Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 09:57 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,265,866 times

Advertisements

Gee thanks.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'd be very surprised if they don't. I don't live there, so I don't know about all of them (heck, I live in the Austin area and don't know about all the ones just outside my front door!), but I do try to make a few down that way - RenFest, International Quilt Festival, sometimes the rodeo, and a few others.

Houston Festivals

More Houston Festivals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 10:01 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,986,587 times
I don't deal with it any more in Texas, and it won't be too long before I don't deal as much with it in NM, either!!

Refrigerated air, car AC, staying indoors as much as possible during the hottest parts of the day...and ice-cold beer.

Having said all that, I will take 102 or more in TX over a Chicago winter. I have NEVER been that cold in my life, and the high humidity has a LOT to do with it. Both areas you have named are not only hot in the summer, they're like a sauna because of the humidity. In both cases, the higher humidity worsens the perception of either hot or cold.

Dry heat in the Panhandle and West Texas is more bearable, but still a lot hotter than I like. I look back and wonder how I stood it for 50+ years. I suppose it's because I still love Texas--and always will, hot weather notwithstanding.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:25 AM

41,017 posts, read 49,641,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I look back and wonder how I stood it for 50+ years. I suppose it's because I still love Texas--and always will, hot weather notwithstanding.
There is a direct correlation between the heat & your age. The older you are the hotter a 100 degree day feels.

I think the Aggies actually proved this a few years back.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:48 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,618,960 times
Go to Colorado or Canada for the Summer?

People seem a lot dumber than the animals that used to roam here. Even the Canadian Geese and Bison understand migration.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:52 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,582,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Ask Stan4 as he is the one that said it. Of course, you can't; I believe he was just kidding, but some people really do run them awfully cold which is ridiculous and a waste of energy. They must be wimps when it comes to the brutal heat.
Hmmm...judging from some of your posts that defame Texas solely on its summertime heat and humidity and the need to use the a/c much more than other parts of the country, I thought you might actually be saying that people could get frostbite from an a/c unit because they had to use it so much in this state

Old 04-04-2009, 11:54 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,270,316 times
I had lived in Houston for about 25 adult years and decided I wanted a break from the heat, so I moved to Dallas.

At one time I had no appreciation for Houston's heat and humidity other than being good outdoor weather. Then I read Larry McMurtry's book, 'All My Friends Are Going To Be Strangers' and at once became native with the weather. ('Terms of Endearment' is said to be a follow up to the above McMurtry book).

But to cope? A breeze, a shade tree and a collllllllllllllllld beer.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:00 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,763,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Hmmm...judging from some of your posts that defame Texas solely on its summertime heat and humidity and the need to use the a/c much more than other parts of the country, I thought you might actually be saying that people could get frostbite from an a/c unit because they had to use it so much in this state
Yes. 78 is cool enough for me, but I have friends who have to take cardigans and jackets to work in the summer b/c they keep the office buildings so cold! No thanks!

Old 04-04-2009, 12:22 PM

808 posts, read 3,664,529 times
Check out the thread about Texas Rivers...there's no better way to cool off in the summer than to take a weekend trip and tube down a river.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:00 PM

679 posts, read 2,843,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
Check out the thread about Texas Rivers...there's no better way to cool off in the summer than to take a weekend trip and tube down a river.
Yeah, but it's kinda hard to do that when you are in your 60's

I'm not living there, yet, because I have to retire, first...but when I do come, I will be building my new home. I hope to build it so that I can be comfortable without running the ac so high. I actually hope to build solar, but won't know until that time comes. As far as the outdoors, I am originally from Indiana. When I was young, summer felt blazing AND humid. You'd wake up at 5am and it was hot. You go to bed and it is still hot at midnight. We'd sweat all night. We didn't have any air. I don't even remember having a fan, at night. It was miserable, but we would play outside all day. That was when I was a child. In my older age, I'm an indoor person, so that part won't be too hard. It's just when I have the need to go out somewhere. Which two months are your absolute hottest? I think I may spend those with my kids on the west coast.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:15 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,763,964 times
I would say July and August. In Dallas. Can't speak for Houston. Houston always seems humid to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas