Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 05:19 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,964,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
You are getting at ridership per mile again. It's very simple, really -- as Houston expands it's rail beyond the 7.5 miles and introduces longer trips (to the outer neighborhoods or airports or the burbs), ridership will go up, but not at the same rate as the increase in miles. Will it take 45 miles for Houston ridership to reach 66K? If they stick to short trips within the inner city neighborhoods, no... they may reach that # in less than 30 miles. Which would be impressive, but that wouldn't be linking IAH or the burbs.
No he's not. Houston's (now) 45,000 riders per day will only increase as the other lines come to completion in a couple of years. The new University Line alone is expected to get 40,000 riders a day upon completion, nearly doubling the ridership now.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:31 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,379,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
No he's not. Houston's (now) 45,000 riders per day will only increase as the other lines come to completion in a couple of years. The new University Line alone is expected to get 40,000 riders a day upon completion, nearly doubling the ridership now.
Just stop it! One cannot accurately compare Houston's current one 7.5 mile segment of of rail located in a high density area to Dallas or any other city with an established 40 mile + rail system. It really is quite simple, as the number of rail miles increase the amount of rpm decreases. Let's compare when Houston has at least 40 miles of operational light rail line with 5+ years of usage. I do realize we will have to wait awhile.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQgritz View Post
Just stop it! One cannot accurately compare Houston's current one 7.5 mile segment of of rail located in a high density area to Dallas or any other city with an established 40 mile + rail system. It really is quite simple, as the number of rail miles increase the amount of rpm decreases. Let's compare when Houston has at least 40 miles of operational light rail line with 5+ years of usage. I do realize we will have to wait awhile.
Who is talking about riders per mile though because 45,000 riders per miles is definitely not what Houston's system gets. Is it that hard to understand that 45,000 rider per day is what the current Red Line gets? Once you add in more lines to Houston's overall system, then that 45,000 now for METRORail, will only increase. It's expected to double alone with the University Line (expected to draw about 40,000 a day once opening).

Old 12-17-2008, 04:22 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,936,247 times
Once Houston's mileage of rail lines increase, ridership will go down per mile. You have a 7.5 mile rail line; of course your riders per mile will be more because there is a scant number of rail line!

Old 12-17-2008, 04:24 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,178,892 times
Did they take the train from Astroworld and run it up to downtown?

Old 12-17-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Once Houston's mileage of rail lines increase, ridership will go down per mile. You have a 7.5 mile rail line; of course your riders per mile will be more because there is a scant number of rail line!
Of course it would. Who is denying that? We have a 7.5 rail line that gets 45,000 riders per day. The new University Line alone (the only one with predictions that I remember), is expected to get 40,000 riders per day. Notice that I'm not talking about riders per miles, which you and BBQ seem to think.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:37 PM

20,517 posts, read 33,569,529 times
Quote:
I agree, except Houston Pavilions is just a small part on what is going on in that section of Downtown Houston. You have the new park (Discovery Green), new 500-foot residential tower, Embassy Suites, new convention center hotel, new rail lines coming in, and all of the office towers going up around it. Not to mention retail already there (especially Macy's).
The concept of VP was good but the idea and the neighborhood was not really executed correctly. They tried building a fancy high class super rich luxurious area from scratch. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. It takes time for those neighborhoods to become like those. River Oaks in Houston didn't start out the way it did. Georgetown in DC did not start out the way it did. Why Ross Perot thought this would work is beyond me.

To get good pedestrian traffic, you need regular people such as ourselves. Too bad they had clothes, food, and shops that us regular people cannot afford. So what's the point of going there if we can't do anything. That's why it failed. Not to mention that there is a huge barrier between West End and VP. I think VP needs to have more affordable residential neighborhoods and more affordable residential retail. Once the neighborhood is settled, than you can get the higher end stuff down there. I think VP can still work out. Just needs to change it's plans.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:58 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,689,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Did they take the train from Astroworld and run it up to downtown?
Thatta boy!

Old 12-17-2008, 10:31 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,889,324 times
Quote:
Of course it would. Who is denying that? We have a 7.5 rail line that gets 45,000 riders per day. The new University Line alone (the only one with predictions that I remember), is expected to get 40,000 riders per day. Notice that I'm not talking about riders per miles, which you and BBQ seem to think.
I will simplify further:

If you TRULY want to talk about ridership only, then there is only one comparison:

1. Houston has 39,500 riders per day
2. Dallas has 65,900 riders per day, or 67% more than Houston.

And that's the end of it. If you choose to mention the length of the rail in either city, then SORRY, but you are talking about ridership compared to miles, or ridership per mile. See how easy it is when the rules of logic are applied?

Old 12-17-2008, 10:45 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,234,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I will simplify further:

If you TRULY want to talk about ridership only, then there is only one comparison:

1. Houston has 39,500 riders per day
2. Dallas has 65,900 riders per day, or 67% more than Houston.

And that's the end of it. If you choose to mention the length of the rail in either city, then SORRY, but you are talking about ridership compared to miles, or ridership per mile. See how easy it is when the rules of logic are applied?
no for the whole 45 mile rail line in Dallas, it is 65,900 and for the 7 miles in Houston it is 39,500. Were not talking rpm, you guys keep bringing it up because you know Houston is pretty close to Dallas in ridership, even with just a 7 mile rail line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas