Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 06:27 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,499,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
I don't consider that a screw up! Just pride in ownership!!!

Thank you Kat.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:45 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,715,076 times
Lisa, you're doing a great job. I look forward to Mondays now because I know you'll post an update. Good luck in your search for a bed. I have every confidence that you'll find just the right one if you're patient. Best wishes and Happy New Year!

Old 01-06-2009, 01:04 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,482,725 times
Lisa, I would bet that furniture styles will change. Most people are sick of the ostentatious styles of the recent past. Or they will change if someone is paying attention.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:32 AM

710 posts, read 1,967,476 times
If you can wait on the daybed, I think you should, until you find exactly what you want. It's a bit of a pain but the only reason you should "settle" is because you have to have something right away. It never fails: The minute you settle for less than what you want, your perfect bed will turn up. If you are anticipating guests, maybe an inflatable bed for the meantime? Those always come in handy for overflow situations anyway, so it wouldn't be a wasted purchase.

I don't think it's boring. I like your floor. Isn't it a vinyl that is made to look like hardwood? That's pretty slick!

Old 01-06-2009, 08:05 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,499,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordy View Post
It never fails: The minute you settle for less than what you want, your perfect bed will turn up

Isn't that always the way ha, ha.

I like your floor. Isn't it a vinyl that is made to look like hardwood? That's pretty slick!
Yes our floor is an Armstrong vinyl. We love it. It is so easy to keep clean.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:32 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,481,233 times
I met Lisa on a food thread today and she included the link to this thread. I've just spent over 4 hours reading from end to beginning.

Lisa, this has been an enthralling read all the way through. As many others have suggested, you really should seek having this story told on HGTV, DIY, or the like. As well as a book. The book sales would more than pay for your whole project imo. Thank-you for your generous sharing of your adventure!!!

I don't have much to add as it's all behind you now, but I am an interior redesigner, so I have a suggestion for your office/guest room. Others have mentioned a Murphy bed for a solution. If you google Murphy beds, you will find some wonderful sites that will build to your specifications, but with the talent Mike has, you could also order the parts online and he could make the unit himself. Thrifty is as thrifty does, right?

Thanks again for the info on the Ball's preserving book. I'll be off to order that now that I've finished reading your story!

Congratulations to both of you on a job most wonderfully done and a story most marvelously documented and told. *clink*

I'm looking forward to reading on now in the future to what you do for landscaping and vegetable gardens.

OH! I do have one question... it appears your sliding glass doors are your only entry points into your home. Have you plans for an overhead cover so you don't get soaked in inclement weather?

All best,
Gale

Old 01-07-2009, 11:45 PM

17,665 posts, read 22,766,354 times
Have a Wonderful Year/Life...sister/brother...L&M

Take Care...................Grizz..............

Old 01-08-2009, 03:39 AM

30 posts, read 110,688 times
I second it. I really feel that if more people knew how to build a house like yours, there would be more being built.

No way possible are we in a situation we could live off the grid but it sure is fun to read your posts and know it is possible to live that way.

Your story is so appreciative. Thank you so much for sharing.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:20 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,256,050 times
Praise the Lord the creek didn't rise I have made it to the mountain top (end of the thread)! Lisa knows but I am on dial up so it has taken me well over a week to read this thread. I have to click on each red "x" in order for her wonderful pictures to show up but it has been worth it. I am saying this for any other dial users this thread is so worth waiting on the load time to see and read ya all!

Lisa as I told you I was making a list of questions a long the way but you so kindly answered most of them. Want you to know tinman wasn't the only one who noticed the red cover on the front of your house. Have a couple I don't recall answers to so when you feel better from your root canal maybe you can answer if you want to.

~~~Why no bathtub because of water usage? I love my long soaks in our tub so that popped out to me right away.

~~~Your built-ins for your W&D is there enough space to pull them out for repairs? Is that closet vented by your clothes dryer vent? One more are you leaving the closet door open while you are using the dryer?

~~~I notice in some of your photos the microwave and under cabinet lights are unplugged do you unplug things when not in use? I know you got appliances with no clocks (I hate them too) so not to use electricity but do yours draw juice when left plugged in?

~~~Bummer the cows got to stay in your house before you did. Glad #98 got to go to a pasture to have pleasures instead of the sale truck. We tried not to bring up our freezer cow very early from the pasture to the barn because when the kids named it, petted it then they would not eat beef for weeks after butchering.

~~~I have Pella windows all throughout my house love them with the blinds in the middle. Easy to clean, they all tip in and don't have blinds flipping when we open windows in the spring.

Have so enjoyed the hard labor Mike and you have shared with us all tell him he is every wife's dream boat! You are so lucky to have a "honey do" guy right in the house that actually gets it done! You go girl!

Can't wait for the gardening pictures to come as neat as you all have been in building your place. It will be awesome I am sure. You know I am here for you with any canning questions!

Tell Nicole that was an awesome Christmas gift she made for you what a jewel to have, both the daughter and the book!

Old 01-09-2009, 07:20 AM

21 posts, read 45,612 times
Just wanted to pop in and say that you guys are an inspiration! I have been keeping up with your story since the beginning and like the others look forward to Monday to read the next chapter. You have done an amazing job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee