Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 02:33 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
Houston vs. Dallas education. Hmmmm... the numbers say that DFW has Houston narrowly beat in terms of the educational attainment of residents. Austin is far and away the most educated metro in Texas.

DFW, however, does not have a school quite on the level of Rice, so there's that.

Either way, education as a whole isn't really something either city should brag about in my opinion.
No school in North Texas, or Texas for that matter can compete with Rice, which competes with other Ivy League schools like Yale.

SMU falls short.

Feel free to compare the two for yourself: http://www.noodle.org/search/college...me_bracket=all

Who has the brains now?

Old 06-03-2014, 02:35 PM

638 posts, read 568,243 times
I never said I was a a Dallas fan boy. But I am Texas fan boy. And I am entitled to my opinion after 61 years of living in Texas. The Houston model is severely flawed to me and I favor DFW and Austin immediately without question.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:55 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,345,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1953 View Post
I never said I was a a Dallas fan boy. But I am Texas fan boy. And I am entitled to my opinion after 61 years of living in Texas. The Houston model is severely flawed to me and I favor DFW and Austin immediately without question.
Austin is not on the same level of Houston or DFW.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:58 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,495,190 times
Quote:
The Houston model is the Texas model. The oil companies are here because they want to be here not because Houston is the only city that would have them. Every city in this state competed for and are still competing to be the center of big Oil, Houston won, and is still winning. If Dallas had won, Houston would have the more diversified economy, if Austin had won Houston would have the better high tech presence.In fact, Houston is the only city out of the three that truly has something the others just cannot have and that is access to a deep-water port, and salt water recreational opportunities. Land-locked metropolises are limited in so many ways Houston is not. So "I" think the Houston model is actually superior.

You are entitled to your opinion just don't expect to post it in this forum and not have it challenged.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:58 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,419 times
Quote:
Would you care to elaborate on how you feel like the Houston model is severely flawed? Is it a zoning issue or something else you feel strongly about?

I have no problem admitting I'm a Houston booster, and I definitely have not lived in Texas for anywhere close to years. I don't care who likes Houston and who doesn't to be quite honest. But my interest is that people evaluate based on the facts and oftentimes in Houston-based conversations the facts get lost due to emotion(on both sides). It's a polarizing city and I don't expect everyone to love it, but I expect it to get a fair evaluation.

Too many times people say things like -
  • Houston's the most polluted city in the country (it's not).
  • Houston has the worst traffic in Texas (it doesn't).
  • Houston is the hottest major city in Texas (it's not).
  • Houston's blue collar/poor/etc. (it's not, in a BIG way)
  • Houston is full of <insert ethnic group you think there's too many of here>
  • Houston's the most dangerous city in Texas (depends on the year statistically)

....and the stereotypes go on. Many of these come directly from Dallasites seeking to increase the profile of their city at Houston's expense, and it's annoying. For the most part, one ever gets ANYTHING about Houston right! When you say most of the following, people start scratching their head and most often get a confused look on their face, etc.
  • Houston is the wealthiest metro area in the South - wealthier than DFW, and significantly wealthier than Austin, Atlanta and Miami on a per capita basis.
  • Houston has more Fortune 500 companies than anywhere but NYC.
  • Houston has amongst the most parkland of any large city.
  • Houston actually has great weather for a good 4-6 months of the year.
  • Houston is not just oil - we have the largest Medical Center on the face of the Earth.

...and that list goes on as well. I've had people visit from other places and hate it and also had people visit from other places and fall in love with it. To each his own. But no, we're not going to sit idly by and just allow misinformation to go flying about, especially from Dallasites.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:59 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
Would you care to elaborate on how you feel like the Houston model is severely flawed? Is it a zoning issue or something else you feel strongly about?

I have no problem admitting I'm a Houston booster, and I definitely have not lived in Texas for anywhere close to years. I don't care who likes Houston and who doesn't to be quite honest. But my interest is that people evaluate based on the facts and oftentimes in Houston-based conversations the facts get lost due to emotion(on both sides). It's a polarizing city and I don't expect everyone to love it, but I expect it to get a fair evaluation.

Too many times people say things like -
  • Houston's the most polluted city in the country (it's not).
  • Houston has the worst traffic in Texas (it doesn't).
  • Houston is the hottest major city in Texas (it's not).
  • Houston's blue collar/poor/etc. (it's not, in a BIG way)
  • Houston is full of <insert ethnic group you think there's too many of here>
  • Houston's the most dangerous city in Texas (depends on the year statistically)

....and the stereotypes go on. Many of these come directly from Dallasites seeking to increase the profile of their city at Houston's expense, and it's annoying. For the most part, one ever gets ANYTHING about Houston right! When you say most of the following, people start scratching their head and most often get a confused look on their face, etc.
  • Houston is the wealthiest metro area in the South - wealthier than DFW, and significantly wealthier than Austin, Atlanta and Miami on a per capita basis.
  • Houston has more Fortune 500 companies than anywhere but NYC.
  • Houston has amongst the most parkland of any large city.
  • Houston actually has great weather for a good 4-6 months of the year.
  • Houston is not just oil - we have the largest Medical Center on the face of the Earth.

...and that list goes on as well. I've had people visit from other places and hate it and also had people visit from other places and fall in love with it. To each his own. But no, we're not going to sit idly by and just allow misinformation to go flying about, especially from Dallasites.
Too many people living in the 70's & 80's.

Its not your fathers or grandfather's Houston we're talking about here.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:04 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Too many people living in the 70's & 80's.

Its not your fathers or grandfather's Houston we're talking about here.
That's precisely my point.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:19 PM

Default Why

Why does Exxon, Chevron keep their headquarters in San Fransisco and Dallas?

Old 06-03-2014, 03:24 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,495,190 times
Quote:
Why does Exxon, Chevron keep their headquarters in San Fransisco and Dallas?
Oh please just get to your point ?

Old 06-03-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Oh please just get to your point ?
My point. I criticize not. Just to encourage Houston people to think about what they do in the big picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas