Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2008, 01:26 AM

83 posts, read 299,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
you base all of your opinions on pictures????? One can take a great picture of a landfill and at the right angle it can look like paradise. Zoom out and one sees it for what it is.
i'm not saying the whole city is beautiful. But it's fairly easy to tell from pictures that this or this (http://www.scknight.com/life/caz07.jpg - broken link) is a nicer skyline then say, this. Again i've never been to either city so i have no idea which is nicer or anything, but onions on skylines are easily based on pictures.

right . Record yourself and then listen to it.
definitely not! My voice is dreadful sounding. I'll do anything i can to prevent hearing it. But it's not because of an accent...

oh, and i have some lovely beach front property for sale in close proximity to downtown dallas. No worry of hurricanes since the last one that hit the dallas area was back in the early 80's during the filming of the show "dallas". You can see the skyline of downtown from your "inland" view balcony. :d

e
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 01:52 AM

684 posts, read 2,109,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoTogepi View Post
e
What kind of reply is "e" you fricking troll????? If you cannot contribute something constructive to these boards, then find a bridge elsewhere to huddle under to wait for some unsuspecting wanderer....people here have a PURPOSE...

Get a life...or at least a constructive hobby....or perhaps a job.....

Old 11-19-2008, 02:18 AM

684 posts, read 2,109,941 times
NintendoTogepi.....I am trying to figure out,.what exactly are "onions on skylines"...and why are they easily based on pictures???
are we talking abstract art forms... perhaps UFO'S , or simply misplaced arrogance?????

You "had me at Hello..." but lost me at "onions on skylines"...Is this a romantic comedy I missed the punch line on? Okay, I get it....kinda when Meg Ryan says *I'll have what she's having" on When Harry Met Sally??? Are we talking inuendos???

Perhaps he is referring to the artist with abstract pictures of cocktail olives doing crazy bar theme things...funny at Fishermans's Wharf, yet not something you would really put in your home

Trying to give NintendoTogepi the benefit of the doubt.....how am I doing???

yeah, of course I know the answer....just taking advantage of a moment to poke fun......

Last edited by MissDaisy; 11-19-2008 at 02:49 AM..

Old 11-19-2008, 03:52 AM

382 posts, read 954,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I hate any accent that makes people sound uneducated, which is most all the strong drawls.
Pompous elite. (said with a strong southern drawl)

Old 11-19-2008, 08:00 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDaisy View Post
NintendoTogepi.....I am trying to figure out,.what exactly are "onions on skylines"...and why are they easily based on pictures???
are we talking abstract art forms... perhaps UFO'S , or simply misplaced arrogance?????

I thought he was talking about Onion Domes which one will see in Eastern Europe and the BEAUTIFUL ones that can be found in Moscow at the Kremlin.
http://www.geopolitika.lt/data/image...-kremlin-5.jpg

After seeing many a picture of these thru all of my years of Art History and Architecture studies I stood totally amazed at the mere sight of them in person. WOW! Words can not even describe how I felt at the first sight of them. In case anyone is interested, this is not one of my pics. I really need to get those copied and stored (LONG before digital). Also, the building to the right that is more modern in design is Lenin's Tomb.

Yet, they don't have these all over NYC. So I knew that was not the "word" that SHOULD have been used.

Oh, and to the OP, NO!!!! You can NOT base a real opinion solely on pictures. TRUST ME! I've seen pictures of cities that I thought, ehh. In person it was so beautiful as to leave one speechless. Or pictures of one that looks beautiful but on the ground in person - NO THANK YOU! Get back to us when you get a chance to actually visit many cities around your own state, the country and the world.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:52 AM

336 posts, read 697,940 times
This thread was obviously originally posted just for the sake of
arguing or upsetting us sweet ol Texans...after pages and pages
of replies...I would think that this guy has gotten his 15 minutes
worth....

Old 11-19-2008, 09:19 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
Incidentally, we have our own "southerners" in Germany, and I dislike some of the accents from Bavaria etc. Absolutely a matter of personal taste.
My mother and her family are from Bavaria or near to it. I like the accent myself but it's probably because that's what I grew up hearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I was born & raised in East Texas.

When I was talking on the phone to a new friend in California the other night I asked her out of curiosity if they can pick up a Texan accent in my voice & she said no I sound just like people out in there.
Anyone I ever met from East Texas had a very discernible accent. Maybe your friend is just one of those people who can't pick out an accent clearly.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:24 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Moved from California here. 20 years later, my Cali friends say I have a Texas accent; some people in Texas ask if I am from Cali. And people overseas have barely a hint I'm from Texas ("Oh, that's kind of what it sounds like!") I love a smooth, non-dramatic Texas accent myself. That 'deep south' accent kind of grates, but not nearly as much as the New York, New Jersey, or Boston accents. Dah!

Old 11-19-2008, 10:08 AM

288 posts, read 1,191,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoTogepi View Post
I think it's probably my least favorite.
Which one?

Old 11-19-2008, 10:14 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Anyone I ever met from East Texas had a very discernible accent. Maybe your friend is just one of those people who can't pick out an accent clearly.
When I was growing up in East Texas, my father (who had a fairly strong accent himself) corrected my pronunciation according to the dictionary. The result was that no matter where I went (even East Texas), people thought I was from somewhere else - they just couldn't figure out where. (I had a "Webster's" accent, I guess. )

As I get older, some sort of Texas accent starts creeping in, mainly when I'm excited or upset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas