Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 07:59 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times

Advertisements

Just curious, what are Tampians view of Miami? Do you view it as positive or negative, would you consider living there or visiting, what is the general opinion of Miami?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 10:40 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,382,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Just curious, what are Tampians view of Miami? Do you view it as positive or negative, would you consider living there or visiting, what is the general opinion of Miami?
I believe its "Tampan's" not "Tampians"

Old 11-27-2008, 07:44 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,240,813 times
I wouldnt live there personally but I have visited a few times and would most likely return again. Mostly because you can go have a weekend get away for pretty cheap when you compare to any other sort of get away.. 4 hour drive, hang out on really nice beaches, eat some dinner, go party if thats what your into or just go for a sunset boat tour at the baywalk thing. get a room for the night, beach it again (or do something else, there is plenty to do.. I just happen to like clear water to swim in so i take advantage ). Overall it can be pretty ghetto but I really dont hang out walking around odd streets, I park by where i am going, do my thing and get in the car and go to the next.. never been any more worried there then I get here in tampa

Old 11-28-2008, 11:34 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,085,740 times
Here in Tampa we love Miami - from a nice, safe distance. We like to go there for special events and short vacations, but not many people have big ambitions to relocate there.

The traffic is madness. Every time I've been in or drove through Miami I've seen no less than three fresh car wrecks - like an SUV on it's roof with the wheels still turning and the smell of rubber in the air, and people just dodging the mess at 90 mph. You have to drive very aggressively in Miami, but once your in South Beach it's good times.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:00 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,968,785 times
I liked visiting there but couldn't wait to get home to St. Pete. It's always "on" in Miami - and there's the whole scene that I'm just not into - but it was fun for a weekend. South Tampa has a scene that tries to be South Beach Lite so you can always find it in Tampa too :-P

Old 11-28-2008, 02:03 PM

198 posts, read 959,963 times
Have driven through and would like to visit for maybe a day or two but thats about it. No desire to live any farther south than we currently do.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:23 PM

106 posts, read 433,740 times
I lived in Miami a couple of years ago as an employment relocation package (2.5 stint). Here is a thread, very lengthy, about Miami where you can read further:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/miami...america-5.html

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
I did not open the thread, but at one point contributed by writing the following:

"Some idiot wrote something about resentment toward wealthy hispanics. Ridiculous. I guess this means in Boston they don't like wealthy Irish or in Seattle they resent wealthy Asians? I have money, money does not make the man (or woman). It really comes down to respecting your fellow man/woman at any social or financial standing; to be treated as you would want to be treated by others and ultimately here is the problem in Miami from my perspective...and yes, you have to live there to understand.

I worked with great people of Peruvian, Colombian, Equadorian, Venezuelan, Cuban, etc. backgrounds (I am anglo). After 2.5 years of contemplating why everything seems backwards in Miami I asked my associates why my girlfriend and I felt mistreated in Miami. The most concise explanation was that, typically, Americans are taught RESPECT is EARNED; lead by example, walk the walk, treat your elders and others with honor and dignity as you would expect in return. However, the MACHISMO attitude (as explained by my cohorts) is one where you start on top and demand respect. When a cashier or business person feels as though they are not given that respect (maybe lost through translation) instead of walking away, they explode and become very confrontational as if their honor is in jeopardy. As if they have to be broken down a little or the arrogance / attitude is to be knocked down or back before they will lower themselves to your standing.

From the 14 year old whistling at my girlfriend (who I confronted), the old ladies in the grocery stores purposefully ramming carts into mine (who I confronted), to the business owners who told me this was their town, to the guy who slapped his hands on the back of my car as we were driving 45 mph (who I confronted) down the road, to the constant cutting in line, I was challenged every day for 2.5 years.

And lets not forget that many other cultures around the world treat women in a lesser light; this was certainly true for my girlfriend who was constantly harassed, whistled at, yelled at, etc. in Miami.

You will find Miami a rude, classless, greedy, 2nd world mentality unlike any other American city......if you live there.

Lastly, Miami, Florida FYI:
• Hispanic (65.8%)
• Black (22.3%)
• White Non-Hispanic (11.8%)
• Other race (5.4%)
• Two or more races (4.7%)
• American Indian (0.5%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)"
__________________________________________________ _________________________
I just read a thread here about the "burn out factor of NYC".........Miami has a high burn out factor as well in my opinion. I won't even go there on vacation.

Lastly, while I lived in MeHammy my girlfriend moved to Tampa. I came up here (and I now live in Tampa) as often as I could manage. There are a lot worse places to live than Tampa/St. P in the US.

Happy Hunting.
Peace.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:34 AM

428 posts, read 1,631,341 times
I hate to say it, but my brief experiences in Miami were similar to the above poster's. I look Anglo (although I am half-Italian), and I felt very uncomfortable in some decidedly "OK" areas of Miami.

Skip Miami, go to the Keys (for a visit).

Old 11-29-2008, 02:03 PM

849 posts, read 2,923,750 times
Don't care for it. I only go there when I take a cruise out of the Port of Miami. Or when I have to pass through on my way to the Keys. I spent some time there on and off, most recently about a year ago. I can't stand going to a Wal Mart where NO ONE..not even the clerks...spoke a lick of english. Pathetic. And this was pretty close to an upscale hotel I was staying at. Reminded me of areas of Los Angeles- one of the reasons I moved out of that sh**hole. It's a shame,because Miami does have lot to offer, has beautiful beaches, and a lot of activities. I have no problem with a mixing of cultures, I am half asian myself. But this is still America, and english is the primary language.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:36 PM

442 posts, read 1,579,433 times
I think Miami is seen as a cesspool to any non-native who has spent any significant time there. I think it's great for a little bit of a get away, some partying on South Beach, but I don't think I could ever live there. People drive like maniacs and they do have a reputation for being very rude and non-english speaking. I think that areas north of Miami are much more tolerable and/or enjoyable, such as areas of Broward County and certainly Palm Beach County - I personally love those areas. Miami is probably a little too intense for anyone who was not born/raised there or who is not a millionaire, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay