Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2023, 01:35 PM

869 posts, read 322,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
spacecitytx.......... are you still talking?!!!!!....a day late and a dollar short...

Yea...when you have a career, brand new house, wife, and a social life outside of this forum, replying to Dallas Boosters isn't a top priority...especially when said booster hasn't proven me wrong on anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2023, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romping Willy Billy View Post
There was a ferocious battle that took place in the eighties between the outside invading luxury stores that located in four malls in North Dallas and all the traditional stores wrapping around the Park Cities. It was a bloodbath. What one has to appreciate is how that area of North Dallas is supposed to be the number one retail shopping district in North Texas
In Dallas, it would be enough just having a Knox Street, but there is also Henderson Avenue. It should be enough having a string of regional stores located along the northside of Dallas and Tarrant counties, but there is also lots of regional stores locating to the south along I-20.
It isn't bragging if it is true.
I had a friend from Chicago pay a visit to Dallas. Showing him around, even he was amazed.
A shopping district which I've always liked in Houston is in Bellaire. It reminds me of Lakewood in Dallas how the streets of Bellaire and Bisonett cross and create a mix which isn't a square. However, just driving a few blocks will put one in the normal blight that is Houston retail.

But see, that's the issue...it CAN'T be true if ONE shopping district in Houston (Galleria) outdoes every shopping district in DFW COMBINED despite not having all of the "High-End" exclusive stores that the latter has.

Basically you're just arguing (and what everyone already surely knows) that Dallas has MORE shiny places in which to buy these luxury goods...yea, that's a given. I get it makes for good eye-candy, and on that Dallas definitely wins. But as for PERFORMANCE...yea, all Houston NEEDS is the Galleria...ROD is just a good backup.

Old 05-25-2023, 02:07 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,987,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Because it is unwalkable. Anybody that has been to walkable places will tell you ROD performs better in this. ROD is a better shopping experience for pedestrians as you don't have to compete with vehicles going from store to store if one must do that.
I disagree. HPV was built in the 30s and it accommodates cars but it doesn't prioritize them like modern shopping centers do. The retail buildings face each other and there are not acres of parking lots that people have to walk across to get to the next shop. People can park anywhere and are able to easily reach any part of HPV. I think the upgraded parking lots with brick pavers makes it even more walkable and aesthetically pleasing. Now, people don't have to worry about curbs when walking from shop to shop.

Modern Shopping Centers (particularly after WW2) basically took the functional elements of HPV and supersized it. What came after were much larger parking lots and retail buildings with inferior architecture/design. They built them in a strip mall style and not in a village-like fashion with the retail buildings facing each other. That type of design discourages the slightest foot traffic due to how it is set up. It encourages people to drive from shop to shop. With the shopping center being fronted with acres of parking.

Last edited by Dallaz; 05-25-2023 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 05-25-2023, 03:28 PM

141 posts, read 46,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
But see, that's the issue...it CAN'T be true if ONE shopping district in Houston (Galleria) outdoes every shopping district in DFW COMBINED despite not having all of the "High-End" exclusive stores that the latter has.

Basically you're just arguing (and what everyone already surely knows) that Dallas has MORE shiny places in which to buy these luxury goods...yea, that's a given. I get it makes for good eye-candy, and on that Dallas definitely wins. But as for PERFORMANCE...yea, all Houston NEEDS is the Galleria...ROD is just a good backup.
Houston has never had a shopping district - Uptown Houston included - that came close to all that retail built in North Dallas. That area had a collection of seven luxury department stores alone. It just goes to show how fast the retail market can change in North Texas. When Victory Park got started, they tried stocking it with luxury stores. That didn't last long. The fellow that owns Highland Park Village considers the potential of the Miracle Mile / Inwood Village to be his biggest competition. The reason why is because of all the stores that at one time lined up along that stretch each representing something akin to a 4510 - which were what the later 4510 got modeled after. 4510? Looks like it came and went.
Like I said in another post, while Dallas seems to develop iconic retail every 7 to 8 years, it usually takes Houston 20.

Old 05-25-2023, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romping Willy Billy View Post
Houston has never had a shopping district - Uptown Houston included - that came close to all that retail built in North Dallas. That area had a collection of seven luxury department stores alone. It just goes to show how fast the retail market can change in North Texas. When Victory Park got started, they tried stocking it with luxury stores. That didn't last long. The fellow that owns Highland Park Village considers the potential of the Miracle Mile / Inwood Village to be his biggest competition. The reason why is because of all the stores that at one time lined up along that stretch each representing something akin to a 4510 - which were what the later 4510 got modeled after. 4510? Looks like it came and went.
Like I said in another post, while Dallas seems to develop iconic retail every 7 to 8 years, it usually takes Houston 20.

Sheeesh...

I'm about done with this conversation, but I'll just say that you're still missing the point...which is that despite ALL OF THE LUXURY DISTRICTS that DFW has or had in all of it's existence, Houston is STILL and has ALWAYS BEEN on par with it despite having FAR LESS luxury districts...which makes all of this "Dallas has more stores" babble rendered useless. What's the point of having "more" if it isn't blowing the closest competition out of the water?? Houston's Galleria is still the main Titan out of all shopping areas in Texas, and ROD is arguably better than HPV, depending on who you ask. It's certainly more expensive, lol.

Old 05-25-2023, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Sheeesh...

I'm about done with this conversation, but I'll just say that you're still missing the point...which is that despite ALL OF THE LUXURY DISTRICTS that DFW has or had in all of it's existence, Houston is STILL and has ALWAYS BEEN on par with it despite having FAR LESS luxury districts...which makes all of this "Dallas has more stores" babble rendered useless. What's the point of having "more" if it isn't blowing the closest competition out of the water?? Houston's Galleria is still the main Titan out of all shopping areas in Texas, and ROD is arguably better than HPV, depending on who you ask. It's certainly more expensive, lol.
Cool.

Old 05-25-2023, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I disagree. HPV was built in the 30s and it accommodates cars but it doesn't prioritize them like modern shopping centers do. The retail buildings face each other and there are not acres of parking lots that people have to walk across to get to the next shop. People can park anywhere and are able to easily reach any part of HPV. I think the upgraded parking lots with brick pavers makes it even more walkable and aesthetically pleasing. Now, people don't have to worry about curbs when walking from shop to shop.

Modern Shopping Centers (particularly after WW2) basically took the functional elements of HPV and supersized it. What came after were much larger parking lots and retail buildings with inferior architecture/design. They built them in a strip mall style and not in a village-like fashion with the retail buildings facing each other. That type of design discourages the slightest foot traffic due to how it is set up. It encourages people to drive from shop to shop. With the shopping center being fronted with acres of parking.
Ive ofen wondered about inside of one of those shops constructed in the miracle mile located in University Park, if the walls making up the sides of their buildings are the same walls making up the side walls of their neighbors buildings. I bet they aren't. While Highland Park Village isn't tilt walled construction, I bet the shop leasers share a common single wall between them. I think that was the distinction. A big long building was constructed and then walls put in place to divide shops.

Old 05-25-2023, 05:19 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,472,672 times
Quote:
Yea...when you have a career, brand new house, wife, and a social life outside of this forum, replying to Dallas Boosters isn't a top priority...especially when said booster hasn't proven me wrong on anything.

Ha!!!!....just scroll back to when Jason posted the list...the next 4 posts after that proved everything I said.

And when your fellow Houstonian cohort called himself checking the source......He got Houston into a crawfish boil.....Because some of those kids were under age and had to be DEDUCTED from the party list!!!....

Which solidified what I was saying EVEN more.....

And of course you weren't any help with your information-less rebuttals......

Houston's Collection of Luxury stores and Market is vastly growing no doubt.......But it is NOT in the same class as Dallas.....

A built-out FULL R.O.D just doesn't stack up when compared to her MOTHER HPV!!!

And if it is built-out It will NEVER stack up.....HPV has double the stores and double the exclusives

But don't get me wrong....Benefit of the doubt she DOES have good bones and potential because......."She get it from her Moma"

HPV(moma) was the inspiration behind the concept and development of R.O.D.......

Developers mimic or "Copy" what works.

So....you're welcome!!!.........We are in the same state.

just More Info:

How Dallas became the world’s capital of the mall.....Meaning Mastered the concept....
https://www.dallasnews.com/arts-ente...l-of-the-mall/

Quote:
The story of the mall in Dallas does not begin with NorthPark, however, but a short distance away, off Hillcrest Boulevard. In 1926, the developer C.W. Snider announced plans for a self-contained, 30-acre shopping district there in University Park, then only two years old, its growth propelled by the emergence of the automobile as a primary means of everyday commuting. The principal innovation of Snider Plaza was how it accommodated the motor vehicle: “parking streets” put angled spaces facing both shop fronts on one side and landscaped medians on the other.

A pastiche of a pastiche

The idea of a private shopping center as a de facto town center was extended at Highland Park Village, developed just a few years later by the brothers-in-law Hugh Prather and Edgar Flippen. Snider Plaza was just one of their models. Another was Kansas City’s Country Club Plaza, which opened in 1923. A fantasy Main Street outside of downtown in an appealing Spanish style, it set the design standard for suburban shopping centers. Its developer, J.C. Nichols, was a friend and adviser of Prather. There was another critical Dallas connection in its design team: Its layout was the work of George Kessler, who gave Dallas its urban plan after the catastrophic flood of 1908.
Quote:
NorthPark, for its part, has managed the mallpocalypse with relative ease, pulling in some 26 million visitors annually. “It’s ever evolving and growing and changing,“ Nancy Nasher says. That mindful attention has assured its status as an international benchmark for retail development, and a genuine civic institution for Dallas.
See you there.
I just want you to learn something from every one of my post...It's only fair.

Last edited by dallasboi; 05-25-2023 at 05:58 PM..

Old 05-25-2023, 05:35 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,472,672 times
Quote:
Sheeesh...

I've already posted how NORTHPARK CENTER is the PREEMINENTshopping destination in the entire Southwest....

In fact..............

...........Here you go......

Quote:
NorthPark Center is the preeminent shopping center in the Southwest and one of the finest shopping experiences in the world with more than 200 stores and restaurants, including more than 60 market exclusives. Anchored by Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Macy’s, and Dillard’s, NorthPark offers an unparalleled collection of luxury boutiques set amid internationally acclaimed 20th and 21st century art, award-winning architecture, and extraordinary landscaping—as well as a 1.4-acre garden, CenterPark, and a state-of-the-art movie theatre, AMC NorthPark 15. NorthPark consistently ranks as one of the top five performing shopping centers in the United States and is North Texas’ number one visitor destination. NorthPark is conveniently located 7 miles from downtown Dallas and 35 miles from Fort Worth.
60 overall exclusives..16 in fashion...............Not 10......like your beloved HOUSTON GALLERIA.

Last edited by dallasboi; 05-25-2023 at 06:05 PM..

Old 05-25-2023, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I've already posted how NORTHPARK CENTER is the PREEMINENTshopping destination in the entire Southwest....

In fact..............

...........Here you go......

60 overall exclusives..16 in fashion...............Not 10......like your beloved HOUSTON GALLERIA.
You had me up to the mentioning of the AMC theater. That's it?
What I don't like about the Houston Galleria is how it has grown into a monstrosity. Being the biggest like Minneapolis's Mall of America doesn't mean that it is gorgeous. Frankly, the Houston Galleria has lost its intimacy.
We should be mature enough to be able to handle criticism. For example, I hate that AMC theater at Northpark Center!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas