Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 10:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,781 posts, read 58,251,797 times

Advertisements

I just dealt with a culvert problem, but fortunately it was at the road entrance, so the county came and finished it for me. (using some of my $33/ day property tax ) They brought the 'suction truck' 35 miles out to my place (edge of the county) and did 3 (30') culverts for me + 12' of approach on each side, in about 15 minutes. It has water + suction and can suck-up 8" dia rocks. It sure beats my trackhoe for trenching, as the power and phone lines don't get all ripped out

I WAS using a long handled 'tile-spade' with 20' extension pipes for handles. I was able to get a Schedule 40 plastic pipe (i.e. light) that fit over the handle and I bolted it on in a couple spots. I also outfitted a garden hoe with same type handle, to drag stuff out.

It helps to get it started with a small 'through' hole and then hope you get some rain and CLEAN runoff. (it is tough to get the qty of water you need to 'flush' a culvert, I tried it with a pressurized water truck, which was a very slow process.

BUT... you definately need to improve the approaches. The rip-rap is good to have lining ditch within 20 ft, and vegetation further upstream. There are some low growing 'fine' varieties to keep the stalks from causing blockage. Vine type ground cover works well too, as the multiple roots trap lots of silt. If there is any chance of debris (sticks / basketballs, whiskey jugs,,,) coming down the ditch, then you build yourself an inclined 'cattle guard' of sorts to 'screen the entrance'. You want the bars running vertical, and minimal or no cross braces in the region of culvert entrance. I like to use 3/8" x 3" bar stock placed vertical on 3" spacing, about 4' long, bury the 'inlet side a few inches. With shallow enough incline it allows refuse to push up the 4' ramp and it becomes 'self-cleaning', you just come along with the loader after the storm and gather the brush pile from above your guard. (it really helps if you have a clamshell bucket or Hyd arms on bucket to 'grab' your debris, you will want one of these for 'clearing and burning brush anyway)

In the meantime... with visions of spring rains... I would get the approach ditch deepened and use some truck tires (that won't fit through the culvert !! ) to line the ditch. If you get it deep enough the tires will trap the muck, and you can later line ditch with rock (over top of the tires).

BTW, tires make it quite nice to do landscaping walls (since you live on a hillside, as do I...) you can plant vine-y ground cover that will nicely cascade over the tires, then you will never see them again ! The tires are cheap, (free) ez to move when building, and you can have fun sculpting curvy walls. I also use ECO blocks (cement 2'x2'x6') that the concrete companies make with 'returns' (trucks coming back with excess yardage). I got the last batch for $25 each, but they are often $75. They weigh ~ 4000# so you need a pretty good size truck (semi with double trailer preferred) to haul them and loader / trackhoe to unload them. They make building a wall go very fast.

Good luck... (I hope I have the energy to do your type of project again...) We had our kids each build rural homes for 'homeschool' projects, and I got burnt out from helping + doing a few of my own. I always do passive solar and walkout basments, so am used to tromping around in the mud, and being a 'water run-off' engineer when the first winter rains come.

My favorite tool is a circa 1975 Case 'Track-loader' (bulldozer / loader / backhoe combination) I have got GOBs of use from this $7500 investment. I have a 5 ft 'brush-hog' that mounts to the front so I can clear brush on steep hillsides, very handy. And it sips diesel (or bio) fuel... 1 gal / hr

Old 01-04-2009, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 7,888 times
Default west by god virginia

[quote=harborlady;5518612]Lisa and Mike-

My holler is sister to yours in WV. The acreage is still very reasonably priced here, and the salt of the earth folks really stole my heart. My honey once pointed at the great smoky mtns and said-- 'Maw, how about right over there?' 'Yes Paw, but... it's a wee nip over budget'. Gatlinburg Tn isn't the likely place to welcome DIY windmills. NC real estate has also gotten too exclusive in price and the HOA crowd is flocking there. I also chose WV for growing zone 4 (maps available at USDA online if you want to see what's practical to grow in your area).

Harborlady and Mike and Lisa:
rediscovered Mike and Lisa's thread this week...had it saved as a favorite way back in august but Lisa's early chapter photos would not load on my computer so reading the thread and her chapters was frustrating...so this week went back to the beginning and all the photos loaded so I began again from the start...got to harborlady's comments and had to log in to comment for the first time
Mike and Lisa:
ditto on all the comments so far...I have nothing to say that has not been said already by Tin Man or RSMTN or HeyNow999 or other frequent posters about your endeavor but I will say Keep On Truckin'...it is fascinating to follow you and Mike now that I can view the photos
Harborlady:
have been looking at TN property for many moons now to purchase with or without an grid tied existing structure but two weeks ago, I discovered W by god V or that is how a friend always referred to it...and WV property has really sparked a new search...so this won't stray off-topic, harborlady please if you feel lilke chatting about WV please send me a message cos I would like visit (electronically speaking) with you about my research into purchasing WV property

Old 01-05-2009, 07:49 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,436,576 times
Default Chapter 39 Week of 12-29-08

Good morning everyone and Happy New Year. I hope you all had a safe and enjoyable holiday.

This week was a big accomplishment for Mike and I. We finished the "construction" on the inside of the house. Woo hoo. Now that's what I call a happy new year.

Monday 12-29
After the busy week last week doing ceiling and sheetrock we ended up with bags and bags of garbage. So first thing this morning it's off to the dump. It will be so nice to get the house emptied out and cleaned up.

On our way back home we stopped at the local furniture store to look for a day bed or a sofa bed. Oh no, we are looking for furniture again. Yuk.
They didn't have many options in the store and we looked through all their catalogs. Boy they make some ugly stuff, LOL. Here is a picture of one that Mike and I both like.

Discount Quality Furniture | Bennett Place Daybeds (http://www.discountqualityfurniture.com/Manufacturers/Coaster/Bennett-Place-Daybeds/?launch_pg=ProductPage&launch_sel=1016077&launch_p g_sp=true - broken link)

We aren't sure because we don't like that the second bed doesn't pop up.

Then we went back home dropped the trailer off, made some coffee, and headed back to town again. While Mike went to an appointment he dropped me at the library. My favorite place.

We got home late but now it's time to get serious and get the last of the house done. We emptied out the office including all the tools, the work bench, a ladder, all the paint, etc. and put it all in the living area.

Now we are ready to sand and paint.

Tuesday 12-30
I walked out of the bedroom this morning and it looked like a tornado hit. We have to get done because this mess will drive us crazy.

Mike and I both go into the office with our sanding paper and close the door(to try and limit the dust throughout the house). First we cover the electrical components and the cabinets with sheets for protection and then we get to work. Mike is on the ladder sanding high and I am sanding low. You know what that means? It means I am getting covered in spackle dust. We finish sanding both closets and it looks like a whiteout. We take a break, close the door, and let the dust settle.

On to the bathroom to do the same thing. We take everything out and cover up the rest. We finish the sanding in there and go back to the office. In the office we start a major clean up. We sweep down the walls, sweep the floors, and then mop the floor.

Next we clean up the bathroom and Mike puts the last coat of spackle on the closets. We wait until late that night for the spackle to dry and we do it all again. Another dusty mess but we are done with sanding and spackling. Woo hoo.

Mike condensed all the spackle into a smaller container and got rid of the big 5 gallon bucket. He also finished installing all of the floor trim. We get all the supplies ready and Mike starts painting the first coat with the tinted drywall primer.

He paints both closets in the office and the bathroom closet. After the primer dries he goes back and paints the last coat with the interior paint. While Mike was painting I followed along with a bucket of water to clean up any spills and drips. It goes much faster with us working together.

Wednesday 12-31
We are done with the closets and they look good. Next Mike cuts out the extra shelves for my pantry and I re-do it. Yeah, I got rid of the plastic containers.

Now that most of the work is done we can take almost all of the tools out of the house and up to the building. We need to empty out and do a major clean to get rid of all the construction dust. I start cleaning the back rooms while Mike brings stuff up to the building. Then he helps me move the furniture out of the living room so I can really clean. Wow it's starting to look like a Mike and Lisa house which means it looks like no one lives here, lol. Just the way we like with everything put away and in it's place.

Thursday 1-1
Wow it's the first day of the New Year and everything is neat and clean. We got a call from our old neighbor from NC. Our property used to back up to her property when we lived there years ago. Anyway she stopped by with her grandson for a visit. It was great to see Marsha and Jacob. We haven't seen her in about a year so we had a nice time. She brought our first housewarming gift a very nice painting that she painted.

Friday 1-2
Today we drove to the bigger town to look for a desk, more daybed options and more accessories for the house. We stopped at 8 different stores and we bombed out. We bought absolutely nothing. I guess it was a bad time to go being it was right after the holidays. We will have to wait for a re-stock of items in the stores. It's just the same old, same old.

Saturday 1-3
Today was a mixed day. It wasn't nice enough to work outside and we didn't have much to do inside.

Mike started out by going around the house and caulking all the floor trim.
Next he screwed down my counter top from underneath. Something we never finished.

Then he caulked the kitchen counter top.

I also asked Mike if he could look at the kitchen clock to see if he could take it apart and paint the hands. The clock has a silver background and silver hands. We can't read it. So my miracle man took it apart and painted the hands black. Ah much better. Now I can see the clock.

Next Mike took all the 5 gallon buckets of paint and strained the paint and poured it into smaller containers. Everyday we get more and more organized.

Sunday 1-4
We woke up and it was raining but after breakfast the sun came out and it was beautiful. Time to open up the doors and air out.

Mike got the nice weather bug and he disappeared outside. I stayed in doing laundry and I cleaned my armoire and organized my clothes.

Howard and his son, Eric showed up to feed the cows so Mike went down to talk with them.

It was a nice relaxing day. Our office is complete except for the furniture and the floor trim still needs touch up paint. This is the area for the day bed.

And the area for our desk.

Things will really be slowing down for us until the weather breaks. We have a ton of projects to do outside. We need just a few nice days in a row.

I hope you enjoyed our story. I know things are slowing down but I will keep you updated. Have a great week and I will write again next Monday.

Lisa

Old 01-05-2009, 08:54 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,882,669 times
Question Day bed - Estate / moving sales.?

Good report / update Y.L. Yes today must be Monday, but with football on tv everyday now, one needs to double check the newspapers.
We struckout last year in all the stores looking for a Day Bed option. Clerks said not popular enough to stock new ones anymore. We did find a very nice quality at a upscale neighborhood garage sale. Paid $100 for dark WOOD & Brass detail that still had the $ 385 ticket on post . Lady still had to buy Two nice matteress for it .
Needed two trips in the pickup truck ,which was good & we were in no rush. Got the bottom POP-Up section a month later. Actually have one in each spare room. Even watch newspapers classified ads for people moving .
Plan "B" for us high tech Geeks is place a WANTED ad on ":Craigslist" near your city. Look also in their furniture ads.
Plan "C" would be a nice Offer from another forum member. Heck only about 800 people are reading your story.
Luv.

Last edited by SPLIT; 01-05-2009 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: more info

Old 01-05-2009, 10:12 AM

1,293 posts, read 5,010,465 times
A Murphy bed might be a good, space saving idea - but would be a bit more expensive than a day bed....

Old 01-05-2009, 12:22 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,310,645 times
I do like the daybed (trundel bed?) you picked out, but I am like you as far as it not popping up. We have one at the lake house and it pops up - makes a nice sleeping area. Everything's lookin so good, y'all!

Old 01-05-2009, 12:52 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,589,405 times
We were talking a few weeks ago about trying to get you two and your house on HGTV or DIY network. Today I was watching a channel I hadn't thought of, but there's Green Planet. It's another branch of Discovery Channel, but I'm going to see if there's another contact for them and send them your story. One thing about if you get to show your home on TV. Then we might actually get to see more of Mike than just his back! lol

Old 01-05-2009, 02:39 PM

27 posts, read 155,674 times
Lisa did screwup on one of her updates and showed his side profile and part of Mikes face LOL. Regards all and keep warm Scott

Old 01-05-2009, 02:58 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,436,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-moorlygho1 View Post
Lisa did screwup on one of her updates and showed his side profile and part of Mikes face LOL. Regards all and keep warm Scott
Gee thanks you wise guys. Don't forget whose writing this story.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:23 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,310,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-moorlygho1 View Post
I don't consider that a screw up! Just pride in ownership!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee