Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 09:56 AM

23,020 posts, read 34,397,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubya View Post
ILNC, I'm just curious...why North Carolina? It can be pretty sweltering there in the summer, too, though I'll admit few places are as sweltering as Houston. Heck, I've felt cooler hanging out in the jungles of Panama than I did posing for a picture in front of the water wall during the summer.

For the record, I love NC, too, and Virginia even more (as its my home state), but my wife turned me into a Texan. Of course, short of a Divine directive, I'd never live in certain parts of the state due to the weather, Houston included.
Yes I know parts of NC get hot too, but we're thinking western NC in the mountains. And if I have to be hot, at least if I'm hot in NC there is so much beautiful scenery to look at and there are the mountains to escape the heat. But we will probably end up in Eastern Tenn because it's cheaper and even Tenn is better to me than Texas. Oh and I love Virginia too, I was there once and it is very beautiful, I would also take that over Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 10:05 AM

170 posts, read 598,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yes I know parts of NC get hot too, but we're thinking western NC in the mountains. And if I have to be hot, at least if I'm hot in NC there is so much beautiful scenery to look at and there are the mountains to escape the heat. But we will probably end up in Eastern Tenn because it's cheaper and even Tenn is better to me than Texas. Oh and I love Virginia too, I was there once and it is very beautiful, I would also take that over Texas.
Well, at least in Tennessee you won't be paying state income tax (aside from dividend and interest income, I think), similar to Texas!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:23 AM

469 posts, read 1,452,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Colorado is great...you'll love it! The native Coloradans like to complain that Texans are taking over, but since the large influx of Californians, they don't mind us so much anymore. I've seen bumper stickers that say, Californians go home....and take a Texan with you.
LOL!!! I will have to get one of those bumper stickers so I will look like a local.
I did not know so many people were moving there from TX & CA.
I have always loved Colorado - beautiful scenery, snow, and much cooler summers! Woo Hoo!!!

Old 04-24-2009, 10:25 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,591,899 times
Yup, I'm visiting May 16th-19th, and even though it's only 4 days, it's 4 days away from the texas heat, just look at our seven day forecast:

http://www.krgv.com/media/files/cctvi_weather/krgv/prism_7day/749.jpg (broken link)

After visiting to see some apartments, I should be moving in July or August, just need the job transfer to kick in. (PLease be in JULY!)

Old 04-25-2009, 12:08 PM

764 posts, read 1,422,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post

ILNC, we were there in western NC (Bryson City, Franklin, Otto, Cherokee, etc.) 2 years ago in August - and it was beautiful! But it was hot there too, hotter than Houston if you can believe that. We were joking that we had to get back to Houston to cool off. Driving through eastern Tennessee was worse - I remember Chattanooga was 105 to 108 the day we drove through. You're right though, at least it has some gorgeous natural beauty to look at when you're sweltering. I would still move to that area tomorrow if I could.

To be fair, I don't know if that weather was normal or not. I'm willing to say not judging by the reactions from the locals we chatted with. Also it was during the time of their terrible drought which may have affected the weather temperatures.

I've never been to Virginia, but I hope to go next spring.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:13 PM

764 posts, read 1,422,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edubya View Post
Well, at least in Tennessee you won't be paying state income tax (aside from dividend and interest income, I think), similar to Texas!

Tennessee does have a higher state sales tax and they do tax groceries unlike Texas; however, their property taxes are lower. I looked it up at a site once where you can compre the total tax burden and Tennessee was slighly more favorable than Texas, despite paying taxes on groceries.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:42 PM

170 posts, read 598,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
ILNC, we were there in western NC (Bryson City, Franklin, Otto, Cherokee, etc.) 2 years ago in August - and it was beautiful! But it was hot there too, hotter than Houston if you can believe that. We were joking that we had to get back to Houston to cool off. Driving through eastern Tennessee was worse - I remember Chattanooga was 105 to 108 the day we drove through. You're right though, at least it has some gorgeous natural beauty to look at when you're sweltering. I would still move to that area tomorrow if I could.

To be fair, I don't know if that weather was normal or not. I'm willing to say not judging by the reactions from the locals we chatted with. Also it was during the time of their terrible drought which may have affected the weather temperatures.

I've never been to Virginia, but I hope to go next spring.
I've lived all over Virginia and have spent plenty of time in NC and Tennessee. I can assure you 105 is not the standard there! One nice thing about NC is you have access to nice beaches and nice, though smallish, mountains. I think it can be a great place to live.

Despite that, I'm still happy to be getting back to Texas, even if our move is in July. Of course, I'm even happier that we didn't go with two of our other choices, Lake Jackson and Corpus. I could have adapted, but the experience would have been a bit less pleasant, weather-wise.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:08 PM

80 posts, read 251,190 times
I've lived here all my life, and I've never been able to adapt to the Texas summers. July, August and September are just the worst. But at least I don't live in Houston -- that place is a year-round sauna!

I think of it this way ... just like in places where it's very cold during the winter, and you don't get out a lot for a few months, it's just the reverse here -- you find something to do during the hot months that's indoors. Six of one, half-dozen of another. That said, having lived both here and in the arctic, I'll take hot weather over cold any day of the year. Being homebound, except for going to work and back, eight months of the year was stiffling.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:34 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,591,899 times
[quote=pnc66;8511111]Tennessee does have a higher state sales tax and they do tax groceries unlike Texas; however, their property taxes are lower. QUOTE]

Would this only benefit homeowners? If you rent an apartment, then you are basically screwed?

Old 04-25-2009, 06:10 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,376,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
Yup, I'm visiting May 16th-19th, and even though it's only 4 days, it's 4 days away from the texas heat, just look at our seven day forecast:

http://www.krgv.com/media/files/cctvi_weather/krgv/prism_7day/749.jpg (broken link)

After visiting to see some apartments, I should be moving in July or August, just need the job transfer to kick in. (PLease be in JULY!)
WOW! I hope that is the exact forecast when I visit from May 29th-June 2nd. After a long cold Pittsburgh Winter--I want nothing but Texas HEAT and SUNSHINE for my 4 day week-end visit to Austin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas