Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2023, 09:55 AM

141 posts, read 45,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
All of this babble, and you STILL haven't proven anything

Show me PROOF that NPM is a bigger draw than Houston's Galleria.

Show me PROOF that ANY shopping district in DFW is blowing Houston's shopping districts out of the water, despite the latter having less exclusive stores. Because from what I'm able to find, the Galleria is a bigger draw per year than EVERY shopping district in DFW COMBINED.

Sure...the copy and paste method works just fine. ROD copied HPV and made it better, with even more potential on the way. It's the same way AT&T Stadium (son) copied NRG (Big Daddy) and made it better. That goes both ways

Your issue is that you tend to think that MORE is BETTER (although you claim not to)...and we both know that isn't the truth, lol. Take DART for instance...far more expansive than Houston's MetroRail, yet hardly ANYONE utilizes it...while Houston's system, while much smaller, gets much better utilization...and our bus system is doing even better.

You keep grasping at straws, and I'm not sure why. This is a subject that the vast majority of people couldn't care less about (as most people don't have the funds to shop at these luxurious places), yet you're the type who likes having it just to have it, although you'll never shop there personally. I guess I'm built differently...I'll likely never visit ROD barring some unforseen event, as I have no interest in what's being sold there. Maybe my wife will want to go someday...who knows?
"Get packed Melba!"
"What for Jeb?"
"Houston has world famous bus service!" Said Jeb dancing about the kitchen. "And they just expanded another freeway loop around the city"
"Yee haw! Cried Melba as she started stuffing her kids in suitcases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2023, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Yeah...I totally agree.........About the GENERIC aesthetically designed R.O.D https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7411...!1e3?entry=ttu.........For it to be a "LUXURY" Shopping District it's very uninspiring and drab.......Dallas' "West Village" Shopping district looks more Posh-LUXURY than R.O.D......It's Just not memorable "Post-Card" ready.

West Village | Uptown Dallas
https://youtu.be/m7N8Vabpu28

"Highland Park Village" is Un-Matched in Texas.......Any way you slice it.
I can see the real downtown that being Uptown Dallas rising up soon to overtake them all! No one messes with Ms. Carolyn Rose Hunt and her masterpiece The Crescent! And that area just keeps growing getting thicker and thicker and thicker!
No other urban area in the south can compare to the place where Harwood meets up with the Crescent! Don't even try! Step off!!

Old 05-26-2023, 10:29 AM

869 posts, read 319,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romping Willy Billy View Post
"Get packed Melba!"
"What for Jeb?"
"Houston has world famous bus service!" Said Jeb dancing about the kitchen. "And they just expanded another freeway loop around the city"
"Yee haw! Cried Melba as she started stuffing her kids in suitcases.

"Get packed Wilma!"

"Why Fred??"

"Dallas has Texas' best rail system", yelled Fred as he fumbled around for his DART card, "And since NO ONE ELSE rides it, we'll have the darn thang all to ourselves! Isn't that romantic??"

"Well YABBA-DABBA-DOO FRED!! Let's get Betty and Barney to come along too!! That'll boost the ridership up to FOUR people!", Cried Wilma as she and Fred pedaled their way to one of Dallas' many isolated and sketchy DART stations.

Last edited by spacecitytx; 05-26-2023 at 10:51 AM..

Old 05-26-2023, 11:02 AM

Quote:
"Get packed Wilma!"

"Why Fred??"

"Dallas has Texas' best rail system", yelled Fred as he fumbled around for his DART card, "And since NO ONE ELSE rides it, we'll have the darn thang all to ourselves! Isn't that romantic??"

"Well YABBA-DABBA-DOO FRED!! Let's get Betty and Barney to come along too!! That'll boost the ridership up to FOUR people!", Cried Wilma as she and Fred pedaled their way to one of Dallas' many isolated and sketchy DART stations.
What isn't being factored into the DART system is how they can expand the system and increase ridership without additional laying down of rail by the addition of stations instead. For example, that warehouse area in Garland can be redeveloped in the future into apartments. As it is redeveloped,, they can add stations to it.
We must endeavor to keep the topic focused on Luxury retail however.

Old 05-26-2023, 11:30 AM

The North Texas market isn't different from the Houston market because it wants to be, but because it has to be. For example, consider the markets that feed into the suburb of Rockwall? There is about a million people living along I-20 between Shreveport LA. and Rockwall. There is another million living along I-30 between Little Rock Arkansas and Mesquite. Rockwall is fast becoming an affluent community. What has to be worrisome for HPV and Northpark Center is the building of a small luxury shopping center somewhere in that vicinity which will steal their business.
I-20 fifty years ago before the by-pass got built would back up because of traffic leading into Dallas. Consider that area today around Town East Mall where highway 80 and I-30 come together.
Check out a map.
I think this area will get its own luxury retail in the not so distant future.
I'm thinking this is why HPV has to be more competively priced than ROD in Houston.

Old 05-26-2023, 12:01 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,455,827 times
Quote:
spacecitytx;65334664]All of this babble, and you STILL haven't proven anything

Show me PROOF that NPM is a bigger draw than Houston's Galleria.

Show me PROOF that ANY shopping district in DFW is blowing Houston's shopping districts out of the water,despite the latter having less exclusive stores. Because from what I'm able to find, the Galleria is a bigger draw per year than EVERY shopping district in DFW COMBINED.

Sure...the copy and paste method works just fine. ROD copied HPV and made it better, with even more potential on the way. It's the same way AT&T Stadium (son) copied NRG (Big Daddy) and made it better. That goes both ways

Your issue is that you tend to think that MORE is BETTER (although you claim not to)...and we both know that isn't the truth, lol. Take DART for instance...far more expansive than Houston's MetroRail, yet hardly ANYONE utilizes it...while Houston's system, while much smaller, gets much better utilization...and our bus system is doing even better.

You keep grasping at straws, and I'm not sure why. This is a subject that the vast majority of people couldn't care less about (as most people don't have the funds to shop at these luxurious places), yet you're the type who likes having it just to have it, although you'll never shop there personally. I guess I'm built differently...I'll likely never visit ROD barring some unforseen event, as I have no interest in what's being sold there. Maybe my wife will want to go someday...who knows? [/QUOTE]
......Are you reading the same thread??

Show you PROOF?!.........You answered your own question sir...In your very next sentence.....Except you left out the part about it having LESS STORES PERIOD!!!....Less VARIETY spells "2nd Best"....... How can you say ALL combined and NP is #1 https://imp.world/explore/shopping-i...econd-thought/

Did you say grasping at straws and you compared NFL stadiums in a shopping thread battle that you have no chance to win?!
NRG Stadium......Was never.....Is Never.......WILL NEVER be Daddy to AT&T Stadium.

All of the pouting at the end about DART and your shopping habits Bla Bla Bla means nothing for your argument because this is a thread about.......(Drum-roll).....LUXURY SHOPPING IN TEXAS......Your whining is not convincing..... All this says is your feelings are hurt......Face it....own it...embrace it...

Last edited by dallasboi; 05-26-2023 at 12:35 PM..

Old 05-26-2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
What isn't being factored into the DART system is how they can expand the system and increase ridership without additional laying down of rail by the addition of stations instead. For example, that warehouse area in Garland can be redeveloped in the future into apartments. As it is redeveloped,, they can add stations to it.
We must endeavor to keep the topic focused on Luxury retail however.

Lol...you're the one who went off topic with the whole Beverly Hillbillies thing.

I had only mentioned the transportation aspects in reply to dallasboi's "copy-cat" response. You took it to a whole other level.

Anyway, I'm done with it.

Old 05-26-2023, 12:09 PM

Quote:
The North Texas market isn't different from the Houston market because it wants to be, but because it has to be. For example, consider the markets that feed into the suburb of Rockwall? There is about a million people living along I-20 between Shreveport LA. and Rockwall. There is another million living along I-30 between Little Rock Arkansas and Mesquite. Rockwall is fast becoming an affluent community. What has to be worrisome for HPV and Northpark Center is the building of a small luxury shopping center somewhere in that vicinity which will steal their business.
I-20 fifty years ago before the by-pass got built would back up because of traffic leading into Dallas. Consider that area today around Town East Mall where highway 80 and I-30 come together.
Check out a map.
I think this area will get its own luxury retail in the not so distant future.
I'm thinking this is why HPV has to be more competively priced than ROD in Houston.

I'm not disputing any of this. I frankly don't care which metro area has the most luxurious shopping, as I don't care to buy any of that stuff. My responses are SOLEY in reply to the Dallas Booster sentiment about why their area is "better" than mine...which is absolutely ridiculous. I can GUARANTEE that if a survey was conducted on who actually gives a crap about luxury stores, 99% of the population would say that they don't own even one stitch of that clothing.

Old 05-26-2023, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
......Are you reading the same thread??

Show you PROOF?!.........You answered your own question sir...In your very next sentence.....Except you left out the part about it having LESS STORES PERIOD!!!....Less VARIETY spells "2nd Best"....... How can you say ALL combined and NP is #1 https://imp.world/explore/shopping-i...econd-thought/

Did you say grasping at straws and you compared NFL stadiums in a shopping thread battle that you have no chance to win???!!!
NRG Stadium......Was never.....Is Never.......WILL NEVER be Daddy to AT&T Stadium.

All of the pouting at the end about DART and your shopping habits Bla Bla Bla means nothing for your argument because this is a thread about.......(Drum-roll).....LUXURY SHOPPING IN TEXAS......Your whining is not convincing..... All this says is your feelings are hurt......Face it....own it...embrace it...

Lol, THIS guy

You're like that annoying co-worker who hates to be wrong, so will go to the boss and complain about the next guy picking on him.

2nd best to WHOM?? The 1% of earth's population who actually can afford to BUY luxury clothes? Oh, okay...gotcha !

Bwhahahahahaha...so you're saying that ATT is NOT a direct rip-off of NRG, the FIRST NFL stadium with a retractable roof in America...among a bunch of OTHER firsts?? Yea, okay. Might wanna read up a bit...https://www.walterpmoore.com/projects/nrg-stadium. Talk about self-defeating!

Again...the rail sentiment was only brought up because you like to spout how "great" DFW's system is, when no one even utilizes the "Best Darn Public Transportation In Texas". Besides, I'm through with the luxury store debate, since everyone KNOWS that Houston's Galleria is KING in Texas...and AGAIN, that's DESPITE the Galleria having LESS luxury stores. The problem is that YOU'RE looking at the #1 spot as the place with the MOST stores...whereas I'm looking at the #1 spot as the place with the most VISITORS AND SALES..in which case the GALLERIA rules supreme!

Can't be "2nd Best" if I outsold ya, eh? Here's some reading for ya https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-cul...m-of-the-shop/

The Galleria isn't even at the forefront of Houstonian's minds like NPM is to Dallasites, yet it STILL outdoes NPM by a mile, lol!

Give it up boi...like I said before, you're only making yourself (and your city) look worse.

Last edited by spacecitytx; 05-26-2023 at 12:38 PM..

Old 05-26-2023, 03:33 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,607,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Here’s a walking tour of HPV. He walks around the entire shopping center with a good amount of pedestrian traffic. You can see what I’m talking about when I say, it accommodates cars but it doesn’t prioritize them. Just look how easily anyone can walk from shop to shop. It’s still built within human scale. The parking lot redo is partially complete but you can also see it’s now curb less at 7:25.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8t9aSZ...ature=youtu.be
You can walk from shop to shop at HPV. However it’s environment isn’t the type of walkable environment that ROD is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I mean eh...The only thing I will say is that HPV is far more interesting architecturally as ROD is boring in its design. But for pedestrians, ROD still is superior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX4qkdq_Pho
I agree. HPV while not as walkable of an environment as ROD does have the more interesting architecture overall. The replacement of the concrete compliments HPV much better

However there is one catch here. Due to the way HPV is structured, it looks more or less the same from end to end.

ROD on the other hand lets each store designate their look and architecture individually lined up. More along the lines of what you see in 5th Ave/Rodeo. Each store has their unique structure that exhibits the look of the brand (better for post cards).

I.e the Harry Winston store at ROD below

https://www.harrywinston.com/-/media...fcd5055c47184a

Quote:
L The 1% of earth's population who actually can afford to BUY luxury clothes? Oh, okay...gotcha !

Meh. I’m not a 1%er but I have a collection of accessories. Not the biggest in the world but enough to go around. You don’t have to be a 1%er to shop from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas