Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 09:01 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,966,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post

Adults, well were wired differently than children are. My father in law, his speech is more stronger than my mother in laws but it is there. He loves his cahhrs. LOL that is for cars. I have gone to visit his family up north and they have a way more stronger dialect than my inlaws, so yes moving here it isn't as strong but I can still hear it. One thing my husband got razzed for in elementary school was saying rubish instead of trash. He learned quickly to say trash.
LOL!!! Children do pick it up fast, don't they?

I bet your FIL "Pahks his cahrs," too.....

I usually have to listen very closely to understand some of the different ones.....but it's interesting when a different one pops up!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 11:48 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,937,524 times
thanks Cath,

I didnt mean to say he was born in Texas but grew up in Texas, is what i think i said.

His mother, Bar, is a Yankee born too but their families always had a home in South Carolina where she spent her summers and where she went to Girls Prep school at Ashley Hall in my hometown of Charleston SC.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:50 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,937,524 times
I am not a "born" Texan but grew up there, went to jr and hs and graduated there, own property there since 1980 to this day and half of my family lives there and half of my heart.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:52 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,966,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
thanks Cath,

I didnt mean to say he was born in Texas but grew up in Texas, is what i think i said.

His mother, Bar, is a Yankee born too but their families always had a home in South Carolina where she spent her summers and where she went to Girls Prep school at Ashley Hall in my hometown of Charleston SC.
His mom was born in Rye,New York...and his dad in MA.

The elder Bushes keep a winter home in Houston, TX....and a summer home in Kennebunkport, ME....sounds like a plan to me!!! You don't get much worse than Houston in the summer, LOL!!

All of their roots are deep in the east coast, though they have called TX home for several years.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:05 PM

72 posts, read 413,223 times
I moved from to San Antonio from Massachusetts last ear and can totally relate! In San Antonio, I realy don't get a lot of strange looks at all when I talk and I DO have a Boston accent. Where is Woodlands? Is it near Dallas? Whenever I talk to someone fr om Dallas, I get a lot more strange looks than I do in San Antonio. In Dallas, people talk a lot slower and have more of a twang. In SA, there are all sorts of different accents, like the teaditional southern accent (with no twang), and Mexican accents. There's also a fair amount of transplants from the Midwest with NO accents. I do miss the attitude though.I was in a restaurant and our waitress was from RI. I told her where I was from and we started busting each other's shops about the other's state! My friends all though we were going to get kicked out but I explained that it's a regional thing. In the NE, people are more up-front. You can bust each other's b---s, and it's all in good fun. Southerens are more formal and don't understand that certain insults can be terms of endearment!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdom4me View Post
I hear there are many northerners who have moved to Texas. I have lived here 28 years and only met a handful. It's not just "yankees" that feel a little home sick at times It's people from all over the USA. It's only natural that we miss the place where we were born and raised. I have developed a good life here in the Woodlands Texas, I have raised 4 kids and now own a restaurant, but in all these years I still feel like a fish out of water. When I go to the store and talk with my Brooklyn accent I still get stares comments.I have not met a Texan who "get"s a sienfeld sense of humor" they just look at you like you have two heads, and try and ask for a cannoli in the grocery store. Don't get me wrong, I have met a lot of great texans, I just miss the ya da ya da ya da...

Old 02-14-2007, 02:22 PM

898 posts, read 2,572,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpotsie View Post
I moved from to San Antonio from Massachusetts last ear and can totally relate! In San Antonio, I realy don't get a lot of strange looks at all when I talk and I DO have a Boston accent. Where is Woodlands? Is it near Dallas? Whenever I talk to someone fr om Dallas, I get a lot more strange looks than I do in San Antonio. In Dallas, people talk a lot slower and have more of a twang. In SA, there are all sorts of different accents, like the teaditional southern accent (with no twang), and Mexican accents. There's also a fair amount of transplants from the Midwest with NO accents. I do miss the attitude though.I was in a restaurant and our waitress was from RI. I told her where I was from and we started busting each other's shops about the other's state! My friends all though we were going to get kicked out but I explained that it's a regional thing. In the NE, people are more up-front. You can bust each other's b---s, and it's all in good fun. Southerens are more formal and don't understand that certain insults can be terms of endearment!
The woodlands is north of houston. I agree that here in San Antonio and central texas people really have no accent, its mostly just generic suburban

Old 02-16-2007, 07:18 AM

74 posts, read 368,292 times
I'm in Amarillo, Tx. As a Texan who has lived all over, I can tell you that areas that have always had many newcomers DO tend to have helpful, friendly people. Now my sister lives in a teeny town in the Hill Country where virtually nobody is not from there - and it was YEARS before people really accepted her. The people didn't mean to be unfriendly-its just that they had no clue what it was like to be "new" and didn't bother to reach out to her. Here in Amarillo, most of the people I meet are not from here and they are so friendly BECAUSE they know what its like to be "new." Many of us laugh here that most of the friendliest ones in the city are NOT the oldtimers but the newcomers. They reach out because they are sensitive to what its like to be new to a community. Anyway, my take for what its worth. We found when we were up in the northwest that there were many Texans and they were welcomed openly also. I think it mostly depends on your attitude, ya know?

Old 02-16-2007, 07:21 AM

belle - Speaking of "driving like a bat out of hell," don't be shocked if you ever visit Amarillo. TX statetroopers say our city is the worst for rude drivers. I hate to admit there is some truth to that. I think its somewhat because our I-40 is a major east-west route for truckers (and drugs.) !!

Old 02-16-2007, 07:25 AM

Honie - You make a good point. When we moved back to Texas (until next year), I hastened to let my Texas family and friends know that many many many Texans also move to other places. When were were in Oregon, Washington, Colorado, we met many happy people who had been born and raised in Texas. When I grew up in Texas, we were sort of told that nobody leaves Texas. Uh, no way. My son is going to college in Montana and there are oodles of transplants from Texas who absolutely love it. People are just as wonderful there as Texas. Some people, remember, like to keep that "people up north are mean, everybody in the south is sweet" thing going.... Silly, isn't it?

Old 02-16-2007, 07:28 AM

I'll tell you I think the most melodious lovely southern accents are those from Georgia, MS, area. Here in Amarillo, most of us think we have no accent at all. We probably tend to "drawl" a bit but compared to the true southern accents, we don't seem to have much of one compared to where my sister lives in Cuero, Tx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas