Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,474 times

Advertisements

My husband has nursing job offers in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin. We are not very familiar with Texas and don't have a lot of time to decide which job he will take. We have four young children that we homeschool. We like to visit zoos and museums, but wouldn't mind driving an hour or two to visit them. I'd love to hear the negatives and positives of each city. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 11:25 AM

517 posts, read 1,053,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocatingtotexas View Post
My husband has nursing job offers in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin. We are not very familiar with Texas and don't have a lot of time to decide which job he will take. We have four young children that we homeschool. We like to visit zoos and museums, but wouldn't mind driving an hour or two to visit them. I'd love to hear the negatives and positives of each city. Thanks!
Holy Cow!

Not much to go on. Four Kids? A nursing job?

Do you have a good car, how far do you want to commute?

Are you ready for humidity?

Is the pay the same in all the cities?

Do you like hiking, or hiking out?

My first guess, if you can afford it, if the job location allows it, go to Austin. From there you can run up and down the freeway to Dallas and San Antonio, but Austin is a higher cost of living area. Houston is less expensive.

Additionally, the Med Center in Houston is world class. If he is really interested in medicine, then the Med Center is the place to be. Not saying the other areas are not good, but the Med Center is where people head when the going gets rough.

On the other hand, Dallas is an awesome city with fresh water lakes around it. It is classier than Houston and give up very little to it in the way of medicine. It is more expensive, but the humidity that will cause you to grow gills is not there.

San Antonio is a fine city, not as large as Houston or the Dallas Metro Plex. However, it is not the cheap place it used to be. While still not expensive, it is growing and there is some pressure there.

I am sorry I can't be of more help, I tend to avoid cities. Too many people in them you know.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 02-07-2013, 12:52 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,106,539 times
San Antonio has the lowest cost of living and lots of recreational opportunities. Warmer then DFW, less humid than Houston. Great access to the Hill Country, lakes, rivers, swimming holes, Kerrville, Lost Maples State park, and not terribly far from the coast when you want to visit the beach.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...-ten-best.html

"Per capita, San Antonio has five times as many libraries and museums as Austin; seven times as many as Houston."

https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...iest-city.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...6-top-ten.html

The housing and rental markets in Austin are very tight and expensive (for Austin) because so many people have been moving there.

You can look up and compare the data on the various cities here https://www.city-data.com/city/Texas.html

Last edited by CptnRn; 02-07-2013 at 02:16 PM..

Old 02-07-2013, 01:06 PM

692 posts, read 856,801 times
1. If allergies are a factor, AVOID DALLAS. They'll get worse. Much, much worse.
2. I'm not a fan of Austin - the people seem notably less friendly than elsewhere in-state in my experience. Anecdotal, ymmv.
3. All of these cities have plenty to do. Houston is more dangerous but probably edges the others out in terms of total number and quality of parks, including cool goofy pro-kid stuff like the Texas Renaissance Fair.

If I were doing Texas over, I'd either head towards a second-tier city (not on your menu), or else go SA/Houston right now.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:17 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,061,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
San Antonio has the lowest cost of living and lots of recreational opportunities. Warmer then DFW, less humid than Houston. Great access to the Hill Country, lakes, rivers, swimming holes, Kerrville, Lost Maples State park, and not terribly far from the coast when you want to visit the beach.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...-ten-best.html

"Per capita, San Antonio has five times as many libraries and museums as Austin; seven times as many as Houston."

https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...iest-city.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...6-top-ten.html

The housing and rental markets in Austin are very tight and expensive because so many people have been moving there.

You can look up and compare the data on the various cities here https://www.city-data.com/city/Texas.html
I'm sure there may be smaller cities with higher per capita museums than NYC or Chi, but would you honestly tell people it's better? San Antonio may win on theme park type activities, but Houston's it for museums, even has a whole district of them. Kids and adults alike love the HMNS, no wonder it's one of the most visited in the country and attracts some of the world's best traveling exhibits.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:42 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,179,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocatingtotexas View Post
When you say he has offers in Dallas, Houston, Austin, and SA are those hospitals in those cities? For instance, in Dallas is it a hospital downtown like Parkland, or a hospital in one of the burbs, like Presbyterian in Plano? I think that might make a difference. Also, if you can list the hospitals, some people can weigh in on that. Personally I would never work at Parkland and I'm not even in the medical field. I've been a few times and it's just not a place I enjoyed visiting.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:14 PM

Stephwin's point is a very, VERY good one. If you can provide us with details like that, it would help us to help you. His examples are miles apart in terms of quality of employment and working environment.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:25 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,640,884 times
I will relay info in Houston area as I am definitely more in the know about H-town than your other prospective cities.

I am 99% sure the hourly pay in Houston will be the best. I am an RN and work in Beaumont(90 miles east of Houston) and our pay scale is driven by the Houston market pretty much and I make more than I would make in any of Texas' major metro areas except Houston adn equal with Dallas/FW. I think this is because of The Medical Center in Houston and the thousands of hospital beds in those 15 hospitals. Demand for experienced nurses is high and the opportunity for professional advancement/enhancement is magnificent. Very cutting edge treatment modalities are pioneered there. There is nothing like it in the world.

Texas Medical Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Houston humidity has been beat to death on these boards but if you want opinions do the search ... it is the pits! You'll have to develop coping strategies. We use pool time, lake time, and beach time (in that order) also with heavy emphasis on the AC when at home which not only cools the air but also dehumidifies it.

I agree with the above posts that encourage more info from you. What kind of climate are you accustomed to. When you ask about "Houston" please realize that it + the metro area is nearly 50 miles across (starting at Baytown and going west to Katy. The museum district in Houston is wonderful as is the zoo. There is also the historic San Jacinto Battleground and the Battleship Texas open for tours. You are reasonably near the coast and the forests of East Texas with several huge lakes. Houston lacks any environmental beauty though.

A good mode of personal transportation is a must in Texas. Everything is far apart.

One other note ... my wife moved here from cold, dry Canada in 1994 ... she has adapted and repeatedly refuses to move back up north despite missing her family a lot. She likes it here.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 2,474 times
Thanks! He only applied to Children's Hospitals, so...Dell in Austin, Methodist Children's in San Antonio, Texas Children's in Houston, and Dallas Children's. He also doesn't mind driving about 30min to work.

We are leaning toward Austin or San Antonio. Houston pays a little better...but surprisingly not much. San Antonio and Austin's pays are comparable.

We are both originally from the Northeast. We lived in D.C. for a few years, and have lived in North Carolina for the past 4 years. Neither of us likes the cold, but I don't particularly like humidity either.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:50 AM

Houston is a no-go, then. It's humidity is VERY high. SA stays warm, Austin *usually* stays warm but can occasionally get a winter snap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas