Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:08 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,776,153 times

Advertisements

I never thought I had an accent either, but my 'yankee' husband said I did. I have heard some Texans, that for some reason or the other, like to emphasize an exaggerated drawl and granted, it does sound stupid. I think I've seen this occur more often in bars when some normal speaking gal suddenly decides she wants to be this sweet young down home Texxxxas thaang. Why, I'll never know, it just sounds dumb.

Some people actually believe the horrible sounds that spew forth from Sen. Phil Gramn (R) (jumped on the R bandwagon from the D's some years back when he saw opportunity knocking at his door) are typical Texan. They assume he is a Texan just like they assume GW is Texan. The first was born and raised in Georgia, the second was born in Connecticut. Good Lord Almighty, NO ONE from Texas sounds like that. I have talked to a lot of people from Georgia and I have never heard an accent so acentuated as his. Talk about someone who sounds 'whiney'. He actually sounds like he has a mouthful of mush when he tries to speak. My point being, not all the 'Texan accents' you hear are from Texans. It would be impossible to know just how many 'wannabe' Texans are out there and mimicking some weird so-called 'Texas drawl' they've heard on TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 10:03 AM

336 posts, read 698,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
I never thought I had an accent either, but my 'yankee' husband said I did. I have heard some Texans, that for some reason or the other, like to emphasize an exaggerated drawl and granted, it does sound stupid. I think I've seen this occur more often in bars when some normal speaking gal suddenly decides she wants to be this sweet young down home Texxxxas thaang. Why, I'll never know, it just sounds dumb.

Some people actually believe the horrible sounds that spew forth from Sen. Phil Gramn (R) (jumped on the R bandwagon from the D's some years back when he saw opportunity knocking at his door) are typical Texan. They assume he is a Texan just like they assume GW is Texan. The first was born and raised in Georgia, the second was born in Connecticut. Good Lord Almighty, NO ONE from Texas sounds like that. I have talked to a lot of people from Georgia and I have never heard an accent so acentuated as his. Talk about someone who sounds 'whiney'. He actually sounds like he has a mouthful of mush when he tries to speak. My point being, not all the 'Texan accents' you hear are from Texans. It would be impossible to know just how many 'wannabe' Texans are out there and mimicking some weird so-called 'Texas drawl' they've heard on TV.
I didn't think I have an accent either....until I called a Colorado realtor
asking about a property there...it was on Iron Mountain...I didn't think
that would be that difficult to understand...but he could comprehend
was I was saying...he had me laughing so hard I could hardly keep
repeating myself...then he said...Is that a southern accent miss?
hahaha...oh well...guess I needed an interpreter....

Old 11-18-2008, 01:26 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,288,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDaisy View Post
....Do you Texans pick up our California / West Coast accent when you hear us speak? It kinda makes me chuckle when I think that when we are visiting Texas, we hear your accent...but in reality it is US who have an "accent" there...
I have worked with a couple of Californians and their accent wasn't so bad but I did hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I like to listen to the British speak. I love their accent. DH likes the Aussie accent. Not a lot of difference between the two.

I like the Texas accent. You really don't talk a lot different then we do here, but there are words that you occasionally seem to drag out longer then we do. The accent from some southern states would be my least favorite. It doesn't bother me, but it's just hard to understand at times.
Hey Jammie, I love the British accent, too! And Aussie. But, I beg to differ with you on S. Dakota. I knew a lady born and raised there and, forgive me, but she had an annoying accent to my ears, it sounded more akin to N. Dakota, Minnesota and Michigan and no way sounded anything like a Texas accent which is southern in origin.

Some folks in this thread (and other threads) mentioned that an exaggerated Texas accent is fake or words to that affect. Have y'all heard someone born and raised in Joshua in Johnson County south of Fort Worth? Or any of those tee-tiny communities in the area? I'm here to tell you, those are exactly the kind of accents that Hollywood likes to typify in the movies! This one ol' boy I worked with a few years ago from Joshua, I swear, would be a perfect example of a thick drawl that someone might find "uneducated" sounding.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:00 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,247,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoTogepi View Post
I think it's probably my least favorite.
yourrrrrrrrrr realllllly nottttttt gonaaaaaaa likeeeeee meeeeeee thennnnnnn

Old 11-18-2008, 03:39 PM

397 posts, read 1,026,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Does that make them uneducated, however? Or is this just your own supercilious observation? At the same time, I apologize if I misunderstood your intent...so please explain what you mean. Fair enough?
OK, my dear, I'm actually going to agree with you on this one. Just because an accent may sound uneducated, does NOT mean the person is uneducated. I have faced many a worthy adversary in court, the occasional time I find myself litigating in TX, where he/she sounded not so intelligent, but was very much the opposite.

That said, and it is only my opinion, but strongly regional accents can
sound boorish and uneducated. That goes not just for the TX accent, but
also for certain accents in New England, Brooklyn etc. I know you'll probably say the accent in Cali is bland - that may be so. In any event, only a shallow person judges the person's ultimate capacity based on their accent, but to be honest, it doesn't always sound great.

Incidentally, we have our own "southerners" in Germany, and I dislike some of the accents from Bavaria etc. Absolutely a matter of personal taste. Funnily enough, most people tell me that my English sounds very American these days, with a hint of a German accent coming through here and there. For me, I still sound the way I did when I first moved to CA!

Old 11-18-2008, 05:19 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,768,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoTogepi View Post
I think it's probably my least favorite.
I think NY accents are horrible. Therefore I don't listen to them. You should simply not listen to Texas accents. K.I.S.S.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:25 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,894,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
yourrrrrrrrrr realllllly nottttttt gonaaaaaaa likeeeeee meeeeeee thennnnnnn
No, No, No. It goes like this :

Yer reely not gunna like mE theeen.

Seeing that "gunna" reminds me of the skits on SNL of Bush. W that is.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:41 PM

684 posts, read 2,110,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
No, No, No. It goes like this :

Yer reely not gunna like mE theeen.

Seeing that "gunna" reminds me of the skits on SNL of Bush. W that is.
LMAO!!!!

.....reminds me of the SNL skit of Bush...

..."straTEEgury"....still makes me laugh...

Old 11-18-2008, 06:12 PM

779 posts, read 2,248,096 times
Lol, Will Ferrell as George W. Bush on SNL

Old 11-18-2008, 07:44 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,006,609 times
I was born & raised in East Texas.

When I was talking on the phone to a new friend in California the other night I asked her out of curiosity if they can pick up a Texan accent in my voice & she said no I sound just like people out in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas