Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 07:20 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,986,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
It feels segregated, in comparison to Houston. I think it's mainly due to Houston's different zoning patterns that doesn't segregate socio-economic.
City sizes sleep the numbers to. If you look at those Census 2010 racial dot map, you can clearly see that the Houston area overall is more integrated than DFW.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:51 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,374,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Both are evergreens so they just look good together, especially compared to the depressing dead of winter Dallas gets when everything turns brown. Its one of the reasons I like Northern Houston & The Woodlands so much. If you've ever been to Northern Florida it looks very similar. One would be hard pressed to tell the two apart.
It sounds like you just like the way they look together. I've still never heard anyone else say they go together. Palms look out of place in North Houston, to me. I like the mix of hardwoods and pines much better.

Quote:
Oh & one more thing there is no such thing as a "South Carolina palm" being native to Houston. The name says it all right? The only palms native to Texas are the Dwarf Palmetto which grows in the Piney Woods of East Texas & the Sabal Texana in South Texas along the coast. Both thrive in the Houston area as with many other species of palms such as the Fan Palms, Date Palms, Queen Palms, King Palms, Sago Palms, Pindo Palms, Needle Palms, Windmill Palms, etc. etc. etc.
I never suggested that there was an actual South Carolina palm. That's just what I call them, since they're commonly associated with the state. It's actually the sabal palmetto, and I was incorrect in saying that it's native here, but they are here. The dwarf palmetto grows throughout the southeast, and the info I found on the sabal texana said that it isn't native to the Houston area, but rather further South Texas.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:07 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,048,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
It sounds like you just like the way they look together. I've still never heard anyone else say they go together. Palms look out of place in North Houston, to me. I like the mix of hardwoods and pines much better.
I've got several species of palm trees planted in my yard up here in Tyler (Jelly Palms, Queen Palms, Dwarf Palmettos, Windmills, Canary Island Dates, & European Fans) some 200 miles from the coast. In fact, we have quite a few palm trees around Tyler, mostly Mexican Fans, Windmills, & Sagos, although the Sabal Texana has recently become a popular palm here.

Quote:
I never suggested that there was an actual South Carolina palm. That's just what I call them, since they're commonly associated with the state. It's actually the sabal palmetto, and I was incorrect in saying that it's native here, but they are here. The dwarf palmetto grows throughout the southeast, and the info I found on the sabal texana said that it isn't native to the Houston area, but rather further South Texas.
The South Carolina Palm you speak of & the Sabal Texana are in the same family, but different. One is native to South Texas, the other to South Carolina & Florida. Similar yes, the same, no.

I'm the one who told you they weren't native to Houston. You just looked it up to confirm what you thought I didn't know. I said they grow well in the Houston area because of the high humidity & warm coastal temperatures.

On the Dward Palmetto, they do grow all throughout the Southeast from Southeastern Oklahoma to East Texas to Florida. A small pocket of them are even found in Southern Dallas County.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 02-18-2012 at 03:48 PM..

Old 02-18-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I've got several species of palm trees planted in my yard up here in Tyler (Jelly Palms, Queen Palms, Dwarf Palmettos, Windmills, Canary Island Dates, & European Fans) some 200 miles from the coast. In fact, we have quite a few palm trees around Tyler, mostly Mexican Fans, Windmills, & Sagos, although the Sabal Texana has recently become a popular palm here.

If they don't look good together then what is Northern Florida & the rest of the Southeast to you? Ugly?
The word "ugly" never crossed my mind. They simply look out of place, especially when they're obviously planted. North of I-10 doesn't have that same coastal feel as southern Houston.

Quote:
The South Carolina Palm you speak of & the Sabal Texana are in the same family, but different. One is native to South Texas, the other to South Carolina & Florida. Similar yes, the same, no.
Never said otherwise.

Quote:
I'm the one who told you they weren't native to Houston. You just looked it up to confirm what you thought I didn't know. I said they grow well in the Houston area because of the high humidity & warm coastal temperatures.
I believed the sabal palmetto was native to Houston, and I was incorrect about that. But you're right. My bad.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
The word "ugly" never crossed my mind. They simply look out of place, especially when they're obviously planted. North of I-10 doesn't have that same coastal feel as southern Houston.
I've got pictures of Panama City Beach, Florida where pine trees & palms are growing right next to each other along the beach in the sugary white sand. None of which were planted.

Northern Houston is still considered the Gulf Coast. The Woodlands is still on the Gulf Coast, but is also where the Piney Woods begins. Houston really sits are the crossroads. You can draw imaginary lines with an interstate all you want to, but if you've ever been down to Clear Lake near NASA you'll see naturally occurring pine trees next to planted palm trees all over the place. Logging used to be a pretty big industry in Houston, before that there were pine trees literally covering the region.

This doesn't look good to you?

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-29-2012 at 05:47 AM..

Old 02-18-2012, 04:15 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,540,860 times
Quote:

So palm trees in Dallas are ugly and out of place because it's not a coastal city, but you're fine with them in your front yard in Tyler?

Old 02-18-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
So palm trees in Dallas are ugly and out of place because it's not a coastal city, but you're fine with them in your front yard in Tyler?
I'd say Tyler/East Texas & Houston are more alike looks wise than Dallas which is more like Baja Oklahoma in comparison.

Palm trees look better with other taller trees than on a sparse prairie & low canopy of over grown bushes IMO. Also, the loamy black soil of North Texas is not ideal for palm trees. It lacks the nutrients they need to thrive. Sure its excellent to grow cotton! The palms planted here thrive in the sandy soils of East Texas much better than that black loamy soil & with the higher humidity than North Texas is right at home in their natural environment.

Dwarf Palmettos grow naturally in the piney woods around here. As I said previously a small pocket of them do exist in Southeastern Dallas County, but are more prevalent around here because of the sandy soil & moist air.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I'd say Tyler/East Texas & Houston are more alike looks wise than Dallas which is more like Baja Oklahoma in comparison.

Palm trees look better with other taller trees than on a sparse prairie & low canopy of over grown bushes IMO. Also, the loamy black soil of North Texas is not ideal for palm trees. It lacks the nutrients they need to thrive. Sure its excellent to grow cotton! The palms planted here thrive in the sandy soils of East Texas much better than that black loamy soil & with the higher humidity than North Texas is right at home in their natural environment.

Dwarf Palmettos grow naturally in the piney woods around here. As I said previously a small pocket of them do exist in Southeastern Dallas County, but are more prevalent around here because of the sandy soil & moist air.
That's your opinion, and I don't share it. I prefer the look of pines mixed with tall hardwoods and the like. I like the look of palms on flat coastal prairie and marshy terrain.

Obviously, I can't take issue with a dwarf palmetto popping up on its own, but a row of king palms down Lake Houston Parkway looks ridiculous, to me. So sorry you don't agree.

I'm not really sorry, but you get the picture.

...and I never said North Houston wasn't the Gulf Coast. I said it doesn't have the same coastal feel as southern Houston.

Last edited by Nairobi; 02-18-2012 at 06:06 PM..

Old 02-18-2012, 09:15 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,022,547 times
Quote:
Baja Oklahoma???? LMAO

Anyway if Houston and Tyler are closer to each other in Looks why so many people consider Tyler so pretty and the Dallasites (or should I say Baja Oklahomans) always try and say Houston looks ugly?

Old 02-18-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Baja Oklahoma???? LMAO

Anyway if Houston and Tyler are closer to each other in Looks why so many people consider Tyler so pretty and the Dallasites (or should I say Baja Oklahomans) always try and say Houston looks ugly?
Tyler has hills & Houston doesn't that's why. We also have more deciduous trees up in this part of East Texas Vs. Southeast Texas where is mainly pine trees. One thing we don't have is the Spanish Moss. I've always thought that was kinda cool how Houston has that & no where else in Texas does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas