Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:22 AM

22 posts, read 124,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
What type of transponder is it Cpt Hammonds?
If it is the regular size that sticks on the windshield then it will work.. the mini.. I will leave to those who know..
Can you get more than one sticker for the mini's?
The portable transponders (either the ones that use the velcro to mount to the windshield or the suction cups) can be used in most vehicles (some vehicles have a chemical in the windshield called metal oxide that blocks the radio frequency waves from registering at the toll plazas) - which is one of the reasons why we ask for customers to add the tags on file so we could limit the amount of violations sent out - which is huge inconvience for our customers to take time out of their day to call and take care of something that could easily be easily prevented by taking 5 mins to call us (1-888-TOLL-FLA or 1-888-865-5352) or go online at sunpass.com to add the vehicle to the account.

As for the mini's - each mini must stay mounted to the windshield in order for it to work - and the mini's are $4.99 - so if you have 3 cars, you would need 3 mini transponders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 04:16 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Thanks bittrswtsilnc good information for those of us who don't know all the ins and outs of the transponders.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:33 PM

always here to help, if you got a question... just ask away

More about the Mini - http://www.mdxway.com/media/docs/SunPass%20Mini%20Quick%20Facts.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by bittrswtsilnc; 08-01-2008 at 04:43 PM..

Old 08-01-2008, 05:48 PM

428 posts, read 1,242,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wg1234 View Post
I am reading all over that it will not work unless it is permantly mounted to the windshield. I find this extremely hard to believe. Can you please explain the science behind why it would NOT work if I were to hold it physically against the windshield of my car (or tape it) while driving through the toll? T
I'm assuming there is a backing that you pull off prior to "permanent" mounting? If so, this material probably has the side effect of acting as an insulator. You've got another layer of material between the chip and the windshield.

Also, I imagine this is no more "permanent" than a parking sticker or some other item that you may have to display. A razor blade and glass cleaner will do wonders. It isn't as if it is permanently bonding to the molecular structure of the window via some space age epoxy, right? (The question mark is because I haven't actually seen the mini in person- maybe I've mischaracterized it.)

Old 08-02-2008, 07:48 AM

144 posts, read 698,358 times
I've been a Sun Pass user for many years. It definitely saves you on toll if you use the toll roads often. Sun Pass customers get about a $0.25 discount compared to those who pay out of pocket.

Plus, customer service is goodl I ran out of battery and gone thru the toll booths many times already. All I needed to do was call customer service and sort it out. They just put a charge on my account and it gets repaid during the next payment cycle.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:22 PM

10 posts, read 91,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
I'm assuming there is a backing that you pull off prior to "permanent" mounting? If so, this material probably has the side effect of acting as an insulator. You've got another layer of material between the chip and the windshield.

Also, I imagine this is no more "permanent" than a parking sticker or some other item that you may have to display. A razor blade and glass cleaner will do wonders. It isn't as if it is permanently bonding to the molecular structure of the window via some space age epoxy, right? (The question mark is because I haven't actually seen the mini in person- maybe I've mischaracterized it.)
It appears to be an extremely thin layer of transparent plastic with the sole purpose of protecting the adhesive material until applicatoin. There is no way that thin layer of plastic will make a difference in any RFID application. I plan on testing it by holding it to the windsheild in the near future.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:00 PM

3 posts, read 18,100 times
They're selling the mini at Publix in St. Pete, which is definitely north of Ft. Pierce. So the thing about not selling the mini north of Ft. Pierce can't be accurate.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:48 AM

711 posts, read 1,855,799 times
If I can't use the Mini on a motorcycle, can I use the regular SunPass transponder with one? The SunPass site isn't clear on using transponders with multiple vehicles, especially motorcycles.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIsland View Post
They're selling the mini at Publix in St. Pete, which is definitely north of Ft. Pierce. So the thing about not selling the mini north of Ft. Pierce can't be accurate.
It is not being sold in Orange, Seminole and Osceola and Brevard counties - The minis are not currently compatible to work on the E-Pass roads, and at the Orlando International Airport - as for St Pete, the mini does work in the Tampa Area and on the Veterans and Suncoast Parkways. That statement was covering the reason as to why it wasnt available in Central FL

Old 08-05-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
If I can't use the Mini on a motorcycle, can I use the regular SunPass transponder with one? The SunPass site isn't clear on using transponders with multiple vehicles, especially motorcycles.
You can use the transponders with any amount of vehicles - it is highly recommended that you add the vehicle/motorcycle on the account before you use the transponder. Also as for the motorcycle, you can google sites that you could purchase a holder for your sunpass - some sites have a clip that attaches to the handlebar. Or as for what I recommend, you can have it in your shirt pocket or a backpack when you go through using your motorcycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay