in and unloading and stacking, in 108 degree weather. That's when I realized the reason for the existence of sweet tea - when you're doing that, it's the original Gatorade!

But only homemade, made right, does the trick.
I can drink (some sweet tea) to that!

Old 04-05-2009, 08:38 PM

23,036 posts, read 34,475,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Houston isn't the only place people can go for what you mentioned.
Yes I know, but you asked why people are moving here and these are some of the reasons why.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:07 AM

214 posts, read 726,949 times
man i LOOOOOOOOOOVE the heat. If this sun isnt shinning and it isnt 85 I'm not a happy camper...

i'll sit in my shorts in my upstairs room without the A/C on in the middle of summer and just sweat...feels good I think..

I know, I'm a freak...

Old 04-06-2009, 05:14 AM

5,407 posts, read 13,309,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yes I know, but you asked why people are moving here and these are some of the reasons why.
I was just about to answer him with the same comment and then saw your post. Houston was the subject, not elsewhere.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:24 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,274,644 times
What are you talking about? This morning (April 6), it was 21 degrees over most of the Panhandle when the sun came up. There was no place in Michigan that cold---not even Houghton (23), on the shores of Lake Superior. 45 here in Victoria.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:33 AM

2,611 posts, read 3,598,967 times
Some get used to the heat, others can't seem to function in it. Since it's Texas you do have the beach to go to if you choose HOusTon. But in Dallas it's just a further drive. You also have the pools and whatnot. If you can do it, be outside in summer (May-October), if not you do have the other 6 months to enjoy. But you'd basically be trading the cold for the heat, it's just a matter of what you prefer.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:03 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,937,791 times
I deal with it by being outside as much as I can, so I can get my fill of the sun and heat before winter comes around. I love it and find myself outside much more often in the summer, whether the temps are 95 or 105... I know I'm not the only one as the parks, running trails and festivals are full during that time of year. So we soak it up while we can. As others have mentioned, the only drawback (at least for one who is acclimated) is the higher electric bills because the houses are all made for A/C and really can't be left uncooled.

It was in the 30's this morning in Austin and that's TOO COLD. Where is the global warming I was promised?

Old 04-06-2009, 04:19 PM

5,999 posts, read 3,751,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
Some get used to the heat, others can't seem to function in it. Since it's Texas you do have the beach to go to if you choose HOusTon. But in Dallas it's just a further drive. You also have the pools and whatnot. If you can do it, be outside in summer (May-October), if not you do have the other 6 months to enjoy. But you'd basically be trading the cold for the heat, it's just a matter of what you prefer.
I seem to remember this past September (power outages notwithstanding) and October as being rather mild. July and August are the two months with the extreme heat and humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas