Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 01:59 PM

23 posts, read 45,963 times

Advertisements

Some quick background, I'm a 26 year old who will be graduating in May next year (2011) with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. I have lived about 10 minutes outside Philly for my entire life. I'm single, and have no real ties to this area so I wanted to take a risk and make a big change in my life.

I've done a lot of reading and based on what I have found Texas (Dallas,Houston) in particular seems like it could be a great fit for me. Many of the types of engineering jobs(Utilites/energy/aerospace) have a solid presence in these areas, the weather is hot which I like, good cost of living, plus its very far from anywhere I'm used to living(Want to be 100% on my own).

I really want to live in the city, basically walk out my apartment building, and there is the street kind of feel. Be able to walk to some stores, coffee shops, bars, etc. Someplace that is modern and filled with younger professionals, but not wild and crazy like a college town, more of a relaxed/artsy/laid back vibe.

If your familiar with Philadelphia the areas I love the most are Old City/Rittenhouse/Center City area. The rest of the areas I'm not a huge fan of either for the culture or crime rate obviously. Do any of the big cities in Texas have areas with that kind of vibe? Judging from comments they are not the types of cities you can go without a car, but I'd prefer to live in an area where I can do normal day to day errands/eating out without having to drive, having to drive to work or major retail centers is fine(So maybe a good 50/50 split). Being from Jersey if you want to go anywhere you have to drive which has gotten old fast.

Thanks for any insight and for bearing with my rather long post, I appreciate any help/tips that are offered. I'm open to many suggestions, as long as it doesn't involve me living in my current area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 03:12 PM

423 posts, read 825,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpieMarker View Post
I've done a lot of reading and based on what I have found Texas (Dallas,Houston) in particular seems like it could be a great fit for me. Many of the types of engineering jobs(Utilites/energy/aerospace) have a solid presence in these areas
Entry level jobs are hard to come by these days, even with an engineering degree, even in Texas.
I have some friends who graduated in May with mechanical engineering degrees and all of them ended up heading East as they actually were able to find better job opportunities there.

Quote:
Being from Jersey if you want to go anywhere you have to drive which has gotten old fast.
Same here. Austin is probably the only city I can think of that's "non-driving"-friendly.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:43 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,291,211 times
Quote:
I really want to live in the city, basically walk out my apartment building, and there is the street kind of feel. Be able to walk to some stores, coffee shops, bars, etc. Someplace that is modern and filled with younger professionals, but not wild and crazy like a college town, more of a relaxed/artsy/laid back vibe.
Do any of the big cities in Texas have areas with that kind of vibe? Judging from comments they are not the types of cities you can go without a car, but I'd prefer to live in an area where I can do normal day to day errands/eating out without having to drive, having to drive to work or major retail centers is fine(So maybe a good 50/50 split). Being from Jersey if you want to go anywhere you have to drive which has gotten old fast.
Those kinds of places aren't as prevalent in Texas as they are where you're from, although this "town-center" (example: https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...wn-center.html) thing is starting to catch on at least in Houston. Midtown Houston (Midtown Houston) is a closer fit for what you describe, but it's probable you will have to drive to work as our public transportation is basically still in development stage. I guess if you lived along the San Antonio Riverwalk, that would fit the bill, but that would be some high $$$. Ft Worth Sundance Square Fort Worth - Home has an awesome downtown like that with shops, bars, restaurants, a concert hall, etc. but I am not sure about the other things. All in all I think you can get most of what you want in Texas with some compromises. The biggest thing is you may get 70-80% of what you want, but will still have to drive for something. Still you will probably love it here. I've been to Philly in the summer long ago (sorry I'm not familiar with the neighborhoods there), and it felt about the same as here weather-wise. Nasty humidity haha!

Old 07-17-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
Entry level jobs are hard to come by these days, even with an engineering degree, even in Texas.
I have some friends who graduated in May with mechanical engineering degrees and all of them ended up heading East as they actually were able to find better job opportunities there.

Same here. Austin is probably the only city I can think of that's "non-driving"-friendly.
In terms of non driving I just mean it at least feels like a city. Where I can go to get food or do some shopping without always getting in a car. I would consider someplace where you drive 100% not really a "big city" I guess. Driving to work and major retail outlets like I said would be expected. Cities in texas are younger than back east, so I'm not expecting NYC/Philly levels of densely packed activities.

Entry level jobs are tough to come by anywhere with the economy as it is. I have a current internship I can transition into being full time if I find nothing, but I'll keep looking. I refuse to stay in this area for the rest of my life. Luckily I'm in a situation where I still live at home, so I can stay here for as long as needed working at my internship company till I find something in an area I like. Hopefully it won't take years since I have some very strong points on my resume.

Thanks for the input!

Old 07-17-2010, 05:58 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,237,387 times
Any of the four cities... San Antonio, Austin, Dallas or Houston will have areas to satisfy your design, somewhat. You're right about the lack of density but at least you understand the differences betweem Jersey and Texas. Shows your attitude is in the right place to take the adventure.

Bear in mind that next year NASA may be going belly up, putting a lot of engineers in the Houston area ahead of you.

We'll see you next summer. Bring cash.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:59 PM

In the mean time, send off for your FREE ! ! ! copy of the Texas Travel Guide so by time you get here you'll know where you are.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Any of the four cities... San Antonio, Austin, Dallas or Houston will have areas to satisfy your design, somewhat. You're right about the lack of density but at least you understand the differences betweem Jersey and Texas. Shows your attitude is in the right place to take the adventure.

Bear in mind that next year NASA may be going belly up, putting a lot of engineers in the Houston area ahead of you.

We'll see you next summer. Bring cash.
Thanks, I'm actually open to any of the 4 major cities, Just mentioned Houston and Dallas since they are the largest. I guess basically some urban areas that I can walk around in, but not all high rises. Sure Center City Philly has a lot to too but its all high rises, I prefer the older sections with local bars and small homes. So something close to that would be great. Basically I want to live in the more dense urban sections, and go outside of that as need be. A good mix is always nice, I'm glad that the cities are not dominated only just high rise commercial buildings. I'm planning on flying down to one of the cities by the end of the year to get a in person feel.

Well if the job market for engineers ends up terrible, I can always consider someplace else, just is that Texas seems like a good fit. Do you mean cash so you can pay for moving, rent, expenses? If so I'll easily have what I estimate to be 6 months of living expenses saved by next year... I have been planning moving for awhile.

Thank You.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:54 PM

Cash... just good to have handy.

For your visit, in Dallas you want to see Uptown and Oak Lawn. Maybe check out Greenville. In Houston, Montrose and Midtown. In Austin maybe SoCo (South Congress) south of downtown. In San Antonio... haven't been there since I was born, don't plan to return.

The forum can fill in the blanks between now and then.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:00 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,631,537 times
San Antonio has a few mixed use developments like Pearl Brewery development and La Cantera

Port San Antonio: Home

Pearl Brewery

Untitled document

Old 07-18-2010, 07:30 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,570,969 times
Quote:

Well if the job market for engineers ends up terrible, I can always consider someplace else, just is that Texas seems like a good fit. Do you mean cash so you can pay for moving, rent, expenses? If so I'll easily have what I estimate to be 6 months of living expenses saved by next year... I have been planning moving for awhile.

Thank You.
Line up the job, First. That was FIRST.

I am an EE -- overall the market is very Hit and Miss. May be something(s) one week, and nothing again for days or weeks. Check Indeed.com -- it scans nationwide or any local market -- covers most classified ad source, and all the big boards, except craigslist, I think. Understand that many listings are duplicates.

You need the cash for when the job/business crashes, does not pay or whatever else can go wrong in hard times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas