Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 07:06 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,567 times

Advertisements

Anonymous?? I thought I gave my email and address when I registered. Steve Fischer listed in Rockport Texas (no others by that name) - sorry if it wasn't on profile. So much for that!

The election is over - no one was even standing out at the polling places and to be honest some people prefer that. At the county where they count the votes - the hall only had 2 newspaper people, our county and county court judges, myself and my little girl and two people who I didn't know. By 8:45 everyone left.

Texas does seem to be left behind, and it probably will be in the new administration.

Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 11-05-2008 at 07:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 08:59 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,446,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Texas does seem to be left behind, and it probably will be in the new administration.
Culberson was able to get funding for the I-10 expansion especially when his party is in power in the government. Now how is he going to expand US-290 and build his Westpark-like tollway on Hempstead Highway when he is in the minority? I'll bet the state has to pay for everything now and we'll end up like New York state and California by the middle of the next decade. Putting the proverbial eggs in the Republican basket has hurt Texas today and will in the future.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:56 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,993,122 times
I'm sure you both were clapping excitedly when Bush won both terms, knowing that Texas was in for a windfall.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:05 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeweld View Post
That just tells you how bad our education system is! LOL
"You can not give reputation to the same post twice"

Old 11-05-2008, 05:10 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,904 times
Quote:
Anonymous?? I thought I gave my email and address when I registered. Steve Fischer listed in Rockport Texas (no others by that name) - sorry if it wasn't on profile. So much for that!

The election is over - no one was even standing out at the polling places and to be honest some people prefer that. At the county where they count the votes - the hall only had 2 newspaper people, our county and county court judges, myself and my little girl and two people who I didn't know. By 8:45 everyone left.

Sorry, but I don't get this. I see where you mentioned before about people in Texas watching on the TV rather than all bunch up together in a preordained place. Why on earth would anyone want to hang out in a crowd of strangers and mill about just waiting on elections returns in beyond me. It's plain as the nose on your face what will be will be and so rubbing elbows with a bunch of people you don't even know is, well, I don't know, a little beyond my comprehension.

I did flip over to one of the stations that I knew would be broadcasting results around 11:00 or so, and lo and behold the whole shebang was over and there was Obama giving his acceptance speech. I saw the huge crowd of people jumping up and down in celebration. I guess it's good to have enthusiasm, but my first thoughts were, do these people not have a life? My second thought was, they still got to get out of that mess, drive home and get up to go to work or school in the morning. Well, maybe they don't have to go to work.

Still and all, I just don't get it. I, and everybody I know, goes and does their thing at the polls, goes home and does their normal chores, keeps checking with the TV for latest results (although there was really no need to this time as I believe we all knew the result beforehand) and goes on to bed if it is getting too late, because we have another day ahead of us. We figure we'll know soon enough in the morning. I know when my candidate gets in I say a big old YES! and then get on with my life and the everyday things I have to do. Well, someone has to work and pay for all this hoop la do.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:43 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:

It would be a mistake. Because I believe that Texas could be a swing state in 2012. The people on MSNBC stated that Texas is a state to watch for come the next election. The demographics are headed that way with hispanics coming in, more younger people voting democratic, and people moving in from the midwest and the West.

Dallas and Travis are getting bluer by each election. Harris and Bexar (both counties that won by 11% for the republicans) went democratic, and Tarrant (which went red this year again) looks to be the next major county to turn blue. The Democrats need to capatilize on this and it will be interesting to see what they do in 2010.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:45 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,993,122 times
Well if a commentator on MSNBC said it, it must be true.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:12 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,666,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-Willy View Post
Well if a commentator on MSNBC said it, it must be true.
Maybe one of the twins (Olbermann & Maddow) said it?

Old 11-06-2008, 12:50 AM

29 posts, read 84,811 times
While Harris and Dallas counties maybe turning bluer, Denton, Collin, Williamson, and Montgomery counties are turning redder. Harris and Dallas counties have almost filled up and won't be growing as fast as their suburban counties.

There once was a time when there was one Republican congressman from Texas, George Bush Sr. Before that there were none. Texas used to be yellow dog Democratic country. Charlie Wilson, you know the actor Tom Hanks played him, kept the 2nd District Democratic for a very long time supporting the 2nd Amendment. If the Democrats would have supported Charlie twenty years ago with more funding for Afghanistan, we wouldn't be there now.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:53 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaToby View Post
While Harris and Dallas counties maybe turning bluer, Denton, Collin, Williamson, and Montgomery counties are turning redder. Harris and Dallas counties have almost filled up and won't be growing as fast as their suburban counties.
Look at the south, NW and NE sides of Harris county. Plenty of brand new homes as well as lots more room for growth. Both inner cities are filling up vertically rather quickly as well.

More accurately both the cities and suburbs in these regions are still "purple," with the cities being slightly bluer and the suburbs being slightly redder. The rural areas are bright red and the border counties are dark blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas