Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 01:10 PM

34 posts, read 79,727 times

Advertisements

Wife is American, I'm English. Having lived in London for three years together we decided that we wanted to move to the states. My wife is currently in Austin and I'lll be joining her once my visa gets processed.

Having lived in and around London most of my life I am a confirmed city boy. I don't like small towns, I do like to get out and enjoy nightlife and my wife is no different. That said I come from somewhere that has a summer that lasts all of maybe two weeks so I have every intention of enjoying an outdoors that isn't soggy or grey most of the year.

Both my wife and I can work remotely from anywhere, but wife wants to stay in Texas as her mum lives there.

So if you were 30 something, financially ok (but not rich), and enjoyed city living, where would you go in Texas.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 02:12 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Personally, I'd going to Houston or Dallas.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:43 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Since your wife is currently in Austin, you should move there and see what it is like. Then visit the other Cities to see how you like them. Downtown San Antonio has a lot to offer and has in my opinion a more interesting downtown city vibe then anything I have seen in Houston or Dallas.

There is lots of debate about this here https://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...-downtown.html

Last edited by CptnRn; 05-20-2011 at 03:08 PM..

Old 05-20-2011, 02:47 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Davro View Post
Wife is American, I'm English. Having lived in London for three years together we decided that we wanted to move to the states. My wife is currently in Austin and I'lll be joining her once my visa gets processed.

Having lived in and around London most of my life I am a confirmed city boy. I don't like small towns, I do like to get out and enjoy nightlife and my wife is no different. That said I come from somewhere that has a summer that lasts all of maybe two weeks so I have every intention of enjoying an outdoors that isn't soggy or grey most of the year.

Both my wife and I can work remotely from anywhere, but wife wants to stay in Texas as her mum lives there.

So if you were 30 something, financially ok (but not rich), and enjoyed city living, where would you go in Texas.

Cheers!
Well, considering your a "confirmed city boy" it looks like Dallas or Houston are your only real choices.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-20-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Since your wife is currently in Austin, you should move there and see what it is like. Then visit the other Cities to see how you like them. Downtown San Antonio has a lot to offer and has in my opinion a more interesting downtown city vibe then anything I have seen in Houston or Dallas.

There is lots of debate about this here https://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...-downtown.html
Yeah I saw that but it seemed to end up as 'my city's better than your city'.

Cheers though!

Old 05-20-2011, 04:30 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
You will find quite a few British ex-pats in Houston, brought by the energy industry and BP, if that adds any attraction. There is a reasonably good pub culture (as opposed to strictly bar and club-variety of nightlife, which exists in abundance throughout all the Texas cities) in the Montrose area of Houston and the Uptown area of Dallas. Outside of that, be prepared for culture shock, which may be a benefit, depending upon your perspective.

No city in Texas will be as walkable, historic or cultured as London. Few in the world are, though. If you're looking for the smoothest transition from there, it's a toss-up. Dallas and Houston offer similar levels of culture, nightlife and world-city appeal. Both, however, may disappoint a Londoner who likes big cities.

That's why I'd recommend Austin. It isn't a big world city, but it is a nice approximation of a big city with a lot of uniquely Texan charm. You will enjoy the outdoor lifestyle, cowboy nods to culture and real city amenities. It's a nice mix.

Good luck and welcome to Texas.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:30 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times
Austin or Dallas.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
You will find quite a few British ex-pats in Houston, brought by the energy industry and BP, if that adds any attraction. There is a reasonably good pub culture (as opposed to strictly bar and club-variety of nightlife, which exists in abundance throughout all the Texas cities) in the Montrose area of Houston and the Uptown area of Dallas. Outside of that, be prepared for culture shock, which may be a benefit, depending upon your perspective.

No city in Texas will be as walkable, historic or cultured as London. Few in the world are, though. If you're looking for the smoothest transition from there, it's a toss-up. Dallas and Houston offer similar levels of culture, nightlife and world-city appeal. Both, however, may disappoint a Londoner who likes big cities.

That's why I'd recommend Austin. It isn't a big world city, but it is a nice approximation of a big city with a lot of uniquely Texan charm. You will enjoy the outdoor lifestyle, cowboy nods to culture and real city amenities. It's a nice mix.

Good luck and welcome to Texas.
Thanks! And thanks for the reply.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:22 PM

594 posts, read 1,249,656 times
Austin or Houston

It's true that Austin is smaller but I can't say that I felt like I lacked in things to do there or that it was "small town". I loved living there and do miss it.

I moved to Houston after over a decade in Austin (in my early 30s too) and love it here too. Houston is big but you explore, discover, and find the spots that make it yours.

Plus if you want to get back over the pond for a visit or what not, Houston is better for that.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:50 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
I'd recommend Dallas for a Londoner. Better for your spot of tea, gov'na.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas