Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 09:50 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,465,371 times

Advertisements

And Imo River Oaks is fairly overrated to me. It only looks slightly better than the average areas of Houston. Now don't get me wrong,it IS a nice area,but i seem to always have to be reminded that I'm passing through the NICEST area of Houston. In dallas the nicer areas are quite evident.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:53 PM

563 posts, read 911,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Thanks for helping me prove my point....In Dallas its really not necessary to exit the freeway to notice the transitional change from all the great neighborhoods existing along the hwys....In Houston you have mid to highrise big,bland "tall" buildings of no significance lining every freeway in the city which causes you to feel like your driving in circles. That's why its so easy to get confused driving down there. No points of interest to use for navigating around town. Just big bland bunches of brown, beige and grey boxes everywhere. Of course it feels bigger but nothing interesting ever pops out from the jungles of skyscrapers that are faaaar as the eye can see in every direction.......And all of the buildings that are supposed to be interesting are poorly designed like the tacky hospital on I-10 with the carnival on top....JUST HIDEOUS...please stop people!!
Last I checked that's what a REAL city looks like... Been to N.Y., L.A., or Chicago lately? Boston maybe?

These "brown buildings" are home to some of the thousands of businesses we have here in Houston. You guys have a downtown with buildings that feel half the size of the ones in Houston. I have more fun walking through downtown Austin. IMO Dallas needs more buildings to make me feel like I'm in an actually BIG city. Once you've passed downtown (especially to the south) that's all she wrote folks.

This is why Houston will continue growing as an international city and Dallas will continue to be the place where people have to "change planes" to get to a real city.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:02 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,465,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
Last I checked that's what a REAL city looks like... Been to N.Y., L.A., or Chicago lately? Boston maybe?

These "brown buildings" are home to some of the thousands of businesses we have here in Houston. You guys have a downtown with buildings that feel half the size of the ones in Houston. I have more fun walking through downtown Austin. IMO Dallas needs more buildings to make me feel like I'm in an actually BIG city. Once you've passed downtown (especially to the south) that's all she wrote folks.

This is why Houston will continue growing as an international city and Dallas will continue to be the place where people have to "change planes" to get to a real city.
Calm down!!!.....I know Houston is a very important place. Just proving my point about Houston looking the same EVERYWHERE. Not taking anything away from the most international city in the universe!

Old 07-30-2011, 10:07 PM

6,721 posts, read 9,970,837 times
Quote:

Seriously! So, I guess Washington DC isn't a real city either because it doesn't have any skyscrapers. When did skyscrapers make a city? Houston's buildings are bland and ugly. Go to skyscrapercity.com. People from around the world say Houston's buildings are bland and ugly. They really talk about JPMorgan Chase Tower.

Dallas two tallest skyscrapers have more sq ft then Houston's two tallest buildings.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:37 PM

563 posts, read 911,215 times
I guess you're still a little sour that it takes two of your cities to try and match our population growth and STILL missed it by a mile.

IMO when I think of the word "city" I think of bunch of tall buildings with a lot of people, like N.Y.

FACT: Houston has over 450 buildings. Dallas barely breaks 300.

I'm just saying that when I think of the two cities, Houston feels like more of a city. Dallas kind of feels like I'm standing in my backyard (if I lived in Kentucky).

Old 07-30-2011, 10:39 PM

6,721 posts, read 9,970,837 times
Quote:
I guess you're still a little sour that it takes two of your cities to try and match our population growth and STILL missed it by a mile.

IMO when I think of the word "city" I think of bunch of tall buildings with a lot of people, like N.Y.

I'm just saying that when I think of the two cities, Houston feels like more of a city. Dallas kind of feels like I'm standing in my backyard (if I lived in Kentucky).
That's a bunch of bull and you know it!
Buildings have nothing to do with citylife.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:35 AM

491 posts, read 887,375 times
Quote:
Thanks for helping me prove my point....In Dallas its really not necessary to exit the freeway to notice the transitional change from all the great neighborhoods existing along the hwys....In Houston you have mid to highrise big,bland "tall" buildings of no significance lining every freeway in the city which causes you to feel like your driving in circles. That's why its so easy to get confused driving down there. No points of interest to use for navigating around town. Just big bland bunches of brown, beige and grey boxes everywhere. Of course it feels bigger but nothing interesting ever pops out from the jungles of skyscrapers that are faaaar as the eye can see in every direction.......And all of the buildings that are supposed to be interesting are poorly designed like the tacky hospital on I-10 with the carnival on top....JUST HIDEOUS...please stop people!!
You should have quit while you were behind.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:16 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,971,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Seriously! So, I guess Washington DC isn't a real city either because it doesn't have any skyscrapers. When did skyscrapers make a city? Houston's buildings are bland and ugly. Go to skyscrapercity.com. People from around the world say Houston's buildings are bland and ugly. They really talk about JPMorgan Chase Tower.

Dallas two tallest skyscrapers have more sq ft then Houston's two tallest buildings.
At least DC is the center of its metro. The DC suburbs may talk down on DC, but they all go there to shop (Georgetown), go to museums, concerts, sporting events, etc. Houston and DC are more alike in that regard than they are with Dallas. And do list the posts at SSC who talk about Houston's skyline like that. My time when I use to be on that site, people like the Houston skyline. They like all skylines since it's a skyline/skyscraper website. It would be the banner at SSC many many times.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:40 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,611,357 times
Quote:

Well this is a big steaming load of crap. Some of you never cease to amaze me.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:52 AM

4,440 posts, read 6,318,396 times
Quote:
Stop the music! "carnival music" lol

There is a hospital with a carnival built on top of it? lol
I need someone to post a pic of this or I won't believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas