Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 05:43 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,599,977 times

Advertisements

Thanks - didn't mean to be nosy, but in another thread there's a discussion about who in the area is able to purchase these more expensive homes. I brought up that people with education are more likely to be able to afford them. You kind of support my position on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 05:45 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,599,977 times
Here's a nicer community about 20-30 mins south of downtown Tampa. Can't say if theyre' directly on the bay, but might be worth a look as well. Not much happening at Apollo Beach though, for now.

MiraBay by Newland Communities | Waterfront Living | New Homes for Sale | Tampa, FL

Old 07-15-2013, 05:53 PM

8 posts, read 19,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I thought even FSBO properties were listed on the MLS, seems crazy to limit your market to people driving by, even if you don't want to pay RE commissions.
My dad and brother bought a gulf front house back in 09, a 3/2 for less than 400k in Placida, but you have to take a water taxi there is no cars on the island, you would have to work from home, what is surprising about that is the taxes, is close to 12k a year.
Thankfully we should get a break on taxes due to an exemption we found: "An ex-service member disabled at least 10% in war or by service-connected events may be entitled to a $5,000 exemption on any property he or she owns." This is another reason why Florida looks so appealing to us.

As a couple in our late 20's, we are really trying to think about where we want to settle down and start a family. We had to move several times when my husband was in the military, and then moved to the DC area because family is nearby and jobs are good, but it's just not working for us. The closest beaches are several hours away, there are no lakes or mountains to make up for it either, and the temperature fluctuates pretty dramatically throughout the year. Traffic is terrible; I have to wake up at 4am just to get out the door before the rush so I can drive 20 minutes to work instead of 90. Also haven't had much luck making friends or "fitting in" so it's definitely time for a change, just need to figure out whether Tampa is the place for us.

And by the way, just wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to provide your thoughts and info. I'll definitely be checking out some of the areas people have recommended and keep on doing my research!

Old 07-15-2013, 06:27 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,222,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Thanks - didn't mean to be nosy, but in another thread there's a discussion about who in the area is able to purchase these more expensive homes. I brought up that people with education are more likely to be able to afford them. You kind of support my position on that.
I knew exactly why, when you asked the question . It is useless to try to explain to people when they have their mind set on preconceived idea that is based on anecdotal evidence. What you were saying was well supported with data.

OP: Your best bet is to find a house on a water body not necessarily on the ocean but close to it. Then you have the best of both.

Good luck in your transition!

Old 07-15-2013, 08:27 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,292,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara8888 View Post
Thankfully we should get a break on taxes due to an exemption we found: "An ex-service member disabled at least 10% in war or by service-connected events may be entitled to a $5,000 exemption on any property he or she owns." This is another reason why Florida looks so appealing to us.
Umm, I hate to hit you with some cold math, but a $5,000 property tax exemption means that you take the value of your property, subtract any homestead exemptions and then subtract another $5,000 from the value. You then multiply that by your tax rate and pay that amount.

In most areas, the property tax rate is about 2.5% of the value of the home, so this additional exemption is worth $125 a year, or $10.42 a month.

I wouldn't base any major life-changing decisions on a $10 a month benefit.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:36 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,222,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
Umm, I hate to hit you with some cold math, but a $5,000 property tax exemption means that you take the value of your property, subtract any homestead exemptions and then subtract another $5,000 from the value. You then multiply that by your tax rate and pay that amount.

In most areas, the property tax rate is about 2.5% of the value of the home, so this additional exemption is worth $125 a year, or $10.42 a month.

Thought the same way like you at first but I also thought if the $5000 is a tax credit than a taxable exemption pre se meaning you pay $5000 less in taxes AFTER the final calculations. For example, if you have a tax bill of $6000, you would end up paying only $1000. if your total tax is $5000 or less, then you pay nothing. If that is the case, I think that is pretty good deal.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:18 AM

No, it is an exemption, not a credit. I confirmed this wording on the State of Florida's website before I replied.

There are a number of exemptions, all stackable.

For example, you get $50k for your homestead. Then you go down the list and check off the other catagories and add up your exemptions: old? hey, take another $25k. Have a handicapped sticker on your car? Here's a few more bucks, etc.

A number of criteria will provide a TOTAL exemption, and if you vote every year, you will see on the ballot that every special interest group wants to add their constituents to the list via constitutional amendment. Last year, there were groups that wanted to raise your property taxes to give teachers, police, firemen and other government employees big discounts on theirs. Everyone thinks property tax relief is free until they get their bill in the fall.

I'm a somewhat compassionate guy, but it's not fair when a good chunk of the population (and their heirs, in some cases) should be paying absolutely nothing in property taxes while the rest of us pay more to cover them.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:40 PM

8 posts, read 19,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post

Oh, wow… thank you so much for this info! Gosh I'm glad I mentioned it or we would have been in for quite the surprise haha. We thought it meant we were exempt from paying the first $5000 of our property taxes; the short description we saw was definitely not clear on this point. Doesn't really seem like much of a "benefit" for veterans, but it is what it is. Again, really appreciate the info - thanks.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:35 PM

Here's your source:

FL Dept Rev - Property Tax Exemptions and Discounts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay