Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 10:23 AM

27,218 posts, read 46,796,264 times

Advertisements

The bill, which is about to land on Gov. Rick Scott's desk, would make it illegal to go more than 10 mph under the speed limit if a driver is in the left-hand lane.

Proponents of the measure say it could help prevent road rage, but critics say the road - including the left-hand lane - belongs to everyone, not just drivers with a need for speed.

Fla. lawmakers pass 'road rage' bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 10:55 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,665,389 times
Left lane has been and always will be for passing. When someone goes 10 MPH below the speed limit they can cause accidents by having those that wish to go the speed limit having to go around on the right.

Have you never seen the signs that say, "Slower Traffic Keep Right"?

Old 05-08-2013, 11:06 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,631,183 times
Another step in the right direction just like the new texting law, but I think it is kind of weak. The problem is most people who hold up the left lane aren't going 10mph under the speed limit. It should have been something like slower traffic keep right regardless if the person behind them is speeding or left lane for passing only. This HAS ALWAYS been the purpose of the left lane as another poster mentioned.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:22 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,826,418 times
I think this is in the right direction as well.

One that I would like to see is - when changing lanes, there must be X amount of space between the car in front of you and behind you. I can't tell you how many times a driver, at a split second's notice, decides to cut in front of me in an attempt to get that one car ahead in traffic. Because of my commute and the odds in favor of there being an accident, I try to keep a fair distance to the car in front of me but it always seems to backfire as it seems to be in invitation to squeeze a vehicle in any open space.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:37 AM

35,742 posts, read 21,110,055 times
theres is a law about tail-gaiting n you can get a ticket, and lord put those signs UP! slower traffic keep right! or at least let everyone know- The problem with our laws we have zillion tourist that have no knowledge of it- if not posted. and the elderly could care less- as they can't even see the signs. Im very afraid after what I have seen come into the store, hardly can walk- see or even drive those elect. carts, and they are behind a wheel??

Old 05-08-2013, 11:44 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,619,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The bill, which is about to land on Gov. Rick Scott's desk, would make it illegal to go more than 10 mph under the speed limit if a driver is in the left-hand lane.

Proponents of the measure say it could help prevent road rage, but critics say the road - including the left-hand lane - belongs to everyone, not just drivers with a need for speed.

Fla. lawmakers pass 'road rage' bill

The left lane is for PASSING. Passing is not speeding, passing referring to someone who is driving in the middle, or right lanes slower than the maximum speed posted. So, if it says 70, and you drive 45 in the middle lane we can PASS you. If you want to drive 45 that is fantastic, great, awesome, just get off the left lane. Matter of fact, if anyone read the driving manual, it is actually explained in it. LOL Maybe they need to pass a bill making it mandatory to learn how to read!? I don't think there is a law for that.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:45 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,826,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
the and the elderly could care less- as they can't even see the signs. Im very afraid after what I have seen come into the store, hardly can walk- see or even drive those elect. carts, and they are behind a wheel??
I hope I don't get too much flack for this as I mean no disrespect but maybe instead of an HOV lane (as discussed in another thread), there should be a lane added over to the right for the elderly

Old 05-08-2013, 11:49 AM

There are traffic laws in place, many traffic laws, however cops are only focused on speeding, as if it was the "only" offense! If someone is tailgating that means they are trying to PASS and you the a** won't let them. You won't be tailgated if you got out of the way, and didn't play games on the hwy endangering everyone else. The road is not yours. The roads are shared, and that is why we already have a TON of traffic laws. They need a bill that allows them to enforce the existing laws. OMG that sounds so dumb, but it is so true. What is wrong with the existing laws? and why are people not aware of the purpose of the left lane is the question here? are they giving driver licenses like lollypops? do people not learn these laws before getting in a car? what is going on here? this is unheard off elsewhere in the world. Left lane is not for cruising it is for passing. Just read the manual, and see for yourself.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
I hope I don't get too much flack for this as I mean no disrespect but maybe instead of an HOV lane (as discussed in another thread), there should be a lane added over to the right for the elderly
We have one already. We use it to pass the elderly, and the others who are not familiar with what the left lane is for.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:53 AM

35,742 posts, read 21,110,055 times
No- if they can't drive and keep up with the current traffic, they should NOT be on the roads at all, and then the silver alerts-- where are the families?? Unfortunately they don't have the convenience of mass transit and shuttles here for them so stay off the road so they make it very hazzardous. Like I said- They can hardly move in the store. I have one old gent who comes in at 10 PM at night-he told me he is 78,, what the heck! dangerous dude! GO home your eyes sight and reflelx cannot be that good anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay