Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:15 AM

241 posts, read 1,179,011 times

Advertisements

As many of us are aware the Texas primary is March 4th, early voting begins February 19th. It seems as though the democratic party is relying on Texas to be the deciding factor. As of today, February 13th, Barack Obama is now the leader by a small margin. There are a few states he is expected to take before it becomes Texas' turn to decide.

Do you think Texas will sway the votes so Hillary Clinton wins?

Do you think if Mike Huckabee wins Texas he has a chance at passing John McCain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 08:27 AM

42 posts, read 177,551 times
Regarding Huckabee: From the AP "now needs 950 delegates to secure the required 1,191. But in the remaining contests there are only 774 delegates available. He would need to win 123 percent of remaining delegates." McCain is the nominee, regardless of the outcome from Texas.

For the libs, Hillary might win, but it won't be by a large margin. Because of the remaining states (a lot of Obama friendly caucuses), she needs to win Ohio and Texas by a large margin. If Hillary wins Texas and Ohio, and then likely Pennsylvania, it will probably lead to the contest being decided by uper delegates.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:42 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,720,846 times
This is making me pull my hair out!! Not the thread The race ! My sister is so disgusted with the whole Repub party mess she almost didn't want to vote, but now is changing her mind to go the "Lesser Evil" Route because she's afraid Obama will win the whole shebang. I'm not a Democrat, but like Hillary better for some reason. I'm starting to put more stock in the Congressional Race at this point.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2005 View Post
Regarding Huckabee: From the AP "now needs 950 delegates to secure the required 1,191. But in the remaining contests there are only 774 delegates available. He would need to win 123 percent of remaining delegates." McCain is the nominee, regardless of the outcome from Texas.

Well this confuses me, why isn't he already the winner? If he already has a majority of the delegates required to win, why do they need 1,191?

Old 02-13-2008, 09:12 AM

212 posts, read 1,155,045 times
I like Hillary and Obama, but when it comes to choosing between them I'm favoring Hillary. I've seen the debates, been to the websites, and taken the candidate chooser quizes, and they generally come out equal.
I'm currently favoring Hillary because of her experience, because Obama will still be young enough to run in 8 years, and (yes) because she's a woman. Since both candidates fall out about equal for me on the issues, I think it would be so neat for my daughter to see a woman as president for the first president she'll really be aware of.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:37 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,030,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlosmTX View Post
I like Hillary and Obama, but when it comes to choosing between them I'm favoring Hillary. I've seen the debates, been to the websites, and taken the candidate chooser quizes, and they generally come out equal.
I'm currently favoring Hillary because of her experience, because Obama will still be young enough to run in 8 years, and (yes) because she's a woman. Since both candidates fall out about equal for me on the issues, I think it would be so neat for my daughter to see a woman as president for the first president she'll really be aware of.
I agree with you, Blosm. I was watching one of Hillary's speeches on TV and she said that when her mother was born, women didn't even have the right to vote! For once, we have a strong, capable woman running for president and I am just thrilled! I KNOW she would do a fabulous job!

And I'm excited that for once our Texas votes have a part to play!!!

Old 02-13-2008, 11:07 AM

42 posts, read 177,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick4Life View Post
Well this confuses me, why isn't he already the winner? If he already has a majority of the delegates required to win, why do they need 1,191?
You have to have 1191 to win the nomination. McCain, right now has around 850 and Huckabee around 250. There are less than 800 delegates left to be awarded, so even if Huckabee were to win every delegate left he would not be the nominee. Most of the states left reward delegates proportionally, so McCain just needs to perform decently in the remaining states to get the required number of delegates. The fact that there is no way Huckabee could get there is the reason a lot of people are calling for him to drop out.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,153,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2005 View Post
The fact that there is no way Huckabee could get there is the reason a lot of people are calling for him to drop out.
I think Huckabee is still in the race because TPTB want him there. He keeps conservatives from looking too closely at McCain and pining for alternatives too soon before the convention. As long as "their guy" is still in the race, they know that there's a place in the party for them. Since there are a lot of primaries still to come, it's important to keep the party faithful interested so that they'll vote in November rather than sitting at home.

On the Dem side, i think Hillary will win in Texas, but not by much. Since it's not a winner take all situation in the delegate count, it won't help her cause much.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:38 AM

I have heard multiple views on this topic:

Republicans don't particularly like McCain and Democrats don't particularly like McCain. Why? Because Republicans are right winged and Democrats are left. Democrats want to pull even further to the left with this election, and Republicans want to stay more to the right. McCain seems to want to make it more neutral... do you follow me? What do you think?

Old 02-13-2008, 11:50 AM

41 posts, read 216,099 times
To know the truth about any candidate, you need to see their voting records, and also any legislation they have introduced. For example, look up Obama's Global Tax Proposal, which gives the UN control over an $845M increase in U S taxpayer money being spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: