Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 02:27 PM

2 posts, read 6,827 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I'm looking to relocate from Sacramento to somewhere in Hill Country, and I'm hoping some wise locals might be able to point me in the right direction. My dream for years now has been to find a place to start up a homestead (I'm into self-sufficiency) where the weather and soil are good for farming. I'd like to find a small, close-knit community to be a part of; one that has a hospital or medical clinics, as I plan on working as a medical assistant. It would be nice if it weren't terribly humid, but I can take all the heat Texas can dish out--we regularly see 100+ degree summer days here in Sactown, so I'm used to it. I'm single, no kids, and my budget is rather small but I plan on just buying a few acres of land outside of town and building my own house. I would rather not be too close to any major cities; I've seen the rural areas here swallowed up by suburban sprawl and it's something I'd like to avoid. So, does this laundry list sound like any areas you know of? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 02:58 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
hill country land is really expensive and the soil is not too good for farming I hear.The Hill Country is more ranching country.If you want farming land, I would go east of 35.Further east you go, the more humid it gets.I would send for a free Texas travel guide.I think most of the hill country is humid except the western part like Big Lake and Ozona.A lot of people consider the Hill Country to start further east than I do.We all have our own definition of what it is.Thanks and good luck.

Last edited by Westerntraveler; 05-12-2013 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: clarification.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:28 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
The soil in the Hill Country is not suitable for farming. Its mostly limestone and granite rock with a very thin layer of soil on top. There are a few vineyards and a lot of peach orchards, but besides that, there's not much agriculture. There are no cattle or horse ranches; just sheep and goats that can survive on scrub brush. Also, water in that part of the state is difficult. You will pay a fortune to have a well drilled because they have to blast through the rock. San Antonio and Austin are already on water restrictions again this year. Despite all this, the land in the Hill Country is $$$ because it is so beautiful. You will pay a small fortune for even a simple ranchette there.

Big Lake is NOT part of the Hill Country!! The land out there is super flat with a few mesas. Conventional wisdom says Hill Country starts at Junction or Ozona. Big Lake is also experiencing the oil/gas boom that hit Midland-Odessa, and land prices have skyrocketed!

Honestly, if you want to farm, you need to be in east Texas. Basically, almost anything east of 35 will have better dirt and enough rainfall to do what you want. Also, oddly enough, the land is fairly cheap away from the big cities. Look in the small towns around College Station, such as Caldwell, Madisonville, etc. You will likely be able to get a better deal on an existing home with land than on building your own house. Find a local realtor and they can explain...

Good luck!!

Old 05-12-2013, 04:56 PM

I get my information about Big Lake in the state of Texas official travel guide.The definition of hill country varies from person to person and I dont believe the common one.Lets just leave it at that and agree to disagree

Old 05-12-2013, 04:58 PM

There was no need to yell.I was not suggesting Big Lake or Ozona to live in....I was just using it as a humidity reference point.

Last edited by Westerntraveler; 05-12-2013 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: add

Old 05-12-2013, 05:12 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
It's ok, but don't confuse newcomers by saying Big Lake is Hill Country. It's not. At all.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:37 PM

Thanks Christie, but I consider Big Lake to be the hill country so lets just leave it at that.I would not advise someone to live Big Lake unless they were oil field workers so I get your point.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:40 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
It's ok, but don't confuse newcomers by saying Big Lake is Hill Country. It's not. At all.
For some strange reason, Texas Highways classifies both Ozona and Big Lake as being part of the Hill Country, so I guess that's where the designation comes from.

But...I very much disagree with TH on this. IMO, the Hill Country starts east of Junction.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
For some strange reason, Texas Highways classifies both Ozona and Big Lake as being part of the Hill Country, so I guess that's where the designation comes from.

But...I very much disagree with TH on this. IMO, the Hill Country starts east of Junction.
yep thats where I got it from

Old 05-12-2013, 06:19 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
Hill Country starts north of San Antonio (Helotes, Tx) to West of Uvalde, up to Junction, up to San Saba, then west of Austin.

As for farming...yea...Hill Country not an ideal place, but if you are willing to go a bit East of San Antonio to an area around Seguin, you will have better luck there.

There are quite a few other forms of agriculture such as tree farms (Utopia, Tx), organic farming, vineyards, peach groves,etc. There are cattle ranches, but many of them have shut down due to the recent droughts. There's a few big horse ranch off highway 290 near Stonewall and lets not forget about LBJ's large cattle operation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas