Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 02:22 PM

397 posts, read 1,025,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Yeah but you're shoveling out money in heaps to live in SD.

(Understandable though -- the weather there is as close to perfect as you can get.)
Actually, it doesn't cost me that much, but it could be if you bought property in the last few years.
When I came from Germany quite some years ago, I bought my 3BR 2BA condo in La Jolla for still under $500K, and it has a magnificent ocean view, located a few blocks from the water. Today, it is of course worth much more, but those were good times. At that time I put down 50% and paid the rest off fairly quickly. So now, I pay income taxes, property taxes (which are much lower than TX, because CA has a state income tax) and the condo fees.

Apart from perhaps gas, cost of living expenses are pretty similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 02:39 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
My husband had to do a run into North Dakota once when we lived in Denver. It was high winter and his truck broke down out in the middle of nowhere. He said he was sure he was about to die, it was so cold! He said luckily another trucker ended up coming by after who knows how many hours, and helped him out. He said he would never want to get stuck in North Dakota in the winter no matter how much you paid him He loves the show "Ice Road Truckers" and thinks it'd be fun to try and do that once, especially since they pay so much, but then he thinks about that Dakota incident and knows Alaska probably gets a lot colder than that, and then changes his mind
Boy, that was scary. Both extremes can be so dangerous.

Texas' winters are really great in most places......and parts do get snow and ice from time to time. But my first winter out of Texas...it snowed like crazy THREE times in Midland.....and we didn't get anything but very light flurries north of town here.

BAH HUMBUG.

One thing I hate about this forum setup....you can't go back and fix typos after the first few minutes....

It's Guadalupe...... I hate it when I make typos and screwups....

Old 08-12-2008, 04:03 PM

636 posts, read 1,916,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
... but it could be if you bought property in the last few years.
When I came from Germany quite some years ago, I bought my 3BR 2BA condo in La Jolla for still under $500K.... Today, it is of course worth much more....
Well, I kind of think "today" is what we're talking about here. We really don't care what the cost of living was "some years ago".

Plus, you live in a 'condo'.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:33 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb2522 View Post
Well, I kind of think "today" is what we're talking about here. We really don't care what the cost of living was "some years ago".

Plus, you live in a 'condo'.
Many of us like to discuss the cost of living "some years ago." I think the poster was just making a comparison and didn't intend to irritate you.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Many of us like to discuss the cost of living "some years ago." I think the poster was just making a comparison and didn't intend to irritate you.
Thanks so much for your response, but the poster was replying to a previous comment regarding the difference in cost of living between California and Texas:

"Yeah but you're shoveling out money in heaps to live in SD."

You see, you're is present tense.

And yes, I often love to talk about how things were, when appropriate. That's why I'm always posting in that "remember these" thread.

Last edited by tycobb2522; 08-12-2008 at 07:37 PM..

Old 08-13-2008, 04:46 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,719 times
what 500K could buy me in Texas, if I had anywhere near that kind of money-alot more than a condo, that's for dang sure!

Old 08-13-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
what 500K could buy me in Texas, if I had anywhere near that kind of money-alot more than a condo, that's for dang sure!
Well, it all depends on what you want. For me, a 3BR 2BA condo is plenty of space - it is just my husband and I, and since we both travel a lot, we certainly do not want a huge place or garden to take care of. Incidentally, we can afford to buy a house with a big garden etc. in San Diego - but we choose not to.

Also, since we are in such a great location, I don't have that much reason to spend my time indoors - I am close to the ocean, mountains, parks etc.

Personally, I would never trade my "condo" for a mansion in TX. The shift of culture and quality of life would not be an option.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much for your response, but the poster was replying to a previous comment regarding the difference in cost of living between California and Texas:

And yes, I often love to talk about how things were, when appropriate. That's why I'm always posting in that "remember these" thread.
Well, the poster implied that I am spending loads of money (PRESENT TENSE) and I explained that I am not (PRESENT TENSE). Then, as an aside, I explained what I did in the past (PAST TENSE) to prevent me from paying so much now (PRESENT TENSE). Is that enough PRESENT TENSE for you?

Old 08-13-2008, 06:41 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
Quote:

Old 08-13-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
Well, the poster implied that I am spending loads of money (PRESENT TENSE) and I explained that I am not (PRESENT TENSE). Then, as an aside, I explained what I did in the past (PAST TENSE) to prevent me from paying so much now (PRESENT TENSE). Is that enough PRESENT TENSE for you?
Thanks for one of the more bizarre posts that I've seen in a while. But unfortunately, you failed to make any point whatsoever.

But no problem, I'll make it simple for you: What was implied was that the cost of living in SD is more expensive than here. And it is.

Hey, thanks for coming over and entertaining us...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas