Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2008, 11:14 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,211,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
My mother and her family are from Bavaria or near to it. I like the accent myself but it's probably because that's what I grew up hearing.
I find all German accents to be very pleasant.:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 02:25 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,035,871 times
Quote:
Anyone I ever met from East Texas had a very discernible accent. Maybe your friend is just one of those people who can't pick out an accent clearly.

I've had several people, not just one person from California & New York City tell me I don't have an accent. It all depends on the people you surround yourself with I guess...

You're obviously from the Dallas area, you can't tell me there is no discernible Texan twang spoken there when in fact its all over the place. Uhh "Hello & welcome to Texas Ya'll come back ya hear"

I'm a proud born & raised Texan, but that doesn't mean I speak like that. I can however fake a pretty good imitation when I feel like it.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:14 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,293,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
When I was growing up in East Texas, my father (who had a fairly strong accent himself) corrected my pronunciation according to the dictionary. The result was that no matter where I went (even East Texas), people thought I was from somewhere else - they just couldn't figure out where. (I had a "Webster's" accent, I guess. )

As I get older, some sort of Texas accent starts creeping in, mainly when I'm excited or upset.
Good for your daddy, smart guy. It was funny when we first moved to Texas, my daughter was five. She started Kindergarten here and being in a small school district, she very quickly learned the school song. Of course, it was an act per se, but she'd come home from school singing the song saying, "ha" for high, "da" for die, what for "white", etc. It was really cute to hear her performance in Texas singing.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:20 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,293,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
I find all German accents to be very pleasant.:-)
My grandparents never lost their German accent after living in this country for many years. Well, actually my grandpa died fairly young (72) and only lived in the USA for 79 years, but my grandmother lived to be 93 and in 70 years, she still said, "ve" for we, "vant" for want, "ven" for when, etc. She was such a cutie.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:57 PM

756 posts, read 1,885,001 times
I am not at all a fan of the Southern accent. In the big cities in Texas, it's not very prevalent. But go east of Houston until you hit the Atlantic ocean, and the southern accent is deep, and even tough to understand at points. But also equally annoying is the northeast accent and their lack of using the letter R. "Pahk mah cah" is not cute, it's retarded. And California and their elongation of the last syllable of a word (more SoCal) is hands down the most silly of all accents. "Ya-ou" is not how you pronounce YOU, just fyi.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:01 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,291,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
My grandparents never lost their German accent after living in this country for many years. Well, actually my grandpa died fairly young (72) and only lived in the USA for 79 years, but my grandmother lived to be 93 and in 70 years, she still said, "ve" for we, "vant" for want, "ven" for when, etc. She was such a cutie.
I knew a German lady who never lost that accent either. My mother, however, spoke almost perfect "American" but I could still hear her accent just a touch here and there.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:07 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,895,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoTogepi View Post
I think it's probably my least favorite.

Okay...But I've heard worst in Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi. Believe you, me.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:09 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,895,230 times
Quote:
I knew a German lady who never lost that accent either. My mother, however, spoke almost perfect "American" but I could still hear her accent just a touch here and there.

Especially when they get angry or tired. Then you can really hear it. My mother is from Argentina and sometimes I can hear her accent come out when she's angry or really tired.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:55 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,975,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoTogepi View Post
I think it's probably my least favorite.
Well, whoop dee do!

Old 02-15-2010, 03:44 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,322,529 times
Love alllllll Southern accents. Slow thick syrupy drawls make me think of bisuits slathered in honey and butter. Absolutely detest California accents and the Northeastern accents that sound so harsh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas