Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 08:19 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times

Advertisements

We're considering a move to TX from MD. Getting tired of the rat race and would love to slow down and actually know my nieghbors. Anyway, my brother-in-law moved to Lakehills (outside of SA) and loves it there. He tells us, and we've read, that Hill Country is the most beautiful part of Texas. Could someone please explain exactly where Hill Country is? Or e-mail/post pictures?

I've been reading and doing some research and we're leaning towards New Braunfels-thinking it would be within commuting distance of Austin and SA. Is that correct?

TIA--Ellen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2006, 12:01 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,240,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102
We're considering a move to TX from MD. Getting tired of the rat race and would love to slow down and actually know my nieghbors. Anyway, my brother-in-law moved to Lakehills (outside of SA) and loves it there. He tells us, and we've read, that Hill Country is the most beautiful part of Texas. Could someone please explain exactly where Hill Country is? Or e-mail/post pictures?
Lakehills is the Medina Lake area of San Antonio.

Quote:
I've been reading and doing some research and we're leaning towards New Braunfels-thinking it would be within commuting distance of Austin and SA. Is that correct?

TIA--Ellen
More so San Antonio.

Commuter rail from SA to New Braunfels is in the planning.

New Braunfels is a suburb of San Antonio.

However, I think you'd be much happier in Boerne, Tx.

Just let me know what you'd like to know.

Old 06-06-2006, 05:42 AM

Thanks. I wondered why I could find such little information on Lakehills. I did a short search on Medina Lake and it is beautiful-much larger than I'd have thought.

Could you please tell me why you'd think I'd be much happier in Boerne? Are there any other places that you enjoy in Hill Country? My only thing is that I need to be within commuting distance of Austin b/c that's where my husband's job will be.

Many thanks for your time,

Ellen

Old 06-06-2006, 06:44 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,001,789 times
Quote:
My only thing is that I need to be within commuting distance of Austin b/c that's where my husband's job will be.
All the area west,southwest,and northwest of Austin is beautiful and would be a great place to live.Great scenery,good schools.I'm not knocking the area east of Austin,it may be great also,but I just don't know that much about it.

The Hill Country is roughly from Georgetown to San Antonio on out to Uvalde,up Hwy 83 to Junction and back across to Georgetown through Llano.Anything within this area that you think is commutable will be a great place to live.

Last edited by lifertexan; 06-06-2006 at 06:48 AM..

Old 06-06-2006, 09:21 AM

8 posts, read 66,900 times
I live in New Braunfels.My wife and I absolutely love it here.Its a semi small town, with all the ameneitys of the city.Austin is about a 35 minutes drive.New braunfels also has the #1 water park in America named by the travel channel ""Schlitterbahn Waterpark"".

Downtown new braunfels is like going back in time, all the buildings were built in the 1800"s and just has that feels of a small town, with shops and restaurants . On top of that, New Braunfels has 2 rivers running through it, the Comal and the Guadalupe which is great for summer activity, we kayak all the time down the river.Then you have the historical downtown Gruene, its one of the oldest settments in texas and also have the oldest dance hall.Alot of country singers players there.ANd Gruene is filled with historical building, bed and breakfasts and shops.

I wouldnt want to live anywhere else but here.

edit: i forgot to mention Canyon lake is a 5-10 minutes drive, Great for boating,fishing,jet skiing ect .ect.

people from all over the world come here to visit and play in the sun

http://www.schlitterbahn.com/[/url]

http://www.touringtexas.com/gruene/

http://www.rockinr.com/

http://www.newbraunfels-tx.net/

http://wildtexas.com/parks/canyon.php

Last edited by RIVERRAT; 06-06-2006 at 09:30 AM..

Old 06-06-2006, 02:33 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,653,319 times
My dad was the chief appraiser over in Kendall and his office was in Boerne over in the heart where all the antique shops were at, old town I beleive is what they called it. He really liked living there but for health reasons left to take a less demanding job which was teaching. He died a few months after leaving. He wanted to find a job within the town but there wasn't any teaching positions. Randy Travis went to his office once looking for his assistance. Dad missed it and wondered why everyone was in a joyous uproar when he got back from Wal Mart having his tire repaired. He use to laugh about that one.

The hill country is beautiful. I think you would love it very much!

Old 06-14-2006, 09:44 PM

4 posts, read 18,632 times
Check out Wimberley Texas. I think they have a web site. I live in Buda Texas just outside Austin and I have commuted both to San Antonio and to Austin from here. It takes about an hour and 15 minutes to San Antonio (about 60 miles) but can also take about an hour and 15 minutes into Austin ( about 20 miles). The traffic into Austin from both the south and the north is awful.

Old 06-22-2006, 02:45 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,240,903 times
New Braunfels in Metro San Antonio would be your ideal choice.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:33 AM

Default thanks

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm planning a visit in a few months and can't wait to check out NB. The kids are really excited about visiting Schiltterbohn. Now all I have to do is find a place to stay

Old 06-22-2006, 04:58 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,001,789 times
If you are suggesting that you are going to take the kids to Schlitterbahn when you visit in a few months you should know that the waterpark will close around the first week of September.It gets too cool to be in 60 degree water (Schlitterbahn uses riverwater that comes from an underground spring) in September even in south Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas