Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 07:54 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,606,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah, whatever. No offense to you whatsoever and this is not meant to you at all. But I find the friendliness that is known with Texans to be completely overrated. It probably exists in areas with a population with less than 300,000. But that's about it. The whole southern hospitality thing is such a giant myth. Hope I didn't step on anyone's toes with that comment but oh well.
Lol, not quite. At only 100,000 people, Killeen is one of the rudest cities I've ever been to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 08:58 PM

15,217 posts, read 30,704,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdom4me View Post
I hear there are many northerners who have moved to Texas. I have lived here 28 years and only met a handful. It's not just "yankees" that feel a little home sick at times It's people from all over the USA. It's only natural that we miss the place where we were born and raised. I have developed a good life here in the Woodlands Texas, I have raised 4 kids and now own a restaurant, but in all these years I still feel like a fish out of water. When I go to the store and talk with my Brooklyn accent I still get stares comments.I have not met a Texan who "get"s a sienfeld sense of humor" they just look at you like you have two heads, and try and ask for a cannoli in the grocery store. Don't get me wrong, I have met a lot of great texans, I just miss the ya da ya da ya da...
You could try moving to the Inner Loop of Houston if possible - to hear this from The Woodlands is even surprising because I generally think of that area as transient central, e.g. loads of Midwesterners and people from elsewhere that gets snow in the winter.

In the heart of Houston, it's becoming more and more uncommon to hear what you would traditionally think of as a "Texas" accent - but sometimes it can be frustrating.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:33 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,429,729 times
aint been to Killeen, but have been considering the rural outlying towns outside of Killeen, but i am guessing that i bet you may be right about that, it being a transient military town. i just moved back last year from a three year tour in Ft Stewart GA which is located in the town of Hinesville GA, and the people were so rude there. i would complain about it, and the few native Georgians who i worked with there, told me to PLEASE not rate Georgia and its friendliest or lack thereof, based on Hinesville. it's just a military town thing-you get people from all walks of life and all parts of the country.....so military towns are usually never a stereotype of the state that they are in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Lol, not quite. At only 100,000 people, Killeen is one of the rudest cities I've ever been to.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:34 AM

20,552 posts, read 33,763,332 times
^^ That is true.But regardless, that does make Killeen the exception with it being under 300,000 thousand and all. Oh and Waco is pretty rude as well.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:08 PM

332 posts, read 452,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
^^ That is true.But regardless, that does make Killeen the exception with it being under 300,000 thousand and all. Oh and Waco is pretty rude as well.
Yeah Waco is a pretty rude city,but their are "WAYYYYYYYY" more polite people than rude people in Waco.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:55 AM

415 posts, read 1,723,688 times
I wonder if some of the transplants to Texas feel unwelcomed because their normal mannerisms are considered rude to Southerners.

*Note: I'm not from Texas OR Wisconsin.

When I moved from Dallas to Milwaukee, I could not get over how rude everyone was. I was baffled by how an entire city could be so rude. I even remember commenting to a friend (back in Dallas) that the only nice people up here were black. Every time I'd visit before I moved, people would stare at me. Throw in winter and I was miserable here.

What I've come to realize is that people are just as nice and compassionate and all that as they are in Dallas, but they have different mannerisms and ways of speaking. I believe locals consider it 'being direct', but it's very offensive to me.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people the posters are interacting with are a bit taken aback and freeze them out because of the different social customs. It's amazing the conclusions people draw about others based on the way they talk (read That's Not What I Meant by Deborah Tannen).

Old 08-02-2007, 10:05 AM

791 posts, read 2,230,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdom4me View Post
...When I go to the store and talk with my Brooklyn accent I still get stares comments.I have not met a Texan who "get"s a sienfeld sense of humor" they just look at you like you have two heads, and try and ask for a cannoli in the grocery store. Don't get me wrong, I have met a lot of great texans, I just miss the ya da ya da ya da...
My grandparents moved across Texas in a covered wagon, east to west, then back east. My parents were born in the country side. I can show you the fence post that marks the approximate location my mother was born, about ten miles from anywhere, not far from Personville.

My siblings, cousins and I are first generation born in 'the city', mostly San Antonio. This just goes to say, although I've struggled to clean it up, I still get reactions over my Texas accent, right here in Texas.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:57 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,268,480 times
I'm a transplant to the state of Texas and in my 5 years here I have never felt less than welcomed here. I guess its whatever you make of it. If you are not happy to be here, you'll pick every single negative out there and exploit it; likewise for the positives.

Moving anywhere though, you got to acknowledge every place is different, and it is you that has to adjust.. not the place or the people.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:04 PM

15,217 posts, read 30,704,783 times
Another thing you might consider is treating everyone with respect and you will more than likely receive it in kind.

Patronize and look down upon people and you will get treated for what you are - a jerk.

You've got a lot of control over how you're treated in Texas.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:48 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,689,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Another thing you might consider is treating everyone with respect and you will more than likely receive it in kind.

Patronize and look down upon people and you will get treated for what you are - a jerk.

You've got a lot of control over how you're treated in Texas.
This is absolutely true!

Personally, I think one of the biggest "gaffes" transplanted "yankees" commit is, after moving down and finding out the culture IS very different, to start finding fault and telling natives how much different (using negative comparrisons) it was up north. Texans don't care and resent it.

As they (we) see it, if it was so much better there, then why move down here? It is considered very rude behavior and just because the Texan being addressed might not reply angrily back, don't take the silence or tight smile you get in return as agreement. There is another old saying good to keep in mind: "A Southerner will be polite until they are mad enough to kill you."

Naturally, that is not really literally true, but it DOES contain a certain humorous element of truth put in the form of extreme exaggeration. LOL Anyway, the main point being that what might be considered admirable frankness in the North might be taken as tacky rudeness down here.

If one comes to Texas with the attitude that you will want to fit in and "do as the natives do," (or at least accept how they do it! LOL) then you will find no friendlier, neighborly, and hospitable folks in the United States. I have talked to many northerners who frankly say that, once they got used to the "culture shock" (some of it being that strangers will speak to you for no other reason than to just be friendly) they would never again live anywhere else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas