Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 01:07 PM

15,275 posts, read 35,712,399 times

Advertisements

Newf, I am assuming you are a Newfoundlander? I knew a Newfie girl who got her nursing degree than came down to Texas to work. She worked in Corpus and then in Austin, and I don't think she ever ran into the problems you are describing. Not saying you aren't experiencing them, but where do you live? Seems like some pretty rude people. Personally, I think my Newfie friend pretty much impressed people with her 'cool' accent and her unbelievable ability to imbibe alcohol without falling over. It was somewhat frightining, really...she could drink any person I have every know under the table, then get up in the morning for a beer to 'dull the hangover'.

This was all pre-bush, so I hope things haven't fundementally changed that much, that would be sad . We used to go up into the boundary waters north of MN and go canoeing, and we ran into some of nicest 'Mounties' (is that how you would spell it?) that patrolled the lakes.

Edit: I went to look up the spelling of Newfoundland, and found this in Wikipedia:
Quote:
In the 1970s, the Government of Alberta added the term "Newfie" to a list of words not allowed to be used on personalised licence plates, reasoning that it was an ethnic slur and hateful. In 2006, a man from Newfoundland argued that also a source of pride, and fought to have the word removed from the list, and he eventually won.
Is that term considered derogatory? My friend always called herself a Newfie, so I never though twice about it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 01:31 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,945,096 times
I'd also have to say that her experiences are more the exception than the rule. I know several people from Canada and they are all SUPER friendly and great to visit with. None of them have ever mentioned anything about being received rudely by anyone here. I used to work w/ a lady from New Zealand (I know, different continent but the accent was still AWESOME to listen to) and she just had this infectious personality that everyone just gravitated to her.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:47 PM

11 posts, read 41,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf View Post
My husband is from Texas, I am Canadian, I've lived here since 1992 and I have always felt like an outsider. This maybe where I live, but it's not "home." I didn't realize just how much Americans dislike Canadians. I've been asked if I know what rush hour traffic is like, do we work in the winter , or what kind of house did I live in, in Canada. there were times I would come home from work in tears because someone made a rude remark about Canada , knowing that the comments were meant to hurt me, I tried hard to over look it. I have never felt like a second class citizen until I moved here. Now I know you will say, well, if you don't like it.......leave. My husband is happy here, he has family , friends and a good job. Over the years I have learned to hide being homesick. I've met a few nice Texans, but generally speaking, when they find out I am Canadian , people tend to dismiss me as if I wasn't born here, so talking to me isn't worth their time. I've reached a point where I would be better off saying I'm from any other state in the US ,instead of Canada. I try to blend , but it's not easy when you know you are not really welcomed here.
I'm sorry if people in Texas have made you feel that way. I was born and raised in Texas and I have no ill will towards Canadians whatsover and I know very few people who do. I have several friends who live in both Toronto and Edmonton and I see them no differently than other people I know- they're great people and I think Canada is a wonderful country. If you do meet someone with the kind of prejudice you've described, it's because they're ignorant or anything outside their little world. I apologize on their behalf.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:59 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,234,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyFaye View Post
I'm sorry if people in Texas have made you feel that way. I was born and raised in Texas and I have no ill will towards Canadians whatsover and I know very few people who do. I have several friends who live in both Toronto and Edmonton and I see them no differently than other people I know- they're great people and I think Canada is a wonderful country. If you do meet someone with the kind of prejudice you've described, it's because they're ignorant or anything outside their little world. I apologize on their behalf.
What a lovely, respecful post.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:29 PM

17 posts, read 93,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
i dont have a problem with yankees, as long as they dont act pushy, rude, impatient, aggressive, or drive like a bat out of hell when they get here. the only thing i must say, though i dont like the "new yorker" type accent, i just wish that those who move down here from new york, would at least try real hard to refrain from using "youse" and try to say "yall" or at least "you all"...and the other thing i cant stand is when they address a group which includes girls/women "hey guys" or "thanks guys"...i am NOT a guy. ugh.
BOY, I can't possibly imagine why Yankees feel *so* unwelcomed in Texas.

Just remember what New Yorkers (and all Northerners) think when they hear a bunch of twangy Texans referring to them as "y'all." Perhaps it's the Texas Superiority Complex...bigger is better....no wait, the "even though I've never lived anywhere else but Texas, it's still the best place on earth"...Sorry to break the news to you, but most people OUTSIDE of Texas think of true Texans in a most unsavory way.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:05 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,234,015 times
Well, when they read your post, I can see why. You truly are showing your true Texas ways.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:42 AM

4 posts, read 14,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdom4me View Post
I hear there are many northerners who have moved to Texas. I have lived here 28 years and only met a handful. It's not just "yankees" that feel a little home sick at times It's people from all over the USA. It's only natural that we miss the place where we were born and raised. I have developed a good life here in the Woodlands Texas, I have raised 4 kids and now own a restaurant, but in all these years I still feel like a fish out of water. When I go to the store and talk with my Brooklyn accent I still get stares comments.I have not met a Texan who "get"s a sienfeld sense of humor" they just look at you like you have two heads, and try and ask for a cannoli in the grocery store. Don't get me wrong, I have met a lot of great texans, I just miss the ya da ya da ya da...
i know what you mean i live in southwest houston but my brooklyn accent gets in the way sometimes i still kinda miss Brooklyn at times. So i enjoy talking to other New Yorkers.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:19 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,586,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynbiatch View Post
i know what you mean i live in southwest houston but my brooklyn accent gets in the way sometimes i still kinda miss Brooklyn at times. So i enjoy talking to other New Yorkers.
I can't imagine why any Houstonian would give a New Yorker a hard time. Houston is way too diverse and I've met way too many "Yankees" here in Houston and they love it. My mother is from Bedford-Stuyvesant and she can't get enough of this city. Maybe you just thought your Brooklyn accent was noticed. People from Houston are used to hearing all sorts of foreign accents everyday, so I find it hard to believe that they would even pay attention to something so American sounding as a New York dialect.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:45 AM

197 posts, read 262,416 times
If you go some place different, you have to expect a different culture! A lot of people from the North look at me crazy when I talk about kolaches. It's kind of hard to expect people to be aware of parts of a culture when they have not lived it. Where you come from is always a part of you. It's just that in the case of NY and TX, two very strong, proud cultures collide. I think that when people hear a "northern accent" one of the first places they think of is NY and when they think of a "southern accent" one of the first places they think of is TX. I guess that could mean trouble, or the feeling of being an outsider because the two cultures are so unique themselves.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:05 AM

20,526 posts, read 33,620,172 times
I just really wish this term "Yankee" go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas