Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 12:28 AM

668 posts, read 2,189,982 times

Advertisements

Men don't know about clothes lines ROTFLOL!!! Lisa, I just cant WAIT till you show us a picture of a few comforters, and sheets on THAT THING!!! I've seen a few contraptions like that, but, thank the LORD have never had to use one of those gadgets I reckon thats what they make clothes dyers for, even though it would put a strain on your 'utilities', so thats more of an option for you...BUT, I still think Mikes idea of a 20 foot clothes line on pulleys is a lot better... My Cousins have that, and they attached it to a very tall tree, and, theirs is 120 feet, so they get lots of clothes on it, and I'm just wondering, how many times are you going to be putting out comforters and sheets on a contraption like that?

Welcome back, and glad to see you posting again Really missed them, and have been waiting for sometime to see what comes next... Just cant wait til you sell your property in Florida, so that we get to see what you did to the 'other one'...

Oh, and for what its worth, how do you keep the house in Florida safe? You being up here, and those being down there, I hope you have good neighbors and installed a good alarm system....but, its a wee bit late to be asking that, isnt it? Well, you can always phone down there and get someone to do that, (My Cousins found out the hard way, when they live down in North Carolina for the Winter, and someone broke into thier West Virginia home two years ago, even though we were checking up on the house every couple of days, they had to install one before they left last Winter-->I never want to go through THAT again!! Blasted Cops acted like WE were the ones responsible for the break in...as they always give you that...your guilty and "I" know it routine!!! sheesh).

Ok, 'nuff doom and gloom, welcome back and keep 'er comin... And give that ol nikki an extra portion or hamburger, she's woking up a powerful hunger walking after you guys on them hills again

I wish you well...

Ciao for now...

Jesse

Old 04-26-2010, 05:53 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,584,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
Men don't know about clothes lines ROTFLOL!!! Lisa, I just cant WAIT till you show us a picture of a few comforters, and sheets on THAT THING!!! I've seen a few contraptions like that, but, thank the LORD have never had to use one of those gadgets I reckon thats what they make clothes dyers for, even though it would put a strain on your 'utilities', so thats more of an option for you...BUT, I still think Mikes idea of a 20 foot clothes line on pulleys is a lot better... My Cousins have that, and they attached it to a very tall tree, and, theirs is 120 feet, so they get lots of clothes on it, and I'm just wondering, how many times are you going to be putting out comforters and sheets on a contraption like that?
Jesse
Jesse, my mother used a clothes line like that for at least 30 years and would still be using it if a tree hadn't fallen on it during the ice storm last year. Anything you can put on a regular clothesline will fit on here, including comforters and sheets. The only difference is this type takes up a lot less space than the 20 ft. clothesline. When I built one at my house I just used 2 4 X 4s and 2 2X4s, made 3 "T"s and stretched 4 12 ft lines between them. But if I would have had to use one like Lisa's I wouldn't have hesitated for a minute to put one up.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:45 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,432,143 times
Default Week Of April 19 Chapter 84

Good morning everyone. I hope you all had a great week. Mike and I have been very busy but not so much with our land and house. We also got some much needed rain. Hopefully this will turn everything green

4-19
While I was on line that morning Mike yelled to me to get the camera and check this out. I went to our front door and looked out. Our gray cow had a calf and the calf is also gray She hasn't had a calf since we have lived here. I'm not sure if this calf will be friendly considering her mother is the most unsociable cow you have ever seen.

Here are some baby pictures:

Isn't he/she cute?

Right after that we got a phone call. Someone is coming to look at our A/C for sale. While we wait I go up and plant radishes and carrots in my garden.

The man shows up, buys the A/C, and tells Mike he does Aerial Photography. He says he will come out sometime to take pictures of our place and send them to us. That would be so cool.

Later on we noticed Jimmy, our grader working across the way. He just bought 20 acres across from us so we went to visit. Mike talked to him about making more flat areas on our land while we were there.

Back at home I mowed the back lawn.

4-20
Big day for us today. We are supposed to close on both of our properties that are close to town. We find out that one of the closings has been rescheduled for the next morning.

While we waited for the afternoon to close the one piece, Mike spread some extra Lyme on our lawn.

My little onions are just starting to pop

While I was over getting water I heard all of this buzzing. There were hundreds, or so it seemed, bees in the blooming apple tree. I couldn't get a picture of the bees in there but here is a picture of the apple tree blooming.

The apple trees all over the property are blooming.

We got to the lawyers to close the property and then went with the couple to walk it. They are happy and we are happy.

On our way we got a call from Mike's daughter. She asked us to watch her daughter for a few hours. She just helped us with the payment on a heater that we sold to someone in Montana so we owed her. Our granddaughter stayed with us for dinner and then we went in the mini motor home. She loves it. She wanted to stay in there all night. We promised to take her camping for her 6th birthday in June...she is thrilled....and so am I, lol.

4-21
We closed on the second property this morning. Woo hoo. This is the one that was very time consuming for Mike and I. No more mowing and weed whacking....happy dance....yay

Now that both properties closed we can sell our zero turn mower. Mike got a call and a man is supposed to show today. While we waited Mike went down and graded the gravel part of our driveway.

We waited and waited and no one showed up. Later that afternoon we got an e-mail form him. Apparently he was afraid to come in our gate even though we left it unlocked for him. He said we were barricaded I guess he has never had cows. Oh well.

4-22
We had to go to town to pick up a big box to send the heater out. We got home and Mike packed it up.

Once we are back home Mike and I try to figure out how we are going to re do our shower. For those of you who don't know, the floor in our shower cracked last year. We knew we would have to do something about it when we got back home. Mike decides to call the manufacturer to see what they say. Hey it's our lucky day. They had trouble with the foam in the floors of our shower so they are sending us new walls and a new floor. It will be a lot of work but at least we don't have to build a whole new shower. They are supposed to send it out next week.

Then Mike gets a call about our wind generator...the big one. He has had more headaches with this and than anything else. People call and have no idea what it does. So he has to give lessons. It would be ok if they were really interested in buying it but these people have no intention of buying. The think they can plug in 1 wind generator into their house and they will run everything. So this one man says he wants to see it.

He shows up with a 16 foot trailer While he and Mike are talking I go down to finally work on the wild blackberry bushes. I brought my gloves, clippers, and one bucket, lol. Yeah, soon enough I figure out the bucket is worthless, lol.

Here is the first mess.

And after I did some cleaning.

Now I have to figure out how to get my stacks of briers out of here. It's too steep to bring the 4-wheeler and trailer. I think I will have to bring a tarp down and drag them down to the driveway.

After 2 hours with the man he doesn't buy the wind generator. Mike is not a happy camper over the waste of time. Like I said, if you are really interested we will bot help all we can....it's the people who are just wasting time that we have trouble with. Oh well.

4-23
We get another call about the lawn mower. This man is 2 hours away. He gives us a time that he will be here.

While we wait, Mike takes me to the greenhouse at the High School. They grow plants from seeds and sell the plants every spring for .25 each. I am so excited. Last year I was too late. Woo hoo. I went a little crazy. I got 28tomato plants, 4 yellow squash, 3 zucchini, 8 peppers, some marigolds and nasturtium. I can't wait to plant them in my garden...but I have to wait until after May 10

When we get home the man shows p. He is thrilled with the mower and he is also happy the other man never came through our gate, lol

4-24
Not too much going on. It has been a rainy week. After people have been on our parking area Mike decides to blow it off and clean it up.

We do have some new grease stains

4-25
Our morning view with the clouds over the mountains.

Niki and I checking out my onions.

And she's watching Mike.

Today we promised to take our grandson to the movies. We can only do one grandchild at a time, lol. They are just too much when they are together.
We went to see "How To Train A Dragon"..which was actually pretty good, pigged out on popcorn and candy and came home so our grandson could see Niki.

All in all it was a very good week. Lots of waiting, stress, and lots of ups and downs but it all worked out.

Hopefully we can stop dealing with so many people and get back to work this coming week I hope you enjoyed our shorter story this week. Have a wonderful week and I will write again next Monday.

Lisa

Old 04-26-2010, 07:08 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,584,282 times
Congrats on the new neighbor! Hopefully it will be friendlier. lol I like your garden. I couldn't afford the lumber to do like I wanted for mine so I used concrete blocks. Besides holding up my garden, I can plant something like marigolds in the holes in the blocks!

Old 04-26-2010, 07:16 AM
srg

16 posts, read 36,724 times
Hi - I noticed that you have a bird feeder - Any concerns that is will attract bears? Have you had any bear signtings.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:39 AM

wwm- I love my new clothesline. I got 2 big loads of laundry on it the other day.

kygman- The wood would have been expensive if I bought it just for the garden but it was all leftover from out solar panel stand. Hey At least I got a benefit from Mike perfecting things, lol.

Good idea with the marigolds.

srg- No bear sightings on our land and I haven't heard about any locally. In the past 12 years in this area I have seen 2 dead bears that hunters got to...and they looked no bigger than some dogs

As far as bees, the bird feeder hasn't attracted them but I am very happy when they are around my garden and the trees. They are doing their job

Old 04-26-2010, 07:59 AM
srg

16 posts, read 36,724 times
That's good to know! - Our last two visits to MC, we just happen to have two sightings - My wife loves birds and plans on having feeders when we relocate but had concerns about intruders.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:27 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,219,781 times
Lisa----I read where you stated lyme was being applied to your lawn. ( I presume you meant lime)

What is the soil ph where you are?

On my Minnesota farm, I should have it a little higher but it takes a ton of lime per acre to just raise the ph .1.

Gets quite expensive, but I got no problem growing grass.
Alfalfa likes a ph of 6.7, but I doubt you plan on planting alfalfa anyway.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Lisa----I read where you stated lyme was being applied to your lawn. ( I presume you meant lime)

What is the soil ph where you are?

On my Minnesota farm, I should have it a little higher but it takes a ton of lime per acre to just raise the ph .1.

Gets quite expensive, but I got no problem growing grass.
Alfalfa likes a ph of 6.7, but I doubt you plan on planting alfalfa anyway.
Yes, I meant lime. Thanks.

We haven't tested the ph. Actually the lime was leftover from some trees on our old property, which was recommended that we use to green them up. We just wanted to use it up.

No Alfalfa planting here.

Now, if you have any ideas or tips for my garden it would be greatly appreciated I listen better than Mike, lol.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:28 AM

501 posts, read 1,297,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Here in southwest Oregon, Lilacs, Dogwood, Azaleas, Sweet Peas, ferns, berries, etc, grow wild...
I didn't know azaleas or lilacs grew wild anywhere in the state! That would ring my bells to see that

On the place outside Portland, in addition to the wild dogwoods, we do have sweet peas, mock orange shrubs, tiny strawberries, Oregon grape, trilliums, and several types of ferns - some of the ferns grow higher than my waist (I'm 5'7"). And also some kind of small orange tiger lilly, which is very pretty. Pretty typical woodlands stuff, but I had forgotten about some of these things because they are deep in the woods, and I don't get out that far much anymore (it is very steep there, with what we jokingly call "old growth vine maple" making parts inacessible).

There are some pretty wildflowers here in Central Oregon, very bright and colorful, but so small they seem like minatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee