Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 02:28 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,370,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
I guess if you live in Dallas this is what you would call a "forest." If these stubby little elf trees are a forest than Houston must be Yellowstone. If this is a forest than Austin is the Ozarks.

In the four national forest in Texas the most common type of tree is over 100 feet. You know one of the most common types of tree in all them? The Loblolly Pine.

I know for a fact that you guys haven't been to Houston if you are still arguing this nonsense. Those are the types of short little trees you see in Houston toward the coast.
Those Keebler Elf trees up in Big D .

I'm taller than most of the trees in DFW.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:40 PM

6,731 posts, read 9,992,119 times
Even thought I don't like arguing over trees......I hate when people call Dallas barren when it's not.

In these videos I will show you the wetlands and the Great Trinity Forest. There's Beavers, River Otters, Roseate Spoonbills, Deers, Crawfish, Wood Storks (endangered species), Snapping Turtles, Bobcats, Alligators, Coyotes and more in the Great Trinity Forest.

Texas Buckeye Trail Great Trinity Forest Dallas Texas - YouTube

Wood Stork flock of hundreds Great Trinity Forest Dallas Texas - YouTube

Huge Texas Snapping Turtle - YouTube

Angry Beaver slapping tail at Trinity River Wetlands Dallas Texas - YouTube

Bobcat on Trinity River Dallas Texas McCommas Bluff - YouTube

River Otter in Dallas Texas near Trinity River Audubon Center - YouTube

Crawfish feeding underwater in Texas natural spring HD - YouTube

Roseate Spoonbills at Lemmon Lake Trinity River Dallas Texas - YouTube

Doe and Fawn Whitetail Deer in Dallas Texas Great Trinity Forest September 2011 - YouTube

Old 07-03-2012, 02:56 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,474,780 times
http://webpages.charter.net/lot/F16-Over-Houston.jpg
Ok where are all the 100 foot trees?

http://www.allbestwallpapers.com/wal...uston,_usa.jpg
Them look like shrubs there.....where's the forrest that covers the entire Houston area?

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=I4577276140390911&pid=1.5
These trees don't look 100 feet?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-07-2012 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: copyrighted photos - include links only per TOS

Old 07-03-2012, 02:58 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,540,361 times
This **** is so ridiculous and silly. Yes, Houston has WAY more trees and taller trees than the Dallas area. It's not even close. But there are still misconceptions on both sides. Dallas isn't a desert or barren either. It's a prairie. There's lots of grass, trees, and life -- even if those trees aren't at the same height as Houston's. Houston has some treeless areas, too.

On the flip side, there are rolling hills in Dallas, which is nice in its own sense. It's not the hill country like Central Texas, but it's not flat as a pancake like Houston either. As Trae pointed out, some parts in southwest Dallas/Cedar Hill aren't too far off from Hill Country. Really all of South DFW is quite hilly.

At the end of the day, neither Dallas nor Houston win any trophies in natural beauty and nobody moves here for the scenery.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:13 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,224,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
I guess if you live in Dallas this is what you would call a "forest." If these stubby little elf trees are a forest than Houston must be Yellowstone. If this is a forest than Austin is the Ozarks.

In the four national forest in Texas the most common type of tree is over 100 feet. You know one of the most common types of tree in all them? The Loblolly Pine.

I know for a fact that you guys haven't been to Houston if you are still arguing this nonsense. Those are the types of short little trees you see in Houston toward the coast.
Actually I lived in Houston. Yes there are some nice pine trees. But they aren't everywhere as some would have us believe.

More than once I heard, "Houston is a great place if you can live in one of the 'tree areas'".

Old 07-03-2012, 04:30 PM

563 posts, read 911,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Ok where are all the 100 foot trees?
First you argue that Houston and Dallas have the same amount of tree cover which I showed you there is a difference in the millions. Then you argue that Houston only has heavy wooded areas in Conroe and in the Woodlands and I proved you wrong on that. Then you argue that Houston only has a 100 foot tall trees in the far north and I showed you the Memorial area that is full of them.

I NEVER said Houston has 100 foot tall trees from one end to the other. You are the one that keeps moving the goal post when proved wrong. The city and metro areas of Houston are 600 and 10,000 sqm respectively. So your tiny picture of a few sqm doesn't even begin to do Houston justice (also, that aerial of Houston was taken in the winter).

The Houston posters have only been including pics of the city of Houston and not the metro. You guys continue to argue about DFW. Do you guys really want me to include photos of alllll of the treeless DFW area photos (Ft. Worth....) and ecspecially the ones from winter?

Last edited by MobileDave; 07-03-2012 at 04:42 PM..

Old 07-03-2012, 04:38 PM

563 posts, read 911,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Actually I lived in Houston. Yes there are some nice pine trees. But they aren't everywhere as some would have us believe.

More than once I heard, "Houston is a great place if you can live in one of the 'tree areas'".
There are dense tree covered neighborhoods all over the Houston area.... a lot more than DFW. No there are not pine trees all over but no one ever stated this.

I lived in Dallas as well and one of the things I would hear all of the time actually is how people wished they had more trees in their neighborhoods. Another common theme was how they wished Dallas wasn't so landlocked.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:01 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,953,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
This **** is so ridiculous and silly. Yes, Houston has WAY more trees and taller trees than the Dallas area. It's not even close. But there are still misconceptions on both sides. Dallas isn't a desert or barren either. It's a prairie. There's lots of grass, trees, and life -- even if those trees aren't at the same height as Houston's. Houston has some treeless areas, too.

On the flip side, there are rolling hills in Dallas, which is nice in its own sense. It's not the hill country like Central Texas, but it's not flat as a pancake like Houston either. As Trae pointed out, some parts in southwest Dallas/Cedar Hill aren't too far off from Hill Country. Really all of South DFW is quite hilly.

At the end of the day, neither Dallas nor Houston win any trophies in natural beauty and nobody moves here for the scenery.
And THAT should be the end of that convo....

Old 07-03-2012, 05:39 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,370,847 times
Since this is actually a skyline thread, I thought I'd post this link. I just found this picture, and I absolutely love it:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4090/...65196b5d00.jpg

It's no secret that I'm not a fan of our downtown architecture, so it's rare to find a shot of it that looks so nice.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:56 PM

6,731 posts, read 9,992,119 times
Here's an aerial picture of Klyde Warren Park under construction (the building on the left is Museum Tower)

Source:
Two-day celebration planned for October opening of Klyde Warren Park | Dallas-Fort Worth Communities - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/2.../deck_park.jpg

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-07-2012 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: Copyrighted photos require links only - not disclaimers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas