Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 07:39 AM

74 posts, read 368,318 times

Advertisements

pioneer - what a nice post. I so agree with you. I feel so blessed to have lived in other states because I realize its not just one state that is great, its AMERICA that is truly wonderful. Every state has its drawbacks and stuff to deal with and every state has something awesome that nobody else can come close to. I always wince when sometimes people I work with who have "visited" other places but never lived anywhere else make these sweeping statements about "NY people" as if they know what they are talking about. Some of the finest people I've ever known are from New York state. Just remember those world class firemen on 9/11 --
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 07:26 PM

48 posts, read 192,907 times
I am from the NE and definitely agree that the people are not nearly as hospitable as people in the south. I disagree completely that Seinfeld, not Steinfeld is remotely racist. The racist outburst of one actor...very narrow thinking. Seinfeld was a cult show for me growing up in Philadelphia and I am so happy to have a part of my life that my colleagues and friends could all relate to openly.

I agree with a previous post that one should embrace where they choose to live. I try not to make it a habit though of criticizing cities or people I don't think I can relate with socially. I can be critical and admit that...but I try not to stereotype.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:28 PM

48 posts, read 192,907 times
Well said. Nice job. I could not agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriana View Post
pioneer - what a nice post. I so agree with you. I feel so blessed to have lived in other states because I realize its not just one state that is great, its AMERICA that is truly wonderful. Every state has its drawbacks and stuff to deal with and every state has something awesome that nobody else can come close to. I always wince when sometimes people I work with who have "visited" other places but never lived anywhere else make these sweeping statements about "NY people" as if they know what they are talking about. Some of the finest people I've ever known are from New York state. Just remember those world class firemen on 9/11 --

Old 02-19-2007, 09:23 PM

18 posts, read 97,077 times
My husband is from Texas, I am Canadian, I've lived here since 1992 and I have always felt like an outsider. This maybe where I live, but it's not "home." I didn't realize just how much Americans dislike Canadians. I've been asked if I know what rush hour traffic is like, do we work in the winter , or what kind of house did I live in, in Canada. there were times I would come home from work in tears because someone made a rude remark about Canada , knowing that the comments were meant to hurt me, I tried hard to over look it. I have never felt like a second class citizen until I moved here. Now I know you will say, well, if you don't like it.......leave. My husband is happy here, he has family , friends and a good job. Over the years I have learned to hide being homesick. I've met a few nice Texans, but generally speaking, when they find out I am Canadian , people tend to dismiss me as if I wasn't born here, so talking to me isn't worth their time. I've reached a point where I would be better off saying I'm from any other state in the US ,instead of Canada. I try to blend , but it's not easy when you know you are not really welcomed here.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:55 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,023,243 times
Quote:
I didn't realize just how much Americans dislike Canadians. I've been asked if I know what rush hour traffic is like, do we work in the winter , or what kind of house did I live in, in Canada.

Are you saying that these questions mean Texans don't like you? Most Texans are probably as ignorant about Canada as most of the US, and Canada, is about Texas.But that ignorance and the off the wall questions doesn't necessarily translate into dislike.People who think that in Texas we still ride horses and wear guns aren't necessarily expressing dislike, just ignorance of Texas.The same may be true in your situation. Perhaps you are being a little oversensitive.

Having said that, after the war in Iraq, many Texans view Canada the same way they view France (remember freedom fries?). Texas is a very conservative state that tends to support GWB wholeheartedly, at least regarding Iraq, and often views any disagreement with him as treason. Canada, along with many European countries, has often opposed GWB, and made snide comments about him. So I can see where you might be getting some residual effect from the general feeling among many Texans that Canada isn't really a true friend of America anymore. And I don't know what the cure for a Canadian experiencing that is, unfortunately.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:21 PM

30 posts, read 182,354 times
Default Just write them off....

Newf,

Just write them off.....what, we're all supposed to stay wherever we're born?

That's silly. Folks who don't want you just don't know you.. often plain IGNORANCE. I'm as conservative as they come. It's just bitterness, discontent with their own life/situation that leads so many to think that NO ONE SHOULD COME TO THEIR PLACE.

Can you think of anything more stupid?! If the native talent pool were large enough, why, they'd never need imports. (smug wink)

We need talent, advanced skill. If we can't find it in native folk, why, I guess we'll get it somewhere! (I'm so sick of this native/v.non-native rant) They're always the losers/n'er do wells.

Take heart, Americans are just fine w/Canadians! Don't be misled by knuckle-dragging mouth breathing, quit comin'tomah-state-cuzIhaveno-edja-kay-shun! (and only one vowel) losers. (I meant to mis-spell all that. :P)

U.S.A. and Texas welcome YOU.

Last edited by LeeLee82; 02-19-2007 at 10:33 PM..

Old 02-20-2007, 06:34 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,023,243 times
Quote:
It's just bitterness, discontent with their own life/situation that leads so many to think that NO ONE SHOULD COME TO THEIR PLACE.

Can you think of anything more stupid?! If the native talent pool were large enough, why, they'd never need imports. (smug wink)

While I am against the treatment newf is receiving, this just isn't true. It makes a nice rant against them, but has no basis in fact. People often oppose newcomers for the exact opposite reason. They are content with their situation, and fear any change that might upset it. As is easily documented if one will look at the rise in real estate prices in many areas of Texas over the past 10 years, many locals are being priced out of their homes, or can't afford today, in terms of quality,neighborhood,and sq footage, what they could afford 5 years ago when looking to buy a home. Both are happening to me. My home value is rising so fast that I won't be able to live in it in 15 years, due to the high taxes, unless I win the lottery,and I couldn't even think of building the same home I live in today for what it would cost me. Take a thought of the thousands and thousands of ordinary Texans who have lived in their homes for 20-30 years, who now are facing the difficulty of a fast rising property tax that seems to have no end, before labeling them all mouth breathers with no education.My neighbor down the street is a highly educated man who retired as a banker before building the home he currently lives in as a retirement home.He is now looking at moving into an assisted care type arrangement because he is smart enough to realize he won't be able to pay his taxes in 10 years on his retirement money. I don't think he qualifies as an uneducated mouth breather either.Just a poor sap caught up in a real estate boom fueled by a mass influx from out of state.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:29 AM

1,067 posts, read 5,674,470 times
Quote:
Kinda of shocking to read this! Smug wink? We have a huge talent pool and we put out many fine young people who are native to the area in our universities. There is Rice, SMU, UT, and yes ATM to name a few. There are many bright and well known people who come from Texas as well. Yes there are more people coming to Texas than ever but it deals more with the fact they want to get out of where they are living and want to come to a newer, nicer area to live. They are escaping something it seems. My own town I believe has more people from California than actual Texans. The area I live in has always been a white collar area as well and yes it will attract people who are professional around the US to want to come for opportunity. I don't hate that at all but I do think it is important to understand that just because there are people coming from out of state, the reasoning is that we lack a great talent pool, well I find that reasoning to be false. That is really a cheap shot if you ask me. For most who you will talk to who have made the move, it is very hard to get here too. We were lucky because my husband's company did relo us back to the area but many companies don't. There is such a strong market here with professionals that they don't have to look out of state. So for many if they move here for a job they usually have to pay to get here. That is how badly people want to move here and too, with housing being a premium everywhere else, if they sell their home, they usually can pay to get here without any qualms.

As for Newt. I don't know where you live to understand what you are experiencing. I choose to live in the city because it is going to be more progressive and more accepting of newcomers. As I wrote before, we have more californians here and many people who aren't native to my area, I don't see a prejudice against anyone from out of state or out of country. Infact I think many love to talk to people who aren't US citizens.

Someone once wrote here that just because it is in Texas doesn't mean that it is fit to live in but it doesn't in anyway deminishes that fact they still love this state and that there are some really fabulous places to live filled with great people. I can't remember the exact quote but I do agree with this.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:54 AM

18 posts, read 97,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
Are you saying that these questions mean Texans don't like you? Most Texans are probably as ignorant about Canada as most of the US, and Canada, is about Texas.But that ignorance and the off the wall questions doesn't necessarily translate into dislike.People who think that in Texas we still ride horses and wear guns aren't necessarily expressing dislike, just ignorance of Texas.The same may be true in your situation. Perhaps you are being a little oversensitive.

Having said that, after the war in Iraq, many Texans view Canada the same way they view France (remember freedom fries?). Texas is a very conservative state that tends to support GWB wholeheartedly, at least regarding Iraq, and often views any disagreement with him as treason. Canada, along with many European countries, has often opposed GWB, and made snide comments about him. So I can see where you might be getting some residual effect from the general feeling among many Texans that Canada isn't really a true friend of America anymore. And I don't know what the cure for a Canadian experiencing that is, unfortunately.
Canadians are taught about the US in school, so we have a better idea of what the USA is and is not. The questions didn't bother me, it was the smug way they asked them. I think it is wonderful to be so patriotic about the country you are born in, but that doesn't mean that people from other countries should be made to feel inferior. As far as Canadians not agreeing with the war, everyone has the right to their opinion, we are a neutral country and Bush pitched a hissy fit whenever someone didn't let him have his way. Texas maybe GWB country , but he is a very arrogant man.
My husband and I have agreed to disagree when it comes to government . I was talking about how different life is for someone that's not from here .

Old 02-26-2007, 05:18 AM

363 posts, read 2,026,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf View Post
My husband is from Texas, I am Canadian, I've lived here since 1992 and I have always felt like an outsider. This maybe where I live, but it's not "home." I didn't realize just how much Americans dislike Canadians. I've been asked if I know what rush hour traffic is like, do we work in the winter , or what kind of house did I live in, in Canada. there were times I would come home from work in tears because someone made a rude remark about Canada , knowing that the comments were meant to hurt me, I tried hard to over look it. I have never felt like a second class citizen until I moved here. Now I know you will say, well, if you don't like it.......leave. My husband is happy here, he has family , friends and a good job. Over the years I have learned to hide being homesick. I've met a few nice Texans, but generally speaking, when they find out I am Canadian , people tend to dismiss me as if I wasn't born here, so talking to me isn't worth their time. I've reached a point where I would be better off saying I'm from any other state in the US ,instead of Canada. I try to blend , but it's not easy when you know you are not really welcomed here.
I sympathize and in a way, I empathize. Some people are ignorant for sure. I do hope you will not make the same mistake as those who have hurt you. You say, "I didn't realize just how much Americans didn't like Canadians." Please do not lump a group together like that. I am American and I like Canadians just as much as I like anyone else. That goes for Texans too. I transplanted here from Florida a year and a half ago and all I have seen is much of the same... kind people and not so. It must be very difficult to come to a new country. You are brave. I admire you. If I met you, you would be worth my time. As a matter of fact, I'd love to learn about your home. I guess what I am hoping that you might take from this is... everyone is different. Texans aren't all the same. Americans aren't all the same. Canadians aren't all the same.... There are good and bad people everywhere. For what it's worth... not all people living in Texas agree with our current president. I've been pleasantly suprised time and again. Good luck with everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas