Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 08:52 AM

437 posts, read 2,238,992 times

Advertisements

I was looking at a realtor web site and found some land. It was in a town call Johnson City and Blanco. It this the great Hill County you all talk about?

I noticed the land has lots of Rocks on the ground and wondered if that would be a problem building a home, well, septic on that land.

It was very pretty out there in nowhere. It was very far from any town that I would see.

Anyone know anything about those two towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 09:18 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,003,265 times
Yes,there is only one Hill Country.Roughly,it is an area inside a line from Junction to LLano to Georgetown,down I 35 to Austin and San Antonio,west from San Antonio to Uvalde,and back up to Junction from Uvalde.If you are still looking for a place to live you should definitely look into it.Homes are built there all the time.I haven't been to Johnson City much,but Blanco is a very nice place and still laid back.The best thing to do is just visit it.Even if moving there doesn't work out it is a nice trip.The famed Luchenbach of Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings is just down the road from Blanco.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:02 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,159 times
Attached is a map of the Texas Hill Country, with the shaded areas defining the area. It is nice, but some areas are nicer than others. I haven't been there but a time or two, and it was a pleasant change from Central Texas. A few of my favorite areas are Leakey and Rocksprings (quite rugged), Bandera, and Kerrville.
Attached Thumbnails
Is there only one Hill Country In Texas-texas-hill-country-map.gif  

Old 01-27-2007, 10:36 AM

Thank you so much.
I am still worried about the rock in the land. It was everywhere.
Anyone know anything about that. Is that a problem when building?

Old 01-27-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound for Texas View Post
Thank you so much.
I am still worried about the rock in the land. It was everywhere.
Anyone know anything about that. Is that a problem when building?
I really don't know for sure about that, but I can tell you there are many houses being built in this area and some on the side of the hills. Therefore, I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

Hopefully, a builder will read your post and give you an intelligent answer about the rock.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:33 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,446,206 times
The Texas Hill Country, is commonly referred to the area to the West of I-35 b/w Austin and San Antonio, stretching westward past Junction.

Now, there is another part of Texas that is hilly and greatly resembles the "Texas Hill Country" which is located in Palo Pinto County around Possum Kingdom Lake (about an hour west of Ft. Worth). It's very pretty out there.

Old 01-27-2007, 12:30 PM

Another thing I noticed was a big differece in price. This land I am talking about has 16 acres for $12,000. Isn't that kind of cheap?

Another had 2.5 acres and was $65,000 all in the same area. This one was in Blanco the other above is in Johnson City. humm

I guess I will have to e-mail the Realtor. I just wanted to know how nice the area was. This area looks very far out there and I can see by the pictures there isn't anything around it yet.

These are zoned for AG. What kind of weather do you get there?

Old 01-27-2007, 05:12 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
That area you are talking about is about 40min from our place out there and same type of land. Had no problem putting in a septic tank or putting a house up. Don't expect a basement since those don't get built down here unless you have a ton of money so they can blast out a hole cause it is limestone. I know several places around in that area that do have inground swimming pools. So no problem there. Since they are zoned for AG I would say raise some goats ot I guess in the larger place you could try olives. ( heard those are working out well in the Hill country) Can't really grow all that much in that area. Not really sure what you might do for the ag credit.

Last edited by neddy; 01-27-2007 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: added ag info

Old 01-27-2007, 06:21 PM

Hey, Bound For Texas.........

Now I remember who you are. You were the thread starter for Texas Weather. I thought it was East Texas in which you were interested. I guess I'm wrong.

I'm the one who wants to leave TX and settle some place near the Blue Ridge Mountains in VA. I don't know if I'll ever muster up the courage to leave my grown children or move off that far by myself since I'm single and not getting any younger, but after I visit next June, I must make up my mind. It's driving me nuts!!

If I could talk my kids into leaving this place, I'd go in a heartbeat, after it was checked out, of course.

Anyway, I'm thinking about the Hill Country as well. It won't get me away from the heat of Texas, but some of the areas do have fewer tornadoes than where I live in Central Texas. It really looks the same as where I am except for the hills.

I want some acreage some place and just don't want to stay in the area where I now live. The HC would surely be closer to my children than VA. I'm so betwixed and between.

I had thought though about a neighboring county to where I am now that isn't as populated as mine, but I found out that one of the planned routes for the Trans-Texas Corridor may go right through this county which will ruin it for sure.

Well, I can't wait for June to either move on or back off from moving to those gorgeous mountains. Boo hoo!!

Old 01-27-2007, 06:56 PM

Hi Neddy, thanks for the info. Humm Limestone. My dogs would kill the goats though and that wouldn't be nice.

Yes its me KewGee, I thought I would look around. I didn't do that when I got on here almost a year ago. Can you believe how times gone by?
I still like East Texas but man, there taxes are so high for even a old home.

I know what you mean about leaving the kids. My son won't come to Texas either and it is hard. I wish you lots of luck with that. At least I have my husband. I wouldn't go by myself, I am to chicken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas