Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 11:51 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,569,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
Houston, we have another problem. Your urban core ISN'T walkable!
Neither is that uber-dense TMC.
Dallas' Farmer's Market is more walkable than Houston's most walkable neighborhood, Midtown.
People in Dallas can walk to an average of 0.9 restaurants, bars and coffee shops in 5 minutes.
People in Houston can walk to an average of 0.5 restaurants, bars and coffee shops in 5 minutes.

Walk Score/Transit Score

Top five Dallas urban core neighborhood averages-82/70
Top five Houston urban core neighborhood averages-70/69

Dallas

Main Street District-97/87
Government District-95/87
City Center District-90/84
Farmer's Market-82/77
Oak Lawn-76/57
M Streets-71-50
Oak Cliff-62/50

Houston

Midtown-81/82
Montrose-79/53
Downtown-77/88
Museum District-71/63
Fourth Ward-70/78
University Place-66/59
TMC-49/61

LMFAO..

i just searched "downtown Dallas" walkability score on that same site.. it was a 68 (Dallas TX - Walk Score).. looks like downtown Houstons walkability at 77 is much better than Dallas. i guess it is DALLAS that has the problem and needs to work on walkability in the core...

Old 05-29-2014, 12:02 PM

420 posts, read 706,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
LMFAO..

i just searched "downtown Dallas" walkability score on that same site.. it was a 68 (Dallas TX - Walk Score).. looks like downtown Houstons walkability at 77 is much better than Dallas. i guess it is DALLAS that has the problem and needs to work on walkability in the core...

Actually what you linked isn't downtown Dallas. For some reason downtown Dallas won't even pull up. You type in downtown dallas and it pulls up what you linked to, what it calls northeast Dallas, or "Old East Dallas" as it's actually called.

Downtown Houston and Downtown Fort Worth (which I pulled up for curiosity) both have wrong boundaries, much like city data does.

I can't imagine that the walk scores for downtown Dallas and Houston being much different or noticeable. It's a downtown. Both are going to have restaurants, coffee shops, banks, bars, parks, etc. in walking distance.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:07 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,569,696 times
lol. fine. the website sucks and caused me to screw up..

doesnt change the fact that very website says Houston (44.2) is more walkable than Dallas (43.6)
Most Walkable Cities in the United States, Canada, and Australia on Walk Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
I can't imagine that the walk scores for downtown Dallas and Houston being much different or noticeable. It's a downtown. Both are going to have restaurants, coffee shops, banks, bars, parks, etc. in walking distance.
i completely agree. i just think it was RIDICULOUS that BCB thought there was nothing wrong with comparing tiny little sectors of downtown Dallas to all of downtown Houston.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:31 PM

420 posts, read 706,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
That's fine & dandy, but where's the water? I suppose after that nice little rain we had surely your dried up creek bed has some water in it albeit temporarily.

How are you not going to include the infrastructure (freeway reconstruction, bike paths, managed lanes, maintenance costs, etc.) in the final cost it takes to build those bridges when that's the most vital thing? How else are cars going to get on those so called bridges from the major arteries surrounding downtown? You can't just build a bridge & call it a day its a little more complicated than that if you know anything about construction work & engineering. I guess until we have hoover cars this won't be an issue, but for now it is.

Another big duhr, duhr, duhr from Raystokes.

I love it when you turn to insults. I'm going to do this one more time very slowly so maybe a light might turn on in your stubborn brain.

You wrongly claimed (as you do often on this forum) that Dallas built a bridge, the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge, for $1 billion. Then you posted a link crowing that the article backed you up with $798 million. Then as Dallasboi and I pointed out, people who actually read and understood the article, the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge only cost a little over $100 million to build. Is that a lot? Yes. Could it have been done for cheaper? Sure. But it turned out to be a success as evidenced by the adjacent neighborhood that is currently being turned around.

The rest of that money is an estimate that includes two other bridges that haven't been built yet, another bridge that is for pedestrians and cyclists, and then maintenance, not just on this bridge but all bridges and the freeways nearby. So, no, there is not any single bridge in all of Dallas/Fort Worth that costs anywhere near $1 billion no matter how much you want it to. And this is the last I'm going to post on this subject because it's become tiresome repeating myself to somebody so stubborn and all too happy to live in his delusions.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:42 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,490,651 times
Quote:
As Dallasboi pointed out, you didn't even read the article. The bridge costed nowhere near $798 million. That is the estimate for all the bridges they plan on building, including pedestrian/bike bridges, and repair work for I-30 and I-35. So you were actually only off by about $900 million on what the bridge actually cost to build. Good job, Matt.

And it's called an investment to the future. What you call a $500 "scrap" of a neighborhood has already started turning around with lots of new business and will be gentrified into a neighborhood that will be desirable in the near future. I guess Dallas didn't have to build anything to try and inspire growth south of downtown. It sure hurts the narrative of detractors that proclaim "Dallas doesn't care about anybody south of I-30!!!"
Yep, and the ongoing boom in West Dallas has all but silenced the critics:

More trendy apartments planned for West Dallas | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth
Quote:
DALLAS — "Large Marge" is really rolling now.
The iconic Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge spanning the Trinity River continues to open economic development in West Dallas, energizing that once-stagnant neighborhood.
West Dallas is becoming hotbed of apartment construction | Dallas Morning News
Quote:
Projects adding up
Now developers are pouring millions in new projects in the area, he said. “If you look at the Belmont, Sylvan Thirty and the Wood Partners deals, those total up to more than $140 million.”

Old 05-29-2014, 04:33 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,015,869 times
Quote:
I love it when you turn to insults. I'm going to do this one more time very slowly so maybe a light might turn on in your stubborn brain.

You wrongly claimed (as you do often on this forum) that Dallas built a bridge, the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge, for $1 billion. Then you posted a link crowing that the article backed you up with $798 million. Then as Dallasboi and I pointed out, people who actually read and understood the article, the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge only cost a little over $100 million to build. Is that a lot? Yes. Could it have been done for cheaper? Sure. But it turned out to be a success as evidenced by the adjacent neighborhood that is currently being turned around.

The rest of that money is an estimate that includes two other bridges that haven't been built yet, another bridge that is for pedestrians and cyclists, and then maintenance, not just on this bridge but all bridges and the freeways nearby. So, no, there is not any single bridge in all of Dallas/Fort Worth that costs anywhere near $1 billion no matter how much you want it to. And this is the last I'm going to post on this subject because it's become tiresome repeating myself to somebody so stubborn and all too happy to live in his delusions.
1 bridge, 2 bridges, 3 bridges, or 30 bridges its still close to a billion dollar project once its all said & done. I can almost gaurantee you $798 million won't cover 100% of the final cost. What about the water under neath it, the key feature? Was that factored into getting it full of water too? I bet not.

Dallas builds before it thinks not thinks before it builds. Such as the case with its low ridership at the rail stations.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:16 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,792,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
1 bridge, 2 bridges, 3 bridges, or 30 bridges its still close to a billion dollar project once its all said & done. I can almost gaurantee you $798 million won't cover 100% of the final cost. What about the water under neath it, the key feature? Was that factored into getting it full of water too? I bet not.

Dallas builds before it thinks not thinks before it builds. Such as the case with its low ridership at the rail stations.
Due to it being a car-oriented metro, I don't think there was any way around this except not building any rail at all or building a very short line for the sole purpose of having a higher ridership per station. The ridership has risen over the years and will continue to do so.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:29 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,786,070 times
"Why Emirates is upgrading to the A380 for daily service at D/FW Airport"

Quote:
Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport will join an exclusive club as the Emirates Airbus A380 takes off toward Dubai at 12:35 p.m. Oct. 1.
Already the world’s third busiest airport in terms of operations, it will be one of 29 airports worldwide that Emirates serves with the A380 and the third U.S. destination with the others being New York City and Los Angeles.

Flights from Dallas to Dubai will be among the longest that Emirates flies, second to Los Angeles. That’s a big reason why Emirates takes luxuries and amenities to another level with the A380.

Other amenities include an on-board lounge and bar where first-class and business passengers can network while enjoying drinks and gourmet food. They’ve also got two spas available for first-class passengers.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:35 PM

4,438 posts, read 6,315,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
where is Dallas' list of ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTEEN high-rises planned for the city? oh yeah.. didnt think so.
While the sheer number of development going on around Houston is impressive from and economic standpoint. The majority of these highrises don't add much to the urban fabric in terms of creating a cohesive urban environment. There's some that do, but most don't.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:41 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,786,070 times
Yay! I love Bonobos' quality...as a matter of fact, I have some on now!

"Bonobos e-commerce retailer to open Dallas brick-and-mortar shop"

Quote:
Bonobos will open its Guideshop Dallas location on Henderson Avenue on June 6. The 1,200 square-foot space provides shoppers the chance to see and try on clothing in person before placing their orders online.

The Dallas location is the New York-based company’s ninth shop in the nation and second in Texas. The retailer currently has locations in Bethesda, Md.; Boston; Chicago; Washington, D.C.; New York City and San Francisco.

The shop features experts, called Bonobos Guides, who provide guests with one-on-one assistance. Guests can sign up for complementary appointments online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas