Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2010, 10:24 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,613,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I hate any accent that makes people sound uneducated, which is most all the strong drawls.
Wellll, on the flip side of this broken record, I dislike accents that make people sound as if they have plenty of book-learnin'...but not much common sense. Or, that make them sound mass-produced. Like a bunch of betas out of Brave New World.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 12:43 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,016,198 times
I am from the UK and the texan accent is made fun of by many people over the pond. I know of Americans who live in London who hate being compared to a texan as well. Because they don't talk like one, but they get teased as if they do.

In the reverse in texas everywhere I go people love my accent.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:55 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
I am from the UK and the texan accent is made fun of by many people over the pond. I know of Americans who live in London who hate being compared to a texan as well. Because they don't talk like one, but they get teased as if they do.

In the reverse in texas everywhere I go people love my accent.
I'm from Texas and I have the accent to go along with it. I had no problem with Germans, Italians, Scandinavians, Brits, or Scot loving my accent. Especially the ladies. I guess it depends on the person sporting the accent. I think many assume if someone has a Texan drawl, then they must be uneducated. I have a Master in Arts (Trinity International University in Chicago) and it did very little to erase my accent.

Last edited by Bulldawg82; 03-05-2010 at 01:03 PM..

Old 03-05-2010, 06:38 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,765,968 times
All Texans doesn't have the same accent!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:45 PM

522 posts, read 1,405,934 times
In my opinion the Texas twang isn't nearly as deep as other southern accents. It also doesn't make us sound slow or uneducated, if anything I find that the Texas accent makes Texan sound strong, for lack of a better word.

I can't stand certain New York (Long Island and Bronx) accents personally, loathe the Jersey accent even more. It's like nails to a chalkboard to me.

I'm Asian-American so I don't have the Texas twang (although my Scottish friend seems to think so when I say certain words, and he thinks it's adorable!).

Old 03-05-2010, 10:40 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times
East Texans typically have that Deep Southern draw not found in the rest of Texas. Its very similar to what a person from Alabama or Georgia may sound like.

I'm one of the exceptions I guess. People have told me before I don't have a Texas accent even though I was born & raised here. I could care less either way.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:48 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
So; why would that matter to yous guys in Buffalo;has the cold gotten that bad that you think of such things. No ne is asking you to move in fact we discourage it.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:40 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,613,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
I'm from New England and DO NOT have an accent. I'll admit the Boston accent (which is the one you're referring to) is harsh to understand. But most New Englanders pronounce every letter as it's intended. This is why every national newscaster comes from here, you can understand what we're saying.

ps, I didn't meant to rate this positively, I clicked the wrong button.

You gotta be kiddin' me!? New Englanders pronounce every letter as "intended"? For one thing, it can be argued what is meant by "intended".

Anyway, the "national broadcast accent" strives for that bland "Midwestern" type dialect...not New England. No offence intended, but most New Englanders have just as strong an accent -- in its own way -- as that commonly percieved in we Texans/Southerners. Y'all just don't notice it.

We just don't make a production about it...and are, really, kinda proud of it. Like the old Alabama song goes..."I'll speak my Southern English just as natural as I please."

For one thing, it gives us an advantage over them yankee city slickers who, because of our slow tawk, condecend and treat us like a bunch of backwater yokels....only to turn around and see they got the worse end of the horse-tradin'

Old 03-06-2010, 10:37 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,280,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

You gotta be kiddin' me!? New Englanders pronounce every letter as "intended"? For one thing, it can be argued what is meant by "intended".

Anyway, the "national broadcast accent" strives for that bland "Midwestern" type dialect...not New England. No offence intended, but most New Englanders have just as strong an accent -- in its own way -- as that commonly percieved in we Texans/Southerners. Y'all just don't notice it.

We just don't make a production about it...and are, really, kinda proud of it. Like the old Alabama song goes..."I'll speak my Southern English just as natural as I please."

For one thing, it gives us an advantage over them yankee city slickers who, because of our slow tawk, condecend and treat us like a bunch of backwater yokels....only to turn around and see they got the worse end of the horse-tradin'
I agree ... that is so not so. Just one irritating example that comes to mind is, "idear" for idea, "are-ange" for orange. I've even heard Linda being call Linder. I just don't get from where that "r" comes. It doesn't matter though because southerners don't pronounce most words correctly either.

I'm from CA and although I don't have an accent, I do pronounce some words incorrectly, such as agg (long a) for egg, leg, peg, etc.

The national broadcasters don't have an accent. If any are from the south or the east, they've learned to rid themselves of such accents so they are understood well or as well as can be expected with all the speaking errors all humans make.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:41 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,502,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

It must be the weekend, Texas Reb is back!
I agree. Though the New England accent isn't as harsh (to my ears) as the Boston accent, they most certainly do have an accent. Even the Boston accents aren't all the same! I lived up there for 8 years. When I first pulled into town I asked some firemen for directions and couldn't understand them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas