Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 02:37 PM

315 posts, read 1,008,372 times

Advertisements

Lisa, everything is looking great. I love the pic. of the snow. It is so nice to see it white, no slush. LOL I to am worried about Mike. You tell him we all told him to take it easy. I can't wait until the canning starts. I have been wanting to learn how to can. Not one person in my family, that I know of has canned. I will be learning as you go along. Keep up the good work.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:06 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,649,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
JoshB-My tooth is doing fine, thank you for asking. What has your mother been canning? Thanks for your concern for Mike. He is very healthy just not as young as he used to be. Me neither.

I think she's just doing pickles? I can't recall I just remember picking up some canning jars with her.

Glad to hear your tooth is doing good!

Old 01-15-2009, 09:54 AM

3 posts, read 10,752 times
Default Gardening, etc.

Hey Lisa -- I've been following your thread for months -- thanks so much for sharing your 'adventure' - you are so blessed to be able to follow your dream. Regarding veggie gardening, order your seed catalogs - I promise, going through them will definitely take up some of the time you have to spend inside! Organic is best - that way you don't get all those genetically modified 'experiments' and hybrids. I use www.seedsavers.org and www.territorialseed.com mostly, but also order some from www.seedsofchange.com and www.johnnyseeds.com. Seedsavers specializes in 'heirloom' varieties (the ones passed down from your great-great grandmother's time). I know other companies have them too. Don't do like I do every year though....I just can't help ordering all kinds of great looking seeds, and then can't fit them all in my garden (I have 4 4x12 raised beds, along with another area for my strawberries - which the deer LOVE). You might want to try starting a couple bee hives for pollenation (and honey!) Honey bees are in big trouble these days, and we need more beekeepers who are willing to raise bees WITHOUT chemicals. I'm starting two hives in the spring, but have assembled and painted my equipment/hives so they are ready for when I get my bees in April. If you're interested, check out www.brushymountainbeefarm.com or Dadant & Sons Beekeeping Supplies and Candles. There are lots of beekeepers in your area who can help you get started. Anyway, all those catalogs will keep you plenty busy!

Old 01-15-2009, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 7,251 times
Default Coldest day

Lisa,
I am a reporter for Wcyb-TV in Bristol and was wondering if we could do a story about your place as tomorrow January 16 will be one of the coldest days in years. I think it would be great to talk about being off the grid while the rest of the world is watching their electric meters spin.

Thanks,
Jim Conrad
Wcyb-TV
276-645-1522
423-943-5039

Old 01-15-2009, 01:44 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,364,332 times
Wow, Are you going to let Jim interview you?
Pam

Old 01-15-2009, 04:09 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,242,166 times
Oh Lisa I hope you let them interview you! Look how many on here are following your updates, more and more people are going to be searching for alternatives to living. I don't know of 2 finer people to spread the news!

Old 01-15-2009, 06:24 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,826,822 times
Lisa, it might not be a bad idea to invite one of Howard's cows inside for the next couple of days to help y'all stay warm! Seriously, though, I hope your place remains cozy during what's expected to be the coldest spell we've had in several years.

I was in your neck of the woods yesterday, drove from Kingsport to Mountain City via Shady Valley, then through Laurel Bloomery up to Damascus, VA for a brisk night walk on the Creeper Trail. Loved seeing those snow-covered mountains up close!

Old 01-15-2009, 06:29 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,478,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
Lisa, it might not be a bad idea to invite one of Howard's cows inside for the next couple of days to help y'all stay warm! Seriously, though, I hope your place remains cozy during what's expected to be the coldest spell we've had in several years.

I was in your neck of the woods yesterday, drove from Kingsport to Mountain City via Shady Valley, then through Laurel Bloomery up to Damascus, VA for a brisk night walk on the Creeper Trail. Loved seeing those snow-covered mountains up close!

I feel really bad for the cows. They don't have any kind of shelter. We told Howard he could put the cows in the barn but he says it makes them less hardy. The poor things.

Our house is great. We have the fireplace on low in the evenings but we shut it off when we go to bed. We just don't need any heat which is so cool.

You were very close to us yesterday. Actually you drove right past our other property.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:22 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,965,150 times
I sure hope WCYB has an online stream - I would love to check out that story!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 07:23 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,826,822 times
I hate that about the cows. They're very hardy but they're also vulnerable to hypothermia, especially if they get wet and have no shelter from the wind. Fortunately the wind's not too bad tonight, but the "real feel" temperature may still drop to -15 or so by early morning...good luck, cows!

At least it sounds like y'all will stay nice and toasty, which is good to hear. I thought of your house when I read this article recently:
No Furnaces but Heat Aplenty in 'Passive Houses'

Last edited by kamoshika; 01-15-2009 at 07:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee