Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 04:29 PM

8 posts, read 19,868 times

Advertisements

By affordable, I mean something in the $300k-$500k range. My husband and I have been considering moving to Florida and are looking at the Tampa area. We really want to be on the water or at least have a great view of it from our home. The only homes I see with an ocean view are mansions with 10+ bedrooms worth millions of dollars.

Are there any "normal" homes for a single family that have an ocean view in this area or are we just barking up the wrong tree? I have seen plenty affordable homes very close to the ocean with a view of a canal, pond, lake, bay, etc., but no ocean view…

We've been looking online at places along the coast like Tarpon Springs, Palm Harbor, and Clearwater. We have a trip planned to come down and scope things out for a few days from Virginia around Labor Day this year but are kind of discouraged by our internet searches so far. Really wondering whether the trip down there is even worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 04:40 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,749,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara8888 View Post
By affordable, I mean something in the $300k-$500k range. My husband and I have been considering moving to Florida and are looking at the Tampa area. We really want to be on the water or at least have a great view of it from our home. The only homes I see with an ocean view are mansions with 10+ bedrooms worth millions of dollars.

Are there any "normal" homes for a single family that have an ocean view in this area or are we just barking up the wrong tree? I have seen plenty affordable homes very close to the ocean with a view of a canal, pond, lake, bay, etc., but no ocean view…

We've been looking online at places along the coast like Tarpon Springs, Palm Harbor, and Clearwater. We have a trip planned to come down and scope things out for a few days from Virginia around Labor Day this year but are kind of discouraged by our internet searches so far. Really wondering whether the trip down there is even worth it?
You will have to go north for homes in that price range on the water, and most of those homes aren't on a beach. Condo are cheaper and right on the beach though. Look at Tarpon Springs on up, although it's not beach front property it is water front. Crystal River, Homossassa ect.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:45 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,504,232 times
Not to be a pessimist, but be prepared for a hefty insurance bill if you plan on buying on the gulf.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:48 PM

6,619 posts, read 5,022,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
You will have to go north for homes in that price range on the water, and most of those homes aren't on a beach. Condo are cheaper and right on the beach though. Look at Tarpon Springs on up, although it's not beach front property it is water front. Crystal River, Homossassa ect.
The MLS is the MLS, if you didnt find any you probably answered your own question. If you work from home you maybe able to buy what would be typically a vacation home in a beach town.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:13 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,504,232 times
Curious, OP, what profession are you and your husband in to afford such a nice home?

Old 07-14-2013, 06:03 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,620,741 times
If you want "ocean view" buy a condo downtown Sarasota! Plenty to choose there.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:48 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,611,611 times
There isn't anything like that in Pinellas, unless you're looking at a condo. There are average sized homes on the water, but expect to pay at the minimum about a million for one of those.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:51 PM

17,555 posts, read 39,200,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
There isn't anything like that in Pinellas, unless you're looking at a condo. There are average sized homes on the water, but expect to pay at the minimum about a million for one of those.
Maggi is correct, anywhere in Fl you look a home on open waterfront is at MININUM a mil, and that is basically for the location. Demand is great for waterfront property. You might find a nice condo in your price range though.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:12 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,998,622 times
You will have to have a very tall building constructed because the ocean is on the other side of the state.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:32 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,803,695 times
Check into Hernando County, about an hour north of Tampa. You could probably find some waterfront property there for the price you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay