Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2023, 08:56 PM

141 posts, read 45,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
They especially did a lot of shuffling around the time that Saks Fifth Ave opened their new store. They appear to have attempted to turn the 2nd floor into an all luxury wing (at least the East-West hall) from Saks to Neiman Marcus which is on the opposite side.

Actually, available space was one of the biggest setbacks in Houston prior to 2015. And the addition of ROD.

The Galleria’s luxury tenants were previously all limited to one area. They shuffled and expanded the luxury wing to be nearly the entire second floor around the time that Saks opened its new store. This was in response to ROD’s added competition and even taking some of the Galleria’s tenants (such as Dior). And those two developments were why there was a sudden behemoth of luxury store openings around that time.

Both filled up pretty quickly; space isn’t readily available in either location.

Yes but I’d say it’s still a big difference between the two. If they turned some of the center into a park type of thing, they would also compliment it pretty well.

Lol
If a mall has 3 million square feet, it will never be a luxury mall. At best, it is just iconic. Dallas has two legit iconic malls to Houston having one. There just will never be enough luxury retail to fill up a single mall.
The Galleria Dallas survived a bloodbath which obliterated 3 other malls in a 1.5 square mile area. Gerald Hines spent the same amount on his mixed use Dallas Galleria project that Ms. Hunt spent on her Crescent in Uptown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
NorthPark to me looks pretty much the same. I don't see how The Crescent or Harwood is challenging NorthPark. I know of Stanley Korshak but what other high end retailer is there that's rivaling NorthPark Center?

Here's NorthPark in 1965. The same year it opened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjCBueva5RA
It's just that Neiman Marcus has fallen a few notches. Shoot, all those shopping centers surrounding Northpark are becoming lead-in to it. Preston Center, Mockingbird Station, The Shops at Park Lane, and Preston Hollow Village all anchor little urban nodes that lead up to Northparh with it sitting pretty as the centerpiece.

Old 05-24-2023, 09:07 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romping Willy Billy View Post
Northpark doesn't look as good as it once did. It use to be that unique crossroads where Northpark met up with Neiman Marcus. With Neiman Marcus struggling, I think the status of The Crescent / Harwood is now 6 6thchallenging it.
Northpark Center was built a year before the Kimbell museum in Fort Worth. I think they both have ended up sharing a similar designation.
..It actually looks better to me....Especially since they re-vamped the entire mall when they added the second level......

What's still kind of hidden in plain sight is the plan to completely finish the second level...... And it will probably be announced around the same time the details are revealed about the Galleria expansion and its new connection to the Mid-town Dallas Project.....YEP...It's coming!!!

Old 05-24-2023, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
NorthPark to me looks pretty much the same. I don't see how The Crescent or Harwood is challenging NorthPark. I know of Stanley Korshak but what other high end retailer is there that's rivaling NorthPark Center?

Here's NorthPark in 1965. The same year it opened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjCBueva5RA
It's just that Neiman Marcus has fallen a few notches. Shoot, all those shopping centers surrounding Northpark are becoming lead-in to it. Preston Center, Mockingbird Station, The Shops at Park Lane, and Preston Hollow Village all anchor little urban nodes that lead up to Northparh with it sitting pretty as the centerpiece. That whole area is establishing lots of flagship retail.

Old 05-24-2023, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
..It actually looks better to me....Especially since they re-vamped the entire mall when they added the second level......

What's still kind of hidden in plain sight is the plan to completely finish the second level...... And it will probably be announced around the same time the details are revealed about the Galleria expansion and its new connection to the Mid-town Dallas Project.....YEP...It's coming!!!
Still, if you already have something special going on, you don't risk it by spending twice the amount doubling the size - which will begat another Mall of America monstrosity in time, but you spend twice the amount expanding it by a quarter.
I think the idea of adding things like hotels and office buildings to make the mall into a mixed use development is crazy. Those are getting built around it. Just keep it dry and classical like the Kimbell museum.

Old 05-24-2023, 09:27 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Quote:
It's just that Neiman Marcus has fallen a few notches. Shoot, all those shopping centers surrounding Northpark are becoming lead-in to it. Preston Center, Mockingbird Station, The Shops at Park Lane, and Preston Hollow Village all anchor little urban nodes that lead up to Northparh with it sitting pretty as the centerpiece.
It is true that Neiman's has been struggling in recent years, but things do seem to be looking up for them....
Neiman Marcus clocks $5 billion in GMV for fiscal 2022

I would hate for Dallas to lose such an iconic upscale department store chain like Neiman's. Hopefully, their rebound is sustained.

Last edited by Dallaz; 05-24-2023 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: wrong link

Old 05-24-2023, 09:35 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Still, if you already have something special going on, you don't risk it by spending twice the amount doubling the size - which will begat another Mall of America monstrosity in time, but you spend twice the amount expanding it by a quarter.
I think the idea of adding things like hotels and office buildings to make the mall into a mixed use development is crazy. Those are getting built around it. Just keep it dry and classical like the Kimbell museum.
I totally agree with "Less is MORE"...I also agree that it all boils down to HOW you integrate additions to the current vibe and fabric without disrupting it.

I think that's the reason there's no rush...IT HAS TO BE DONE RIGHT...And with future plans for Galleria expansions...Northpark would have to take into consideration the close proximity of both developments to know the smartest thing to do in it's next move..........The GOAL would be for them to coincide not compete.

Northpark will always be the crown Jewel but The Galleria will always be its co-partner in creating a complete shopping mecca.

The Houston Galleria is really equivalent to The Dallas Galleria and NORTHPARK put together....IN size and store selections.

Oil and water are both important in their own right.....You STILL shouldn't mix them together.

That's why our Galleria is not of the caliber to Houston's...I can definitely admit that. ..I do think ours looks better and presents better...but who cares when you have NORTHPARK Center REALLY REALLY close?...

Nobody...You go to both.

Last edited by dallasboi; 05-24-2023 at 09:47 PM..

Old 05-24-2023, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I totally agree with "Less is MORE"...I also agree that it all boils down to HOW you integrate additions to the current vibe and fabric without disrupting it.

I think that's the reason there's no rush...IT HAS TO BE DONE RIGHT...And with future plans for Galleria expansions...Nortpark would have to take into consideration the close proximity of both developments to know the smartest thing to do in it's next move..........The GOAL would be for them to coincide not compete.

Northpark will always be the crown Jewel but The Galleria will always be its co-partner in creating a complete shopping mecca.

The Houston Galleria is really equivalent to The Dallas Galleria and NORTHPARK put together....IN size and store selections.

Oil and water are both important in their own right.....You STILL shouldn't mix them together.

That's why our Galleria is not of the caliber to Houston's...I can definitely admit that. ..I do think ours looks better and presents better...but who cares when you have NORTHPARK Center REALLY REALLY close?...

Nobody...You go to both.
Indeed, all that retail along Central suffered while the freeway got built. It is now exploding afterwards. The same happened to the Galleria Dallas during the rebuilding of the LBJ Freeway.

Old 05-24-2023, 09:50 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Quote:

I think that's the reason there's no rush...IT HAS TO BE DONE RIGHT...And with future plans for Galleria expansions...Nortpark would have to take into consideration the close proximity of both developments to know the smartest thing to do in it's next move..........The GOAL would be for them to coincide not compete.

Nobody...You go to both.
Just a thought, I can see Preston Center returning as an upscale destination. That's what it originally was before NorthPark was built. Neiman's first suburban store was located in Preston Center before moving to NorthPark. Also, Sanger-Harris was there too for years before it was bought out by Foley's. The retail became more neighborhood focused with the addition of office buildings since NorthPark is right down the street. I think the growth and the way the city wants to upgrade the area will further enhance the attractiveness for high end shopping in the future.

It's right in the center of some of the most affluent neighborhoods/enclaves in America. University Park, Highland Park, Preston Hollow, Bluffview, Greenway Parks, etc.

Old 05-24-2023, 09:57 PM

Quote:

Nobody...You go to both.
The areas of The Galleria and The Shops at Willowbend have always suffered the unique situation of becoming infill long before the developments got a chance to take hold. People forget how Beltline Road was like another major freeway intersection. It got booming before the completion of the North Dallas Toll Road. At about the same time, Ross Perot went way WAY out in North Plano to build his Legacy office park. It got started way before the construction of the Bush tollway and long before the Willowbend mall.
As the Texas oil depression of the mid to late eighties devastated all that fabulous retail in and around Addison, the tech bust in Richardson did the same to Willowbend Mall in tge 2000s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas