Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 03:12 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,886,190 times

Advertisements

Lakota country includes parts of the states of Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana and Wyoming.
The new country would issue its own passports and driving licences, and living there would be tax-free - provided residents renounce their U.S. citizenship, Mr Means said.

I read his book, Where White Men Fear to Tread a few years ago. Since so many (if not all) on the "Rez" are on the government dole, it seems to me that would end if the withdrawal from treaties is actually legal.

The Pine Ridge Rez where he spent some of his life is probably the most poverty-stricken area in the US, and the life expectancies really are that short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 12:51 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,963,142 times
Has this gone into effect? have we redrawn our maps? Do they need to fear civil unrest, or military action?

Old 07-27-2010, 07:33 PM

12 posts, read 17,314 times
Don't worry--Texas is well on its way to becoming a blue state once again. It always should have been a blue state considering its demographics.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:35 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,886,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogentman View Post
Don't worry--Texas is well on its way to becoming a blue state once again. It always should have been a blue state considering its demographics.
I hope and pray that Texas NEVER becomes a blue state.

Ever.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:25 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,431,297 times
But Texas used to be a blue state. Wait, no, it wasn't a "blue" state, it was a "Yellow Dog Democrat" state, as in, "He'd vote for a yellow dog if it was a Democrat." Now, think about that one really hard, folks, and what it really says about both party loyalty and voting by the party and the party line ("red" or "blue"), not contemplating the individual issues.

Also, consider that behaving as if your party is your favorite sports team and is owed unalloyed, unthinking loyalty is not entirely appropriate for making judgments about issues that impact the lives of millions of people.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:25 AM

340 posts, read 646,110 times
How's the deep blue State of California doing? Their budgets must be in a wild surplus...right?

Old 07-28-2010, 11:00 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,716,284 times
Texas has a budget surplus?

Old 07-28-2010, 12:29 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,201,242 times
TexasHorseLady: But in the "yellow dog" days, many of the Texas Democrats were conservative (Ralph Yarborough being a notable exception). I'd say it was equivalent to a "red state" then.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:51 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,974,619 times
TexasHorseLady: Being a democrat now and being a democrat then are two totally different things. From an ideological standpoint the republicans of that day were more like the democrats of today and vice versa. If I remember correctly the political-realignment between the two parties started around the time of FDR. I could go into a brief history lecture but i'm a bit rusty and would have to go back and verify a few things.

As far as this liberal and conservative nonsense. I don't really identify either way anymore. I used to be a proud liberal democrat back when I believed they were actually as liberal and open-minded as they say they are. But as time went on I realized they had their prejudices and arrogant self-righteous ideas just as much as conservatives do so i'm done with it all together. There is a ton of proof of that here on CD. Most of them toss around the term "religious" as if it were a synonym for unstable and dangerous.

If i'm in a crowd full of liberals they always and up saying something that ticks me off and if i'm in a crowd full of conservatives they do the same. The only reason I even bother to vote is because I know a lot of people sacrificed something in order for me to have that right as a black male. But it really doesn't mean much to me anymore.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:54 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,221,957 times
Like a gal from NYC 'splained to me back in '84...

A liberal (democrat) in Texas is still more conservative that a New York conservative, who would be pretty far left in Texas.

In the sense of being a liberal blue state, Texas will probably never get there. Could Texas have a majority of Democrat (not necessarily very liberal) representation, it could happen. Unfortunately, some of the liberals would be whipping boys of the Madame Speaker. Such the nature of 'falling for anything'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas