Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 03:12 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,129,789 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the update. All of the greenery looks nice.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:21 PM

30 posts, read 114,633 times
Lisa & Mike,

Thanks for the RV battery tip!

Regarding the clover on the sides of the house, I think this is a big year for clover. My daughter's father-in-law said it really seemed to be taking off this year. We've had a lot of rain this Spring, too, maybe that's it??

Niki looks great.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:25 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,078,248 times
Lisa....looking good.....

A diesel will take 12-14 quarts....at least Mike had a pan large enough to hold it all...., deep dodo if it only held 6-8 quarts....

On the drywall....if each coat is put on as smooth as possible, you can use a damp sponge instead of sanding....

Old 05-24-2010, 03:36 PM

442 posts, read 1,510,339 times
Lisa - Your garden it really coming along! You should put cages around your tomatoes before they get too big! I learned that the hard way - try to fit a cage over a large tomato plant without breaking the $&*# out of it - not so easy! Also - I noticed you planted arborvitae - the deer will eat it all up over the winter unless you fence it off. Thanks for the update - there are plenty of us lurking out here who don't comment too often - but really enjoy seeing what you are doing up there on that mountain.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,148,694 times
Looks like the new shrubs will fill out~and green the side of the house!

Great job with the garden. It will be fun watching it grow!

We hope to go strawberry picking this Saturday.

DS picked a quart at the Organic Farm he joined yesterday. Were any left when I got home...noooo...

Old 05-25-2010, 02:09 PM

668 posts, read 2,188,349 times
Hiya Lisa & Mike & Nikki

Lisa, on that problem with the metal building... I would take 1/2 inch styrofoam and glue it to the sides and top of the metal container so that it keeps the heat out. Each inch of styrofoam equals R-8 factor. You can get that type that they use to put on buildings before they add the vinol (never could spell that word), siding, with the double sided aluminum foil on it, to help with the glue. Put it on the top and make sure you duct tape any seams for a better seal.

On DIY (Which I used to post a lot, but, that was back when I remodeled my home and did a lot of woodworking before I had to quit), they raved about 'pellet stoves' being very home efficient in for burning inside. (Course, I could never get my Wife to go along with ANY type of wood burning stove in the house, since she grew up with a wood burner as thier only source of heat and HATED sawing wood, logs, railroad ties and anything else to keep them warm with a 'morning warmer'... She also claimed they were 'dirty' because they arent "air tight"-->I was seriously thinking of getting an "add on" for my furnace at one time, but she thoroughly 'nixed' that idea, and here I had a steady supply of pallets from the Electrical supply store next to us, sheesh!).

Nice to see you guys start your garden already. Wife wont plant 'anything' above ground til June1st, simply because there is no chance of frost up here in Ohio. So, another week for us and we will get some plants in the ground. Hot up here this week, so she will start 'rootin' around in the patch for her tomato plants...If we dont have too much rain, maybe canning season will be a good 'un

Have a Great Day

Jesse

Old 05-25-2010, 10:02 PM

182 posts, read 780,468 times
hi L&M . . another great weekly story . . jeez i love coming here and that view of the mtn is worth anything . just beautiful .
i really like the trees behind the house . . they're gonna look great .. . no one will know there's a house there .from the back at least ..

well, hope the rain stops long enough for ya . . we've been having it everyday lately , but fortunately only in the late afternoon . so at least i get 1/2 day of sun.. . and my garden is doing fine .. tho the green peppers seem to have disappeared. . well , i thought we had 4 plants and today i only saw 1 ??? hmmmm ??
we've got about 10 tomatoes on the 4 plants. . harry cant' wait for his tomato,mayo and toast sandwich . his fave
well have a good week . dont 'forget to smell the roses . . well , you know what i mean .
take care . . Jeanne

Old 05-26-2010, 11:11 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,200,602 times
Quote:
Then he heads down to pick up a new load of rock to dump into the ditch. While I wait for him to come back with the rock I start mowing the back yard. Once he gets up top, he dumps the rock and I place the rock in the ditch line. I finish and go back to mowing while Mike gets more rock. We do this a few times. On the final round Mike asks me to go down and help him load up. So I jump on the tractor and head down to the rock pile with him.
Foul, foul, foul! I'm calling for a work stoppage~~~ is Mike just scooping up the first loads then bringing them to you? If yes then you have to pick up each rock twice once to load it and once to unload it correct? While he is sitting on the tractor driving down the drive, scooping up rocks, then driving back up the drive. That is unfair labor practices girly pick up Niki & head over here for a minute of girl's secret union meeting.

Thanks for the updates and all your hard work you both do and still sharing it with all of us. Niki is just the bonus.

BTW your little girl garden looks fabulous.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:44 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,411,735 times
Pam&Bill- Down boy..to Petie the Pomeranian, lol.

smartygurl- Thank you for writing in.

jlrbhjmnc- The clover has gone crazy but it gets taller than we expected. Oh well. Your welcome about the battery tip...to bad the manufacturers don't fix this decades old problem

Bones- I am very happy our container held all of the oil.

I would love to use a sponge on the drywall but as of right now we still haven't got back to that so it's pretty hard.

Loves mountains- Got the cages on As far as the deer..I'm hoping they have enough food around the property. They don't usually come very close which is good for the plants but bad for watching them.

Gue- We love the green. That's why we try to plant evergreens.

wwm- Thank you for the input.

JEANNE61-I love that people can't tell we have a house here.

Jaxson- Don't worry, Mike is pulling his share, lol. It's double work on both ends. Our tractor isn't strong enough to scoop up a full bucket of rock. So some gets scooped and then we load the rest. Mike was doing this himself last week while I laid out the rock in the ditch...after he dumped it. This week we have been doing both "ends" together...which Niki doesn't like because she has to stay in the house.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:08 AM

18,126 posts, read 11,765,860 times

Lisa & Mike,
Wonderful home! I can see you both took pride in what you are doing. This home looks so cozy nestled in the hills surrounding trees and animals.

Wishing you both many, many years of love and happiness in your new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee