Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 02:54 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,407,953 times

Advertisements

Alright, as a native Texan who has moved all over the country (east after college, back west, and now back east again) and someone who has a lot of relatives and friends still in Texas, I can say that Texas people are some of the most friendly people in the world, but they also seem to have a chip on their shoulder sometimes. I think part of the reason is that, compared to other states, so many people in Texas seem to have never left and most seem to never want to leave. Now, some will hold this up as a positive but it can also be seen as sheltering and rather isolating. Basically how Americans get criticized overseas for being Amero-centric (rightly so sometimes), people in Texas are the ultimate expression of that attitude. I think this leads to some in Texas who really can't take any criticism of anything having to do with Texas, even when those criticisms are done rationally and without malice. I like Texas a lot but the state also has a lot of problems (like all places) and I think some people in Texas take any criticism of the state or its culture very personally which is unfortunate.

That being said, I think most people in Texas are very friendly and open. It is a nice place to live and the cities are getting a lot better; my biggest complaint about Texas is the urban design of the cities but thankfully that is slowly changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 11:12 AM

690 posts, read 2,631,279 times
What an interesting thread.

As a native Texan, I will be the first to admit that most of us are raised to be fiercely proud of our state. We are taught that Texas is special and we should be proud to live here. Personally, I was never taught that Texas was better - but was raised to be proud of it, definitely. I find myself nodding and laughing at the comments regarding Texans taking offense to anything negative said about their state - it's true, I'm sure.

I find that the people here are extremely friendly and welcoming. Living in Houston, I come in contact with people of every race and walk of life on a regular basis, and I love meeting and interacting with people that aren't originally from here. I learn from it, and would hope that everyone else given the same opportunity would, as well. I have traveled quite a bit and have found rude people all over the place, but just as nice people, as well. You have to be understanding, willing to listen, and able to laugh and find common ground about your cultural differences. Part of what makes the world great.

As for "ignorant questions" being asked of folks from other parts of our great country, it's happened to me, too, but since I knew that the people asking the questions generally meant well, I was able to answer and laugh. Things like:
"So, how many horses do you own?"
"Do you have a ranch?"
"Do you know any cowboys?"
"How far do you have to drive to get groceries?"
"Do most people go to school there - and actually graduate?"

All questions I have been asked, by people with straight faces, from Wisconsin to Florida.

Texas is different, just like California is different, New Jersey is different, Alabama is different. It's what you make of it. I love living here and would hope that the people here are representative of what we are supposed to be - friendly, welcoming, helpful. If you come across a Texan that's rude or unfriendly, just look them straight in the eye, say, "Well, bless your heart!", and walk off.

In that case, you've just insulted the hell out of them, in the nicest way possible. LOL!

Old 09-14-2007, 12:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,248 times
Default New Yorker in Texas

First let me say that the reason why as a New Yorker I feel like I don't fit in, isn't because of me, it's because I can't get used to the fact that growing up in NY we were surrounded by all different types of people from all different ethnic and religious backgrounds, we learned about them, got to know them most of us can even tell what nationality a person is by there last name. We know what an Irish name is an Italian name Jewish name etc., which is something most Texans have no clue of. Maybe it's because most New Yorkers are worldly and feel like a lot of texans are not, which only makes it harder to have things in common. Maybe Texas should step out once in a while and get to know the rest of the universe and not just Texas! Maybe if we (New Yorkers & Californians) stay here long enough we can teach you something other then TEXAS HISTORY. And by the way YANKEE IS SO OLD FASHIONED!!! I mean before moving here the last place I read or heard that (I was called one in a negative way for no good reason, just because of where I come from) was in my history book 30 some odd years ago, THIS IS 2007, please!!! Lets be nice

Old 09-14-2007, 09:18 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,890,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnG View Post
First let me say that the reason why as a New Yorker I feel like I don't fit in, isn't because of me, it's because I can't get used to the fact that growing up in NY we were surrounded by all different types of people from all different ethnic and religious backgrounds, we learned about them, got to know them most of us can even tell what nationality a person is by there last name. We know what an Irish name is an Italian name Jewish name etc., which is something most Texans have no clue of. Maybe it's because most New Yorkers are worldly and feel like a lot of texans are not, which only makes it harder to have things in common. Maybe Texas should step out once in a while and get to know the rest of the universe and not just Texas! Maybe if we (New Yorkers & Californians) stay here long enough we can teach you something other then TEXAS HISTORY. And by the way YANKEE IS SO OLD FASHIONED!!! I mean before moving here the last place I read or heard that (I was called one in a negative way for no good reason, just because of where I come from) was in my history book 30 some odd years ago, THIS IS 2007, please!!! Lets be nice
Your post just speaks volumes.

Whether someone from Texas (or any other place) chooses to get out and see the rest of the world is up to THEM..not you.....if New Yorkers and Californians who move to Texas have YOUR attitude, it's no wonder that they feel unwelcome in Texas.

I have news for you....it IS because of you if you don't feel welcome. Your smug, condescending and superior attitude just says it all. Before you start telling others they should be nice, try doing that yourself.

By the way....it's THEIR last name....LOL!!!

Old 09-14-2007, 09:33 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,289,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Your post just speaks volumes.

Whether someone from Texas (or any other place) chooses to get out and see the rest of the world is up to THEM..not you.....if New Yorkers and Californians who move to Texas have YOUR attitude, it's no wonder that they feel unwelcome in Texas.

I have news for you....it IS because of you if you don't feel welcome. Your smug, condescending and superior attitude just says it all. Before you start telling others they should be nice, try doing that yourself.

By the way....it's THEIR last name....LOL!!!
Good post, Cathy!

JoAnnG, that's great that there are so many different kinds of people in NY and that you appreciate that. That's a wonderful thing and I mean it. But so? Is that a reason to trash TX? Texas has a whole different history, heritage, etc. Maybe if you could find some things to appreciate about TX you might be happier here.

I don't know what you mean by the term "yankee" being old-fashioned. Maybe in NY it is but in the South it's pretty much up-to-the-minute!

But if you are friendly and not smug or arrogant but try to get to know some of what makes Texas "Texas", then you won't have much of a problem with us.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:55 AM

690 posts, read 2,631,279 times
Quote:
We know what an Irish name is an Italian name Jewish name etc., which is something most Texans have no clue of.
More likely, we are well aware of it, but don't care, because it makes absolutely no difference to us.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:08 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,289,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJones View Post
More likely, we are well aware of it, but don't care, because it makes absolutely no difference to us.
LOL!! This just tickled me!

Old 09-14-2007, 11:27 AM

415 posts, read 1,719,475 times
Quote:
Ah, but you can't be diverse if people don't point out differences.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:46 PM

30 posts, read 135,152 times
I'm from the NE and have lived in TX over 5 years. I came for the same reason most of us carpet baggers did - our NE dollars went a whole lot further down here. We're not devoutly religious but we absolutely do not criticize anyone's religious practice. It was odd to be asked what church we had joined by all the Texans that we met our first year, but we were always polite.

I live in an affluent neighborhood which is mixed with locals and out of staters. I can tell you that all the deeper friendships we've made over our time in TX have been with transplants, children of transplants or native born Texans married to transplants. Also, none of our friends has succeeded in making deep connections with Texans either. I'll add, not for lack of trying - it seems the Texans just weren't all that interested.

I have children in the local public schools. There are some things that are different, some quirky and amusing, others less so. If you move down here, you have to know that the NE and West Coast interpretations of keeping religion out of public schools is VERY different than it is here in TX. Having friends of all backgrounds and faiths, it is something that they find disturbing.

Now for more odd stuff. In most TX public schools that I know of, the pledge of allegiance to the flag of the Republic of Texas follows the pledge to US flag. Now, I expect someone is going to correct me in short order with some exceptions (probably in Austin), but I've yet to hear of any.

The hardest one for me is history. The local school system, a very strong one in a state known for its abyssmal performance educating kids, teaches Texas history, exclusively, until middle school. My eight year old can sing Texas state songs, knows about Sam Houston, Texas as an independent republic, and the Alamo, but has been taught nothing about Ben Franklin, George Washington, or a host of other things I always considered basic (we've worked to correct that outside of school).

Texans as a group take great pride in all things Texas, but for many it's at the expense of ignoring all things not Texas. It's odd to read about a local HS valedictorian going to an ivy league school or MIT or similar school - it's UT or A&M.

What's hard for me is that it seems like many would prefer not to have to deal with the global world that we live in today. I get that - I'd rather not compete with an Indian or Argentinian financial analyst making a sixth of his American counterpart either. However, when that mindset is institutionalized, and it's occurring in one of the most populous states in the nation, that's my business. Many Texans would prefer it to remain the island that it was. But it can't be.

So, I don't fit. Texas is just another place. It may have been a world unto itself a century ago. To borrow some local color - that dog don't hunt no more. Flexibility and curiosity rather than deny the 21st century would do everyone around here some good.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:17 PM

165 posts, read 564,539 times
Default Beautiful!

Quote:
What an interesting thread.

As a native Texan, I will be the first to admit that most of us are raised to be fiercely proud of our state. We are taught that Texas is special and we should be proud to live here. Personally, I was never taught that Texas was better - but was raised to be proud of it, definitely. I find myself nodding and laughing at the comments regarding Texans taking offense to anything negative said about their state - it's true, I'm sure.

I find that the people here are extremely friendly and welcoming. Living in Houston, I come in contact with people of every race and walk of life on a regular basis, and I love meeting and interacting with people that aren't originally from here. I learn from it, and would hope that everyone else given the same opportunity would, as well. I have traveled quite a bit and have found rude people all over the place, but just as nice people, as well. You have to be understanding, willing to listen, and able to laugh and find common ground about your cultural differences. Part of what makes the world great.

As for "ignorant questions" being asked of folks from other parts of our great country, it's happened to me, too, but since I knew that the people asking the questions generally meant well, I was able to answer and laugh. Things like:
"So, how many horses do you own?"
"Do you have a ranch?"
"Do you know any cowboys?"
"How far do you have to drive to get groceries?"
"Do most people go to school there - and actually graduate?"

All questions I have been asked, by people with straight faces, from Wisconsin to Florida.

Texas is different, just like California is different, New Jersey is different, Alabama is different. It's what you make of it. I love living here and would hope that the people here are representative of what we are supposed to be - friendly, welcoming, helpful. If you come across a Texan that's rude or unfriendly, just look them straight in the eye, say, "Well, bless your heart!", and walk off.

In that case, you've just insulted the hell out of them, in the nicest way possible. LOL!
That was lovely MsJones coming from a native (born and bred). I live in the NE but still have Texas plates on my car and you are so right about the stereotypes. It boggles the mind. When I lived back home I remember people from NJ and NY who talked down about Texas but after living up here I can see why they don't understand it. Texas really is like a whole other country.
Boy do I miss it!
C
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas