Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 07:42 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,965,224 times

Advertisements

Well Some State has to offset the Wacky California Electoral College... were the only one up for the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 08:35 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,388,380 times
Texans who didnt graduate from highschool voted overwhelmingly for Bush and probably will for McCain. Think about it, the poorest people, the country folk in Texas are voting Republican, even though Obama "promises" to make lower income folks lives better. Hmmm...so if one really believed Obama would do that, why would they still vote for McCain? Well, whatever the reason, I am glad they will. Obama. NOBAMA. (yes i voted for McCain, but I am a college graduate and a medical professional and I live out in the country)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Well Texas who didn't graduate from high school voted overwhelmingly for Bush so I don't follow their judgment.

To the question about what would I suggest people do- Nothing it was just an observation, and Texas is left out. We don't get to see McCain or Obama or even Biden or Palin.

To the comment that its only a couple of million dollars- Just in direct funds it would be way more than that - hasn't $50 million been spent on Ohio's general election ? We are bigger. That doesn't take into account jobs - and expenditures aside from the direct campaign money.

Horseshoe lady asked what I do- could have messaged me on that. I am an investor although, in my "youth" served as an elected DA (willacy county) and currently serve on the school board. I also have a wildlife refuge on the north shore of Lake Corpus Christi.

One other point - when Obama wins Tuesday- there will be no reason for him to spend funds on Texas. Even if he did a great job, Texans would never support him so he would favor projects in other states. If McCain won he too would ignore Texas except that he might not be so political as he probably wouldn't be around for a 2nd term- too old.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 11-03-2008 at 06:22 AM..

Old 11-02-2008, 08:41 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,676,127 times
I'll be glad when this election is over and everyone can stop all the name calling (even the educated ones doing it) and we can all be RED, WHITE, and BLUE again.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:42 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,434,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
I'll be glad when this election is over and everyone can stop all the name calling (even the educated ones doing it) and we can all be RED, WHITE, and BLUE.
You said it!

Why the compulsion to badmouth people for having a different opinion?

Old 11-02-2008, 10:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,918,474 times
Quote:
Well Texas who didn't graduate from high school voted overwhelmingly for Bush so I don't follow their judgment.

To the question about what would I suggest people do- Nothing it was just an observation, and Texas is left out. We don't get to see McCain or Obama or even Biden or Palin.

To the comment that its only a couple of million dollars- Just in direct funds it would be way more than that - hasn't $50 million been spent on Ohio's general election ? We are bigger. That doesn't take into account jobs - and expenditures aside from the direct campaign money.

Horseshoe lady asked what I do- could have messaged me on that. I am an investor although, in my "youth" served as an elected DA (willacy county) and currently serve on the school board. I also have a wildlife refuge on the north shore of Lake Corpus Christi.

One other point - when Obama wins Tuesday- there will be no reason for him to spend funds on Texas. Even if he did a great job, Texans would never support him so he would favor projects in other states. If McCain won he too would ignore Texas except that he might not be so political as he probably wouldn't be around for a 2nd term- too old.

So what you say is the most important issue is what kind of favors we can get from a president. No wander ;if in fact you are on a school board ;the schools are so screwed up. Maybe you want a liitle dealing under the table for your projects;go hire a lobbist. I bet a pork barrel millon for your so called widlife refuge is your dream. Maybe your being a one time Da in deep south Texas explains alot. We prospered in Carter and in clintons days ;so I think we can survive Obama if need be.

Last edited by texdav; 11-02-2008 at 10:25 PM..

Old 11-03-2008, 05:05 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,526,949 times
If education doesn't matter then why pay taxes for schools- why not just save the money?

The entire country prospered during Clinton days - and he's a hot item on the campaign trail.

The best example of how people feel about our great Texan Bush is that everyone is hiding from him. He's an incumbent president and even the GOP is distancing themselves from Bush. Only in Texas and the deep south is he remotely popular- once again the more illiteracy - the more they like him.

As for favors from a president - they bring us large projects. LBJ put hundreds of millions in defense projects in Texas ( when hundreds of millions was a lot of money).

Old 11-03-2008, 06:33 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,434,410 times
Education matters. However, the fact remains, knowledge is not the same thing as wisdom, far from it. I know some absolute idiots that have numerous advanced degrees and some folks that never graduated high school that have wisdom - and, actually, knowledge, just not book-learning - to spare. I also know wise classically educated people and people with little formal education who couldn't think their way out of a paper sack.

So, you do think that the way to choose a President of the entire country should be based on how much your particular state can expect in the way of kickbacks from him (or her)? That should be WAY down in the criteria, in my opinion. A truly educated person would be able to see the bigger picture.

As for Bush's approval rating in Texas, it doesn't look like it's what you're claiming.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:46 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Education matters. However, the fact remains, knowledge is not the same thing as wisdom, far from it. I know some absolute idiots that have numerous advanced degrees and some folks that never graduated high school that have wisdom - and, actually, knowledge, just not book-learning - to spare. I also know wise classically educated people and people with little formal education who couldn't think their way out of a paper sack.
Thank you!!

Old 11-03-2008, 06:57 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,005,565 times
Quote:
If education doesn't matter then why pay taxes for schools- why not just save the money?

The entire country prospered during Clinton days - and he's a hot item on the campaign trail.

The best example of how people feel about our great Texan Bush is that everyone is hiding from him. He's an incumbent president and even the GOP is distancing themselves from Bush. Only in Texas and the deep south is he remotely popular- once again the more illiteracy - the more they like him.

As for favors from a president - they bring us large projects. LBJ put hundreds of millions in defense projects in Texas ( when hundreds of millions was a lot of money).
Who's knocking education?All that's been said is that college degrees don't automatically impose some form of wisdom and superiority on a person.

From what I can get you seem to be making 2 points.That we should vote against Reps just so next time the candidates will assume Texas to be close and come campaign here and spend money here.Second,that we should vote for whoever seems likely to win so that after winning he wil reward us with pork projects.Both necessitate people voting against their conscience for the chance to profit monetarily from the election.If that is the way you approach electing your leaders then have at it.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:40 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,526,949 times
WRONG LIFERTEXAN-- I never said we should change our vote based on revenue. It was like most of the threads on here - an observation. Others are less controversial and when you get upset you create things that aren't there. A thread "Rockport best birding" "Corpus - high crime?" are people's observations. Do they mean we should import more birds to Rockport? Or help corpus fight more crime? Aside from the money, my kids would love to see the candidates for president and vice president speak nearby , but its not going to happen (well my son is US Senate Page for Texas and he is on C-Span whenever the Senate is in session, however as McCain and Obama are absent he still doesn't get to see or talk to them (Obama and Biden once - McCain 0, Kay Bailey Hutchinson a bunch).

Its easy to say just because one has education doesn't mean they know more, but those who have more education instead of dropping out show two things 1. They made an effort to get an education 2. They were willing to learn from OTHERS (teachers, students).
Take a look at some of the blogs in your local newspaper- I read EL Paso and Corpus. Everyone makes grammatical mistakes as they ( I) usually don't edit but there are plenty of people who can't master 3rd grade grammar. Many of them complain against illegals, as illiterates who haven't bothered to get an education they are threatened by someone who is willing to work harder. Most but not all of these posters also supported Bush and McCain. I never saw any of them written in support of my first choice candidate Ron Paul, but then again not that many people supported Paul in toto.

Those with graduate school are big for Obama just as those who dropped out of high school are for McCain- you can say all you want that the dropouts have more knowledge, and if you really in your heart and head believe that - more power to you- but I'm not buying it and few others outside of Texas would either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas