Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 02:54 PM

54 posts, read 28,649 times

Advertisements

Economic opportunities, diversity of landscapes and our gun laws are a good start.

Texas is a state of mind and a pride you don't see in other states I travel to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 06:32 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
I always remember my drill instructor at Lackland saying "There are only two kinds of people...Texans and wannabe Texans." Unfortunately that was my only Texas experience and to make a long story short things didn't work out and it was a short experience but someday I hope to make Texas my home!
Old post, but not everyone wants to be Texan. Now, one of the things i like? Texans are very welcoming

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/lo...f-675431093424

Old 12-18-2020, 05:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Those were images of Paintings, the Photos are even more diverse and numerous
https://www.google.com/search?q=real...wCKAB6BQgBEPcC

BTW: I finally got up your way to Tyler area. It was quite nice, enjoyed the brick streets and vintage homes, but I better come back for the Roses. What month is best (and not too hot!). I usually escape TX by 10 April (when Bluebonnets fade). Return Oct 15 (probably too late for roses). Maybe I could find a car with AC, or rent one, and come in June or Sept.
Thank you!

You know Texas - we have four seasons - Almost Summer, Summer, Still Summer, and Christmas!

You could try mid October for roses, but I'd recommend May or June. I don't really know though - I'm not all that into the Rose Garden though I hear it's beautiful. I think I've gone once in nearly 30 years here!

The Azalea Trails are in the spring, and in the "Azalea District" which is where the brick streets and vintage homes are, and it's always lovely. Maybe you could catch that. Lots and lots of homes have lots of flowers in the late spring and early summer around here.

Old 12-18-2020, 05:38 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,736 times
The big open sky, the thunderstorms, the Dallas skyline, Tex-Mex and the food in general (Whataburger Drpepper, etc.), the accent, the people, bluebonnets in the spring, the big live oak and pecan trees, the rivers and lakes, the history, the old historic courthouses, and the flag!

Old 12-18-2020, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Marijuana and liquor on Sundays, no, can't do that. Buy a Tesla from a showroom, no can't do that either . Open carry, don't even try it

I get the "freedom" argument, but Texas (and surrounding states) does have the most people in prison of any state. I do feel like the police here are stricter than other states and the criminal justice system need work in the state....for me that brings the Texas "freedom points" down.
Open Carry is perfectly legal, and acceptable, in Texas. I've never run into any issues with anyone of any color legally carrying openly.

Texas has a ton of people. PER CAPITA, Texas is outranked by several states for number of people in prison. And not all those states are southern states, for the record. Also, the racial disparity is much more pronounced in MOST other states, including but not limited to, for instance, NY and CA which are two other states with large and diverse populations.
https://www.sentencingproject.org/the-facts/#map

Old 12-18-2020, 08:44 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Marijuana and liquor on Sundays, no, can't do that. Buy a Tesla from a showroom, no can't do that either . Open carry, don't even try it

I get the "freedom" argument, but Texas (and surrounding states) does have the most people in prison of any state. I do feel like the police here are stricter than other states and the criminal justice system need work in the state....for me that brings the Texas "freedom points" down.
1. 5150, you have a point.

2. You can always head to the bar and buy drinks on Sundays......

3. No Tesla showrooms but Texans buy lots of Teslas. It's #2 or 3 depending upon the source for Tesla sales.

4. You are wrong on OC. Just this morning I saw a guy OC'ing a sweet M-1911 (pretty sure it was Kimber UCP) at Home Depot.

5. Keeping criminals off the streets drove crime rates way down from say 25-30 years ago. It's a long accepted fact in criminology that about 1.1% of men over the long haul are responsible for well over half of ongoing violent criminal activity. Right now, nationwide, we are seeing the results of going soft on crime.

That said I think every state should be forced to empanel a team of lawyers to review all past convictions significantly based on "eyewitness" testimony. Pretty quickly patterns would appear and deep dives into past and current DAs/DA offices would be in order. There are just way too many cases in which DAs have withheld exculpatory evidence etc.

IMO every police force should use the Goldman Sachs employment rule and fire the bottom 5% of performers annually.

Old 12-18-2020, 10:58 AM

6,507 posts, read 7,538,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
1. 5150, you have a point.

2. You can always head to the bar and buy drinks on Sundays......

3. No Tesla showrooms but Texans buy lots of Teslas. It's #2 or 3 depending upon the source for Tesla sales.

4. You are wrong on OC. Just this morning I saw a guy OC'ing a sweet M-1911 (pretty sure it was Kimber UCP) at Home Depot.

5. Keeping criminals off the streets drove crime rates way down from say 25-30 years ago. It's a long accepted fact in criminology that about 1.1% of men over the long haul are responsible for well over half of ongoing violent criminal activity. Right now, nationwide, we are seeing the results of going soft on crime.

That said I think every state should be forced to empanel a team of lawyers to review all past convictions significantly based on "eyewitness" testimony. Pretty quickly patterns would appear and deep dives into past and current DAs/DA offices would be in order. There are just way too many cases in which DAs have withheld exculpatory evidence etc.

IMO every police force should use the Goldman Sachs employment rule and fire the bottom 5% of performers annually.
If anyone was going to correct me on #4 I am glad it was you, regarding your last statement...I would not be against this plus LEO should at a minimum have an Associates Degree...not just for education's sake but it also shows a level of maturity and commitment.

Old 12-18-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
If anyone was going to correct me on #4 I am glad it was you, regarding your last statement...I would not be against this plus LEO should at a minimum have an Associates Degree...not just for education's sake but it also shows a level of maturity and commitment.
Open Carry has been legal in Texas since January of 2016.
Quote:
Generally, Texas requires individuals to obtain a License to Carry (LTC) in order to carry handguns either openly or concealed.
Quote:
In January 2016, carrying a handgun openly became legal in Texas.

This law modified the previous handgun license law by eliminating the requirement that licensed handguns be carried in a concealed manner.

This means that somebody with a handgun license may choose to conceal it under clothing or wear it in a holster visible to others.
https://www.austintexas.gov/departme...ealed%20manner.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/02/u...ry-status.html
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...lice-brutalit/

Old 12-18-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Good post. Sorry my early post sounded so strident....didn't intend for that.

Old 12-18-2020, 02:03 PM

And as you know across much of the state OC of handguns has been sort of a county by county, city by city thing always. A long guns have been OC legal for many decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas