Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 02:16 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times

Advertisements

Broward County and Palm Beach County do seem quite nice....I like the feel to that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 08:18 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,682,743 times
It is such as shame that Miami has become what it is. I grew up there and moved here about twelve years ago. While I still prefer Miami to Tampa, I am only here because I love my job, I have to admit that the complaints everyone has been making are valid. I wish the Miami I grew up in was still that way.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:08 AM

43 posts, read 191,047 times
I really like Coconut Grove. It is a really cool place. The Versailles is an awesome restaurant so i look forward to eating there when I visit Miami. Aside from that, the place is a hell-hole. I have been down there multiple times and the people there are just plain rude. Nobody has consideration for their fellow man. People there want to cut you off in line whether you are at Dunkin Donuts or waiting in traffic. Here is a prime example. I was down there six months ago. I was vaiting in a valet line for my car. Some stupid lady clearly cuts in front of me and hands the guy her valet ticket. It was very obvious that I was in front of the lady and the valet guy knew but didn't do anything about it. I almost got in a fight with the valet guy. That place totally sucks.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:51 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,682,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTampaSurfer View Post
I really like Coconut Grove. It is a really cool place. The Versailles is an awesome restaurant so i look forward to eating there when I visit Miami. Aside from that, the place is a hell-hole. I have been down there multiple times and the people there are just plain rude. Nobody has consideration for their fellow man. People there want to cut you off in line whether you are at Dunkin Donuts or waiting in traffic. Here is a prime example. I was down there six months ago. I was vaiting in a valet line for my car. Some stupid lady clearly cuts in front of me and hands the guy her valet ticket. It was very obvious that I was in front of the lady and the valet guy knew but didn't do anything about it. I almost got in a fight with the valet guy. That place totally sucks.
I find that just as often here. Seriously, Brandon has some of the rudest people in the state. Maybe it's a Florida thing?

But I agree about the Grove. I love the place. That used to be my hangout back in the mid 1980's. We were such bad kids lol.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:49 PM

I think it has gotten worse in Tampa over the years with people being rude but I don't think it is even close to Miami. There are certain areas of Miami in restaurants where people look at you crazy if you order in English.

One cool thing about Miami though is that things don't get started until really late. You can go into a restaurant there on a Friday night at 11:30 pm and there are tons of people eating dinner. It would be the equivalent of going to dinner in a restaurant in Tampa at 7:30 or 8.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:25 PM

849 posts, read 2,922,288 times
That's just typical in any large city. Tampa is certainly not a BIG city. Miami, LA, New York, Chicago, et. al. are all like that. Each time I go to LA, I realize why there are freeway roadrage shootings. When I drive through Chicago, I realize if you aren't doing 20 over the posted limit, you'll be run off the road. In Miami, it's not speed that kills, it's boneheaded drivers who zip in and out like they're threading a needle. Tampa has it's share of rudeness, but it is on a much different level than Miami. Miami is rude on the roadway 90% of the time, Tampa only about 40...lol.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:06 PM

106 posts, read 433,548 times
"Some stupid lady clearly cuts in front of me and hands the guy her valet ticket. It was very obvious that I was in front of the lady and the valet guy knew but didn't do anything about it. I almost got in a fight with the valet guy. That place totally sucks. (QUOTE)"
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
Damn, that brings back a flood of stories. Cutting in line is everyday in Miami. Another guy I worked with (US citizen born in Equador, grew up in Rico, went to college in Louisiana) would do this all the time. He clearly knew proper ediquet, but also that he could get away with as a latin IN MIAMI.

Anyway, one of my many line stories:
The Scene: Home Depot, West side of Little Havana. 2pm. Near Coral Gables.

Music: Madonna. Yes, Madonna. I hadn't heard Madonna in like a dozen years, yet there she was - as bad as ever (only in MeHammy). Later I had to wear my walkman because all of the music everywhere is Regatone (same beat in every song or some other latin screeching).

The Line: I am like 2 feet taller than everyone in the store, the only anglo, and have my headphones on in a 8 person line.

The Man: Suddenly a torrent of rain starts coming down outside. The exit is blocked off, people are gazing at the parking lot. Then some 4 foot tall weasel tries to snake 3 people in front of me.

Nay I Say: I grabbed a broom stick out of my cart and reached over the 2 people in front of me and tap him on the right shoulder. YIKEs!
The response: In classic Mehammy fashion, the "Double T Rex Arm Toss" - basically you keep your elbows against your sides, but move wave your hands up in the air all crazy. Then start yelling in Spanish and frown like you did nothing wrong. Then his son, just a sidgeon larger, starts in.

ALAS: I have my secret weapon - headphones!

Old 12-02-2008, 12:29 PM

105 posts, read 550,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTampaSurfer View Post
I think it has gotten worse in Tampa over the years with people being rude but I don't think it is even close to Miami. There are certain areas of Miami in restaurants where people look at you crazy if you order in English.

One cool thing about Miami though is that things don't get started until really late. You can go into a restaurant there on a Friday night at 11:30 pm and there are tons of people eating dinner. It would be the equivalent of going to dinner in a restaurant in Tampa at 7:30 or 8.
That's true....one thing I love about Miami/Miami Beach, it is similar to Manhattan where if you don't want to go the 'bar or club' scene but still want to stay out till maybe 1 you have that option of a very late dinner and a few drinks and the place will be packed(ocean drive restaurants,etc). Tampa you don't really don't see that.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:29 PM

Miami_Dan, that is a good story. I guess thats why you don't live in Miami anymore.

Knightgoose, I wish Tampa was like Miami in the late night scene respect. It would be nice to have good restaurants that are open really late.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:29 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
I suppose Tampa is probably a whole lot cheaper for living than the Miami area?

I mean, without compromising safety too much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay