Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 08:11 PM

579 posts, read 1,228,592 times

Advertisements

My family has been in the Hill Country since the mid 1800s. It is not easy, but you can grow a good variety of food for yourself...I don't think you are planning on implementing some massive farming operation, just enough for yourself so you can do it. You will fail at first, but just learn from it. Some areas of the Hill Country have good soil, you just have to research a little. Plenty of horse and cattle ranches in the area. Here is a famous thoroughbred ranch from back in the day: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Ranch,_Texas
Some areas have good water, just research a little. We have multiple wells on our ranch (we run cattle just fine) and recently had one drilled to a depth of 200 ft for about $3,000. We installed the solar pump and equipment ourselves for about $3000. We were quoted $4500 by a pump installer. Fredericksburg and Kerrville both have great medical facilities. However, the land value is going to be very expensive. You might be able to find a deal if you are patient enough, but they are few and far between these days. Thankfully, I don't have to deal with that problem.

Having said all that, I think it would be much easier to homestead somewhere between Austin-San Antonio-Houston. Yes it is more humid, but everything would be much easier when it comes to being self sufficient.
Brenham, La Grange, Columbus come to mind.

I agree with Doss1 on the Hill Country boundary...(love the name change by the way...my family ranch is near there). If we include everywhere that has hills/trees/cedar then we might as well include places like just west of Waco, Glen Rose, and the Mineral Wells/Possum Kingdom area. The Hill Country is not just a place, it is a state of mind.

Last edited by die Eichkatze; 05-12-2013 at 08:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 08:37 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,716,990 times
I'm currently out of state working a job and can not stop dreaming about the hill country. I don't know how I did it, but I purchased 10ac of land in Stonewall on a river a few years ago by scraping every penny I had.I knew I had to do this before I made the next big change in my life--and it was a long standing goal of mine to own land in the hill country.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:45 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,978,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by die Eichkatze View Post
My family has been in the Hill Country since the mid 1800s. It is not easy, but you can grow a good variety of food for yourself...I don't think you are planning on implementing some massive farming operation, just enough for yourself so you can do it. You will fail at first, but just learn from it. Some areas of the Hill Country have good soil, you just have to research a little. Plenty of horse and cattle ranches in the area. Here is a famous thoroughbred ranch from back in the day: Morris Ranch, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Some areas have good water, just research a little. We have multiple wells on our ranch (we run cattle just fine) and recently had one drilled to a depth of 200 ft for about $3,000. We installed the solar pump and equipment ourselves for about $3000. We were quoted $4500 by a pump installer. Fredericksburg and Kerrville both have great medical facilities. However, the land value is going to be very expensive. You might be able to find a deal if you are patient enough, but they are few and far between these days. Thankfully, I don't have to deal with that problem.

Having said all that, I think it would be much easier to homestead somewhere between Austin-San Antonio-Houston. Yes it is more humid, but everything would be much easier when it comes to being self sufficient.
Brenham, La Grange, Columbus come to mind.

I agree with Doss1 on the Hill Country boundary...(love the name change by the way...my family ranch is near there). If we include everywhere that has hills/trees/cedar then we might as well include places like just west of Waco, Glen Rose, and the Mineral Wells/Possum Kingdom area. The Hill Country is not just a place, it is a state of mind.
La Grange is really nice.I was there earlier this year when my family was looking at retirement places and I liked it.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:47 PM

579 posts, read 1,228,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
I'm currently out of state working a job and can not stop dreaming about the hill country. I don't know how I did it, but I purchased 10ac of land in Stonewall on a river a few years ago by scraping every penny I had.I knew I had to do this before I made the next big change in my life--and it was a long standing goal of mine to own land in the hill country.
Wise move.
FBG got hammered by a storm Thursday night...well the northside did. 2-3in size hail knocked out a lot of windows and car windshields. Know several people whose vehicles were totaled by the insurance company. Spent all day Saturday cleaning up my mom's yard which was about 6 inches deep in live oak leaves...found several doves killed by the hail. Stonewall area also got hit pretty good...what little peach crop that was left from the late season freeze is gone now.

Edit: that pic looks like crenwelge rd in the doss area? Or Maner...

Old 05-13-2013, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by die Eichkatze View Post

Edit: that pic looks like crenwelge rd in the doss area? Or Maner...
Definitely doss, but don't remember the road! That area is my favorite area of the hill country.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:37 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,364,927 times
The best farming soils in Texas are unfortunately in areas where there is little water. Early settlers to Texas made the same mistakes in judgement that I see going on in this thread. They too assumed that where there are a lot of trees the soil must be rich. Actually, tree canopies tie up soil nutrients for many years before they ever give it back to the soil. On the other hand, annual grasses such as in west Texas, give up their nutrients to the soil each year. Nutrients in top soils tend to accumulate faster than where the soil has to wait for years for trees to give them up.

Some of the richest farm soils in Texas are right here on the Texas High Plains. Unfortunately, we are fast losing the necessary water resources to support large scale irrigated farming.

In order to farm successfully, you need both water and good soil among a lot of other things beyond the scope of this thread. Anyhow, best of luck in your farming endeavors.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:45 AM

27 posts, read 105,716 times
Fredricksburg

Old 05-17-2013, 07:15 AM

I'm in the Tetons, probably one of the most beautiful places on the face of the earth...yet...I still yearn for the hill country. Too bad John Denver never visited the Hill Country...he'd be singing about places like Doss, Tx.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,843 times
Thanks so much for your information, everyone! Very helpful. I'll start looking east of the 35 then.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:56 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,978,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty0889 View Post
Thanks so much for your information, everyone! Very helpful. I'll start looking east of the 35 then.
Anytime...I wish you the best of luck and welcome to Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas